stalkarn

Hide tents offline

No Way !!!!!

Don't be so lazy and hide your tent better. There's a whole ton of map where no one ever goes. Keep your best stuff on your person.

This is not a good idea. Once YOU put the tent down YOU run the risk of losing anything you had in it, even if you're away from it. That's like pitching a tent in real life then picking it up every time you aren't near it because you want nothing stolen.

Hiding tents is unrealistic... But so is having a completely unguarded tent while logged off. Let's face it you would protect the stuff with your life if you were online so having it completely vulnerable when you are offline is just as unrealistic.... A better option would be to have a sleeping A. I. That appears at a random 30-60 minute interval after you log off. Solving the issue of a completely unguarded tent upon logging. The A. I. will not be a huge difference from you sitting at your tent and protecting your stuff if you get ambushed. The A. I. Will be just as prone to an ambush as you would be and would serve as a bit of a deterrent. Basically the a. I. Will be a placeholder for you until you log back in. It will look the same as you and have no further function other than to guard that tent. And unlike locking tents this doesn't make your stuff any less vulnerable than if you were to be sitting there watching g over it yourself.

Conditions that would make this possible:

1. A. I. Appears at a random time between 30-60 minutes. (helps prevent exploits)

2. It starts off as sleeping and will wake if you make too much noise or access the tent. A. I. Will do random 25m radius patrols pirodically every 90 minutes or so.

3. A. I. Will fight with the weapon you give it and will have similar skill to the average difficulty arma2 soldier A. I.

4. A. I. Will not appear if you log out more than 25m from your tent.

5. If your A. I. Is killed you take 70-80% blood damage. If the a. I. Wins the fight you will take whatever blood damage the a. I. Survived with up to 70% and you will be bleeding upon logging in.

Now with all of this being said. Underground storage is a plan for the future dayz so whether or not this is necessary is questionable. On a side note being able to train guard dogs that you must feed etc. Would be a cool deterrent to thieves. Although most likely not super effective it would be fun.

Edited by Blise

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but in an interview with Rocket he mentioned how originally they wanted to make the tent lockable, but after testing without the lock mechanism they liked the vulnerability so much that they kept it unlocked.

So... this suggestion kind of goes against what Rocket wants for DayZ.

Lets make vehicles and helos disappear after 2 hours, because I store gear in them also and I've worked hard to fix them up.

Hell no - this sounds dumb. I like the backpack idea - this though, man I've had a boat load of crap stolen from me - its the way the game works...

Yeah, i dont know how you lock a tent, especially if i am carrying a hunting knife?

I do understand your point. You can log off and all your gear on your person/backpack is safe, but the tent right next to you isnt.

I suppose there are a couple of solutions. Allow us to hide gear better or give us an option to booby trap the area.

This is not a realistic, unrealistic issue. This is a core game mechanic that all things are at risk at all times. The ONLY exception is what you carry on your character is safe when logged out. That is the ONLY safe storage and i pray to the DayZ gods it stays that way.

I think spider-holes would be a good compromise, obstructed by foliage.

Mostly hidden, but detectable if you happen to walk on one, or if you're looking for one.

Tents should be removed from the game or at least you shouldn't be able to storage stuff in there. I think tents should be just better log out places than open sky. If you log out in a tent then there isn't any negative effect when you log in back.

Backpacks should be the only storage so you have to make decisions between stuff you want to have with you. If tents won't be removed in the standalone and you can storage stuff in there, then at least they should disappear after you die, so you can't re-gear instantly.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 2

Let go of the gear fetish. You will enjoy your time here much better.

I would rather have my body be persistent in world after log out than have safe storage.

It has nothing to do about gear fetish. It's about an individual player is being affected when he/she is not playing the game.

I say let go of the raiding fetish.

Someone said it's like going to sleep and then your tent is not vulnerable. Well, I never sleep 5 days a week, I mean 120 hours. It's about that a game should be made for more than just those people who have time to play more often.

Absolutely not! They should be persistent when you log out.

Guess what will happen when you do something like making secure storage? I know because it's happened on every other game.

Eventually everyone has all the stuff they could ever need or want. Nobody needs to help or rely on one-another. The server databases get full of junk nobody even uses anymore. High-end gear becomes more and more common because anyone can hoard it so everyone does. People rage quit when they do actually loose their stuff somehow because they got so attached to it under the false pretense that it was somehow totally secure.

Actually I wouldn't mind if they figured out a clever yet interesting way for your avatar to stay persistent! If I had the tools and options to hide my character very well yet not be 100% safe I would TOTALLY love that. As it stands right now you don't have these capabilities built into the game.

Alas too many people would shit themselves and punch their monitor if they logged in with the message "You were murdered in your sleep.... should find a better hiding spot next time!" and all their precious little pixels were gone.

Actually that struck(hit?) me too, after I posted this. But then I started to think. What happens to the stuff that people steal? It just gets transfered to other players so where is the loss as it is now?

Yes, but then again, being offline is the same as raiding cherno for food or exploring or going to the nwaf for ammo and shit, when you're doing that stuff your camp is also unprotected and you can't do anything about what happens to it. Even if you could be online 24/7 365 days/year, I doubt you would spend all your day protecting your camp would you? Plus you would play on servers close to you to have good pings so other people in the server probably get offline around the same times you do.

I think you are raiding cherno for food when you are playing the game raiding cherno for food. When you log out to take part in the real world you ceases to exist in dayz. Btw, they never sleep in my country:P

I have no problem loosing stuff when I play, that is one of the main things that make this game so exciting. If i'm not careful I get killed and have to start over. That just makes me more careful. I can get nervous that someone follows me and my friends to the camp and that kills us but that is also just something that I wouldnt rage quit for. Just make it more thrilling. Maybe someone finds our camp when we are out to find food, well thats life. But when I come back after what ever I've been doing after 4 days or a week and find everything gone that just sucks.

When they release the standalone I'm sure there will be plenty of people online for all you raider to raid.

Edited by Stalkarn

Tents should be removed from the game or at least you shouldn't be able to storage stuff in there. I think tents should be just better log out places than open sky. If you log out in a tent then there isn't any negative effect when you log in back.

Backpacks should be the only storage so you have to make decisions between stuff you want to have with you. If tents won't be removed in the standalone and you can storage stuff in there, then at least they should disappear after you die, so you can't re-gear instantly.

I actulay thought it was pretty awesome to start a jurney to my old camp after I died. I spawnd at the coast (as usual) with nothing on me (as usual). Then I had to spend 6 kilometers running to meet up with some friends who picked me up in a car. I have never enjoyed running that long in a game before:-) And the relief when we had driven half way to the camp.

People are trying to destroy what Dayz is. No. You die, you start bambi.

Edited by Mitor

Well, if the devs wanted that, they would simply make the tent accessible by the owenr. Period.

But I do agree that there should be some sort of SAFE KEEPING. Maybe a "bank" or something like that, just make it have like 5 to 10 slots MAX. After all, it is a game that people dont play 24x7.

Edited by carpediembr

Absolutely not! They should be persistent when you log out.

Guess what will happen when you do something like making secure storage? I know because it's happened on every other game.

Eventually everyone has all the stuff they could ever need or want. Nobody needs to help or rely on one-another. The server databases get full of junk nobody even uses anymore. High-end gear becomes more and more common because anyone can hoard it so everyone does. People rage quit when they do actually loose their stuff somehow because they got so attached to it under the false pretense that it was somehow totally secure.

Actually I wouldn't mind if they figured out a clever yet interesting way for your avatar to stay persistent! If I had the tools and options to hide my character very well yet not be 100% safe I would TOTALLY love that. As it stands right now you don't have these capabilities built into the game.

Alas too many people would shit themselves and punch their monitor if they logged in with the message "You were murdered in your sleep.... should find a better hiding spot next time!" and all their precious little pixels were gone.

This. The fact that your character isn't persistent is forgiving enough as it is. We don't need tents despawning and spawning so that players can pretend this is a typical Carebear Island Adventure MMORPG and not an in-depth survival game with permadeath. Some people actually want the engaging experience--for everyone else, there's XBox.

Edited by brent2

when a player logs he no longer exists as far as the game world is concerned, the game world keeps on rolling regardless. It makes sense that anything associated with that player should cease to exist too, keeping tents in game when a player has logged does not add to realism, it detracts from it, who owns all these tents? beings who travel between parallel universes?

It also penalizes those who play less and those who play solo and IMO nobody in dayz should be penalized.

Camp raiders have the tents of online players/clans to hunt down, this will encourage players to join busy servers. No one loses out.

Beans for OP

when a player logs he no longer exists as far as the game world is concerned, the game world keeps on rolling regardless. It makes sense that anything associated with that player should cease to exist too, keeping tents in game when a player has logged does not add to realism, it detracts from it, who owns all these tents? beings who travel between parallel universes?

It also penalizes those who play less and those who play solo and IMO nobody in dayz should be penalized.

Camp raiders have the tents of online players/clans to hunt down, this will encourage players to join busy servers. No one loses out.

Beans for OP

"Logging out" is already "unauthentic" and forgiving, but it's the nature of this as a video game. Extending this unauthentic but necessary feature to the influence which your character has on the world around you makes the game even less realistic, and only for the sake of pandering to people who want this game to be something that it isn't. With all due respect, people like you are the reason why games like DayZ just don't exist anymore. Back when people actually played games like UO, things like severe death penalties combined with open PVP and the ability to track other players down meant that the backbone of gameplay was social interaction. In-game politics meant something, and it lead to an extremely rich, immersive experience. Your enemies and your allies massively shaped your gaming experience. It changed everything about how you behaved in the world. I know of a lot of people who became close friends after meeting and playing together in games like UO, because of the sort of social interaction that that open-endedness facilitates. Nowadays all anyone wants to play is crap like World of Warcraft where when you die, it's, "oh, gosh, I have to walk all the way back!" and "you don't have my permission to attack me, buddy!" Games like that are barely one notch above Facebook games--some people want more than that.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple DayZ clones in the works right now, so if you're interested in Hello Kitty: Zombies are Friendship, you may want to look into those instead. There are people like myself who want DayZ to become significantly more difficult and "authentic" (whatever that means :P).

Edited by brent2

"Logging out" is already "unauthentic" and forgiving, but it's the nature of this as a video game. Extending this unauthentic but necessary feature to the influence which your character has on the world around you makes the game even less realistic, and only for the sake of pandering to people who want this game to be something that it isn't. With all due respect, people like you are the reason why games like DayZ just don't exist anymore. Back when people actually played games like UO, things like severe death penalties combined with open PVP and the ability to track other players down meant that the backbone of gameplay was social interaction. In-game politics meant something, and it lead to an extremely rich, immersive experience. Your enemies and your allies massively shaped your gaming experience. It changed everything about how you behaved in the world. I know of a lot of people who became close friends after meeting and playing together in games like UO, because of the sort of social interaction that that open-endedness facilitates. Nowadays all anyone wants to play is crap like World of Warcraft where when you die, it's, "oh, gosh, I have to walk all the way back!" and "you don't have my permission to attack me, buddy!" Games like that are barely one notch above Facebook games--some people want more than that.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple DayZ clones in the works right now, so if you're interested in Hello Kitty: Zombies are Friendship, you may want to look into those instead. There are people like myself who want DayZ to become significantly more difficult and "authentic" (whatever that means :P).

^^Off topic nonsense

you quoted my post then made no attempt to counter any of it's arguments, in fact you make no reference to the entire thread at all.

Your wall of text rant has added nothing to the debate, no one is visiting this forum and contributing to it and making suggestions who does not love dayz, no one here is looking for Hello Kitty whatever that may be, they are just discussing ideas which may or may not add something to the game.

making tents vanish with the player who owns them when he logs seems logical to me, tell us why you disagree.

Edited by wabbit
  • Like 1

^^Off topic nonsense

you quoted my post then made no attempt to counter any of it's arguments, in fact you make no reference to the entire thread at all.

Your wall of text rant has added nothing to the debate, no one is visiting this forum and contributing to it and making suggestions who does not love dayz, no one here is looking for Hello Kitty whatever that may be, they are just discussing ideas which may or may not add something to the game.

making tents vanish with the player who owns them when he logs seems logical to me, tell me why you don't agree.

What about my post is off-topic? (Even what I said about how you're ruining modern games is relevant, because it's the basis for these sorts of suggestions.) I directly addressed these statements:

You're suggesting that keeping tents in the game when players log out detracts from realism... uh, what? Players logging out to begin with detracts from realism, but that's obviously necessary--but how the heck does making a tent which has been placed on the map disappear, too, make anything more realistic? That makes no sense at all. I explained this in my previous post...

Extending this unauthentic but necessary feature to the influence which your character has on the world around you makes the game even less realistic, and only for the sake of pandering to people who want this game to be something that it isn't.

Anyway, it's already been stated that we could potentially have digging and underground storage of sorts, so this entire idea is silly based on that, too. It sounds like a lot of the player base just wants cookie-cutter nonsense, like every other game on the market today, but that's pretty far removed from DayZ's roots.

Edited by brent2

What about my post is off-topic beyond what I said about how people like you are ruining modern games? I directly addressed these statements:

You're suggesting that keeping tents in the game when players log out detracts from realism... uh, what? Players logging out to begin with detracts from realism, but that's obviously necessary--but how the heck does making a tent which has been placed on the map disappear, too, make anything more realistic? That makes no sense at all. I explained this in my previous post...

^^ more incoherent gobbledygook lol, disengaging with this damaged soul

• Like 1

Roflmao

another johnny come lately with mental health issues

^^ more incoherent gobbledygook lol, disengaging with this damaged soul

What about my post is incoherent...? I directly addressed your post above, and you called it nonsense, and I directly addressed the one after it, and you called it nonsense again. This amounts to me making valid points and you sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "I can't hear you!" and calling me names to boot.

Roflmao

another johnny come lately with mental health issues

Maybe you don't agree with my points, but saying "roflmao mental issues" and basically calling me a noob both make you look pretty silly. If you really consider yourself some kind of veteran with more authority on these topics, it seems weird to me that you don't hold your posts to a higher standard than childish name-calling.

Edited by brent2

Solution:

You dig a whole and place your tent there then bury it with dirt.

No one will find it, it so well hidden you will feel like squirrel looking for acorns in the winter.

Down side,...you might see a field with tons of dirt mounds from all the tents buried.

Player: "Aww, I dug up the wrong dirt mound,...and they didn't even have a can of beans. Now where did I bury my tent?!"

Well, if the devs wanted that, they would simply make the tent accessible by the owenr. Period.

But I do agree that there should be some sort of SAFE KEEPING. Maybe a "bank" or something like that, just make it have like 5 to 10 slots MAX. After all, it is a game that people dont play 24x7.

Black or white sigh. No you could still acces them online.

Solution:

You dig a whole and place your tent there then bury it with dirt.

No one will find it, it so well hidden you will feel like squirrel looking for acorns in the winter.

Down side,...you might see a field with tons of dirt mounds from all the tents buried.

Player: "Aww, I dug up the wrong dirt mound,...and they didn't even have a can of beans. Now where did I bury my tent?!"

Fair enough.

I will never play a game that punishes you for not playing it. Over and out!

PS. You don't have to tell me that none is forcing me, I never said it. DS.

PS2. (< xbox) : It was worth a shot. Clearly this will end like AoC pvp server and Mortal Online. Yaay gank fest...... DS2.0

Edited by Stalkarn