Sign in to follow this  
Publik

Name that player type

What do you call a 'bandit'? You know, the kind that 'owns' streamers, and shoots bambis on the coast... I'm not talking about an honorable bandit, I mean the shitty kind that most would refer to as a CoD kiddie?

Hello there

I'm never really comfy,although I have done and indeed do sometimes to it, to label folk.

I'd just label 'em as a bandit, I've never encountered a thoughtful/original bandit.

rgds

LoK

a rhinocrunch perhaps? maybe a devildog, if you throw in some "blames everything on lag/arma 2/hackers"...

A bandit is a bandit. There is no such thing as an "honorable" bandit. Honorable would be a hero.

and shoots bambis on the coast...

Ahaa....what the hell is a bambi

To me a bandit is a person who kills someone for better gear. they are not honorable. The types that camp the coastal towns and kill bambis just for fun are not bandits, they are simply PoS, Pieces of Shit. As soon as there's one on a server, whoever has it in their ability to take them down should do so. It's sad to say that there are servers run by clans who do shoot new spawns.

I'd just like to meet the odd bandit who tries to rob me rather than taking pot shots from sniper posts.

Everytime i walk over the bridge near the factory north of Solnichniy i think it would make a great spot for a holdup.

• Like 1

Last night I was playing on namalsk. I was cruising along heading to the airport when I read in side chat "hey guy in the ural can you give me a ride?" So i slow down and start backing up towards him. He jumps in and thanks me. Then he asks if I could pick up a few friends.... I was like sure where they @ breh? I decided to head directly towards a buddy who was on vent with me. Sped to his location as fast as I could. He started yelling asking me to drop him off. So I said in vehicle chat. You want out jump out, break your legs and i'll shoot you. he shuts up.

start driving across the land bridge and he asks if we are going to the old hospital. I said something like that. Started to head towards the factory where my buddy was waiting. We pull up to the factory and BOOM head shot! straggler down!!

friend and I proceeded to where his friends were and took them all out.

Moral of the story. Dont get in the car with strangers.

• Like 2

Sorry, I remember the real bandits :P Not the useless shots that hoard DMRs and AS50s. I'd call them bandits, but I don't feel like they deserve that title.

Also, a bambi is a newbie. Frankie uses the term and I've seen it tossed around here as well, so I thought I'd add it to my lexicon.

A bandit is a player who steals and takes so they can continue having fun.

A psychopath is a player who finds the act of ending another player fun.

A survivor is a player who finds fun in helping other players, or in just existing.

In my opinion, it isn't the action that defines you. It's the driving force behind it, the intention.

A bandit is a bandit. There is no such thing as an "honorable" bandit. Honorable would be a hero.

I'm inclined to disagree, good sir. The steriotypical knight is a good example of an honorable glorified murderer, and they aren't even looting or killing for their own survival, they do it for honor and glory.

Of course, not exactly the most realistic example ever, but I hope you get my point. :)

Edited by Tarkastio

I'd just like to meet the odd bandit who tries to rob me rather than taking pot shots from sniper posts.

Everytime i walk over the bridge near the factory north of Solnichniy i think it would make a great spot for a holdup.

I always try this, though if people are on open field and see me first, i have to shoot them, since everyone else seems to be outright nemesis with every other survivor

To me a bandit is a person who kills someone for better gear. they are not honorable. The types that camp the coastal towns and kill bambis just for fun are not bandits, they are simply PoS, Pieces of Shit. As soon as there's one on a server, whoever has it in their ability to take them down should do so. It's sad to say that there are servers run by clans who do shoot new spawns.

so you call them pieces of shit for playing the game how they want to

so you call them pieces of shit for playing the game how they want to

Playing the game how you want to doesn't make you a good player.

However thinly disguised it seems we are back at the "Why kill unarmed/poorly armed players?" debate. Not that anyone is truly interested but I'll offer my thoughts on the subject.

i) From a gameplay perspective: After the first day playing DayZ it quickly becomes obvious that the zombies can be very easily avoided and as such they provide no threat at all EXCEPT that they give away your location to other players. Without the threat of being killed by players this makes the game one of running around picking up cans of pop. That is hellishly boring. If somebody wrote a game where all you had to do was run around and collect cans of pop I doubt most here would actually play it.

ii) From a competitive perspective: As with every game I like to play to win. While there are no clear victory conditions in the game it is generally held by many, myself included, that a measure of one's success can be determined by the length of time one manages to keep a character alive. The survival time, if you like. In order to survive there are a number of resources that must be found and consumed. These resources are (at any one time) finite and as such I am in competition with all other survivors for those resources. By killing other survivors and thus reducing the competition one immediately increases the amount of resources available to oneself.

iii) From a necessity perspective: "Bambis" are all but impossible to identify at a glance. That man with an axe, is he a "bambi" survivor or a freshly spawned bandit looking for the means to kill me? If I let him live is he one Lee Enfield away from shooting me in the back and taking my stuff? Why should or would one take that risk? Let me tell you a little story.

I tend to play on private hives and I recently joined one that, after playing for a time, I realised had a custom loot table and a lot of stuff that I like to use was incredibly difficult to find. After a couple of hours or so I had found a "Betty" van, an AK, some camo clothing and a few other associated items but I wasn't really enjoying my time on the server so I decided I would drive down to the coastal area and give all my stuff to somebody there and leave the server. As I neared Balota Airstrip I could see the zombies that announced the presence of a player and so I asked who was at Balota and did they want the van. They said yes and so I spun round and drove towards where I knew them to be. I parked up and sure enough saw a guy with a Lee Enfield running towards me. I got out so that I could swap out of the camo gear in order that he could have it and "Bambi" shot me dead. No biggie but it illustrates the point.

iv) From a roleplay perspective: I have spent a lot of my 40 years on this planet attempting to convince my fellow man that the world is getting terribly overpopulated and that, in the words of the late, great Bill Hicks they should "quit rutting for just a second and work out this food/air deal" but to no avail. They all kept on rutting and the world has become a worse place to live as a result. One of the major issues with overpopulation is that it creates a breeding ground for disease and hey presto we have an apocalyptic infection outbreak. So now I am living rough in a world full of crazed, infected monsters and lawless people, scavenging for crappy tinned goods and getting soaked in the rain and all because they didn't listen to me before they brought about the disaster. Quite frankly, the fuckers deserve to die, if only for dragging me into the problem I spent my entire life trying to avoid. They were stupid and didn't listen to those who knew better and caused the issue they now strive to survive. Fuck 'em. Consider it Militant Darwinism.

So yea, that's my take on the subject. Dread to think what you'd call me.

Edited by Bansidhe

I call them suicidal, as they are playing the game in a way which can only result in their death. The more action they seek out the more likely they will die, they won't survive the apocalypse...

Fair enough points from Bansidhe, but it all comes down to preference. I tried to be a dirty, noob killing bandit once but i found that i just didnt have the heart for it. As i got players in my scope i would find myself just watching to see what they did rather than shoot them...i must be a voyeur. Now i kill only when necessary.

Lets face it though, without the threat of bandits or getting popped at any time DayZ wouldnt be the same at all.

I applaud bandits who are a bit more original than the simple 'sit on a hill and snipe' brigade.

When trying to play "bandit" I tend to:

-Steal as many valuables I can (food, antibiotics, morphine) from camps hoping they dont notice the theft and without destroying the camp (After all, killing a cow after getting the milk is quite counterproductive)

-Travel with small vehicles and generally with only a few good weapons.

-If i maintain a camp, generally its only a tent.

-Killing another towelheads on sight (well, they are criminals after all)

-Avoid player contact, if they dont see me and i'm at an advantageus position a few warning shots should be enough. If they are well armed, just try to kill them. better safe than sorry, I guess.

Basically, i like to play thief, since i never go to cities. I enjoy playing lone survivor, not psychopathic sniper.

Edited by Tourdion
  • Like 1

nubsa is the term we use for cod kiddies, as you said.

nubsy is the term we use for bambies and newcomers.

Edited by Mitor