seannybgoode

dark is TOO FUCKING DARK -> dayz devs listen ffs

I don't know what you're thinking, but nights are too dark. It's off the charts dark. I live in Canada (not many major cities, lots of remote wilderness), and even in the wilderness, night is only this dark when there's heavy cloud cover and a new moon. Seriously, go look at a satellite picture of canada. It's dark.

Having night time be pitch black every single night all night is a BAD GAME DESIGN DECISION... Sure, it can be really really dark when there's no moon and cloud cover, but there's no way that this should be every time I play at night. Reduced visibility? Absolutely. Black screen? What the fuck. Why would I play a game that gives me a black screen and some white specks at the top for stars. This is going beyond realism into ridiculous. In real life your eyes adjust and you can make your way around. I've managed my way in the woods in the pitch dark with no light, it's possible. Starlight throws off more light than the pitch black that this game gives you. Even arma 2 campaign nights are a hell of a lot brighter.

I love the harshness of this game, but if all I'm going to get is a black screen, then what's the point? I might as well stare at a turned off monitor.

*pitch black* darkness is only a few hours of a few days every month right? either way, this has been posted many many times before. road flares/torches help.

Night time servers are the best, Get yourself a pair of NVG or Play a daytime server. Quit bitching to many people have suggested this and It's not gonna happen.

A reasonable, cogent and amiable thread would have sufficed.

This is quite abrupt.

If you take such violent offence you could just play on daytime servers? Or turn your brightness/gamma/HDR to max?

Personally, night time is the best time.

Edit: I have been informed that brightness/gamma/hdr is no longer an option.

So take the suicide light, or deal with my black screen.

It's not realistic, it's just a black screen. Gamma hdr stuff is all locked now. Enjoy your black screen.

Or turn your brightness/gamma/HDR to max?

Recent beta locked changing brightness and gamma a bit.

Well there you go then. Yet to play the beta at night.

Did not know that the darkness problem was related to the beta patch. Thanks pogoman. Still having gamma locked in the meantime is a bit of a pain. Not much point in playing if all I can get is black.

I want to play at night, and I'm pro-gamma/brightness locking, but it needs to be playable.

This thread is as useful as someone posting "someone's shooting in Cherno! " In game. Locking the gamma eh - brutal :D

Night time servers are the best' date=' Get yourself a pair of NVG or Play a daytime server. Quit bitching to many people have suggested this and It's not gonna happen.

[/quote']

why, what would be so wrong with it being brighter that we that don't have NVG's could see well enough to survive?

Night time servers are the best' date=' Get yourself a pair of NVG or Play a daytime server. Quit bitching to many people have suggested this and It's not gonna happen.

[/quote']

why, what would be so wrong with it being brighter that we that don't have NVG's could see well enough to survive?

What value would NVGs have if you can see well at night without them?

The night is good as it is. It became even better when they removed the gamma exploit because not everyone walks around with night vision anymore. If you can't see use a flare, chemlights or your trusty torch. They exists for a reason.

I really liked the 93666 beta enforced total darkness... Because for once, an item such as the flashlight actually had a use. (Before that, I had never even bothered to use it (apart from a quick test) - it had no benefit, and use of it only had negative implications - wasting the pistol slot and making yourself seen to others)

It really did add to the atmosphere of going around towns and having to throw flares or to use the flashlight to be able to see the zeds and to be essentially able to even loot anything.

It made the flashlight, flares and glowsticks useful. (Otherwise they are just dead weight.)

...However...

Though it added to the general night-time gameplay feeling and was fun to fool around for a while on a freshly respawned character... It obviously also meant that you basically just could not survive at the pitch black night servers anymore, unless you had the night vision goggles. (...Or happen to have the time sync bug working in your favor and thus still having sunlight when others are in the pitch black darkness).

That became painfully obvious when I got makaroved down in the middle of a pitch black forest after running away from the town in the total darkness with an idea of getting to a safe position and just about to disconnect.

(I assume it was one of those NVG bandits hunting ppl at night time, but then again, an NVG guy using a makarov?... I guess it might have just as well been a time sync bugged person as well, playing at daylight. I sure know those players exist, having experienced the bug multiple times myself too, unless it was just recently fixed.)

So yeah, I now myself just stay to the daylight servers. If I play during the real night time, I just join the servers on the other side of the globe where its still day.

As far as the total darkness goes, its great fun against the zeds, really adds to the overall feeling of it. But it is pure suicide for anyone who likes to stay alive, since zeds never were the real threat anyway. When you got both the NVG bandits and the game time syncing bug players working against you, best just stay off the night servers (or at least find one that isn't pitch black and then max up your gamma, thus nullifying the point of the night).

After the darkness changes again (maybe it possibly even got changed at latest beta?)... or at least they fix the time sync bugs... or the current pvp situation changes... or the nvgs somehow change... Playing at the night time servers may start making sense again. While waiting for that, the NVG guys can keep chasing each others (and the noobs) on the night servers as far as I'm concerned.

rocket has already stated this isn't to do with DayZ' date=' it is to do with the recent A2 beta patches, which are still being optimised. Have patience and stop blaming DayZ.

If you want to have any useful input, complain here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135667-Improved-tone-mapping-for-1-61-proposal

[/quote']

I'd love an actual quote to back this up, since from what i've seen it's just DayZ being set to be a winter night every night in the mission editor, something that can be easily fixed.

[/quote']

What value would NVGs have if you can see well at night without them?

The night is good as it is. It became even better when they removed the gamma exploit because not everyone walks around with night vision anymore. If you can't see use a flare, chemlights or your trusty torch. They exists for a reason.

Go re-read the OP...

There needs to be balance between the black screen night and the free nightvision (gamma cranked on moonlight nights).. Night should mean reduced visibility. It should be hard as fuck to see. You should need flares to get around towns and loot, but you should be able to see a zed 2 feet in front of you, and you should be able to see enough to navigate.

Using a suicide light is not an option, because why would I use it and risk death of my toon when I can just wait for daytime?

I want to play at night, but I can't because it's unrealistic. ITS A BLACK SCREEN. Only people with NVGs will defend this.

rocket has already stated this isn't to do with DayZ' date=' it is to do with the recent A2 beta patches, which are still being optimised. Have patience and stop blaming DayZ.

If you want to have any useful input, complain here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135667-Improved-tone-mapping-for-1-61-proposal

[/quote']

I'd love an actual quote to back this up, since from what i've seen it's just DayZ being set to be a winter night every night in the mission editor, something that can be easily fixed.

i don't need to quote him because the tone mapping changes ARE from the beta patches. It's pretty simple. If you actually visited the link you just quoted you would realise that.

But nevertheless:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13032&pid=121542&highlight=dwarden#pid121542

In case you're wondering, Dwarden is one of the guys working on the beta patch, from BI, i.e. not DayZ.

I'd love some references for your statement that it's "just DayZ being set to a winter night every night"...

i think an easy way to combat this would be to double the effectiveness of the Flashlight //widen the beam up and maybe make it shoot a Bit further\\ or maybe add an Led Flashlight to the game? those things are Like having the power of Zeus at your fingertips.:D

+1 Agreed.

I've lived way up in northern new englad, no light pollution or anything.

Visibility is only ever this shit if it's cloudy and raining or if you're blind.

I'm still loving how people think the darkness like this is from the DayZ staff. The DayZ staff has NOTHING to do with this, this has everything to do with BI's staff and what they think is "right".