Sign in to follow this  
JimJam (DayZ)

What the heck is the Winchester 1866?

Yes, 10-gauge is bigger and stronger than 12-gauge, followed by 16-gauge, 20-gauge and .410 bore, in that order.

As for a carbine firing a pistol cartridge having comparable hitting power to a revolver, barrel length matters quite a bit. A longer barrel, in general, means more time for the gasses to be compressed, thus more time for force to be exerted on the projectile, thus a higher muzzle velocity and more kinetic energy when it comes to terminal ballistics. More shock, more penetration, more knockdown, more range, more precision.

There are different kinds of gunpowder, and pistol powders generally burn faster, creating more expansive gas in less time so the shot will accelerate as much as possible in a short barrel. Rifle powders tend to burn more slowly, so they'll always be building pressure even as the expansion chamber (the space delineated by the breach, the circumference of the barrel, and the back of the bullet as it moves away) grows larger with bullet travel through the bore. All the same, it's safe to say that all the fire and smoke that shoots out of the gun is potentially useful energy that's being lost as it's vented. Since a revolver throws fire out the sides and puts up a big flash and cloud at the muzzle almost before the bullet gets moving, while a carbine directs all that gas down the barrel behind the accelerating slug, the carbine should get a bonus to range, accuracy and power even with the same cartridge.

I always wanted to have a revolver and a lever-action carbine in .357 magnum, so I could load both from a single bandoleer of cartridges, but my research quickly taught me that it would be beneficial to have different .357 shells for each.

So let me get this straight a guy doesnt realise the Winchester 1866 is actually a rifle in Real life and made this thread complaining its a shotgun ingame?

*Breaks leg when running over a rock* "Sounds Legit"

*Winchester a shotgun in game* FUUUUUUUU-

I believe I summed that up nicely

This will be a valid issue as soon as zombies lose the ability to walk through walls and I can safely drive an ATV over a bridge

I don't understand including the Winchester 1866, since it's... from 1866. The main problems with the gun are:

1. Too powerful - it should deal somewhere from 1600 to 2000 damage, not 4500.

2. It's a shotgun - self-explanatory.

If they wanted to include a Winchester, they should have included the 1892 or even better, the 1894. The 1892 is also pistol-caliber but is a lot more common these days (and modern) than the 1866, which had a receiver made out of soft brass. They still make a lot of 1892s, and 1892s are what you usually see in cowboy movies.

The 1894 fires the .30-30, which is a rifle cartridge a bit more powerful than the 7.62x39mm that the AKM fires (so still one hit on zeds), and it is way more common than any of the pistol caliber Winchesters. It would also give a flatter trajectory and further effective range to starting players.

You guys know a little bit too much about guns....

Maybe this is the reason i frequently die on this game

• Like 1

You guys know a little bit too much about guns....

Maybe this is the reason i frequently die on this game

Boom, headshot.

shootin1.jpg?t=1355085081

• Like 1