Sign in to follow this  
Spunkmire

Night Time .... lets take it seriously.

Maybe they should make the night absolutely pitch black again and remove thermals and nvgs. the only way you get any light is by torch and chem/flares. messing with the gamma then makes no difference.

Maybe Rocket was right before we nagged him to change it.

I gues it is as good time for me to say this as any.

The actual gamma settings, can have a huge impact, depending on what tehcnology your screen uses, the color saturation etc. if people prefer to change the gamma it is not a cheat, however if the dev locks gamma, that is just an attempt to curb people who want to see where they go without transmitting their presence to the whole world. IMHO locking gamma, would propably result in people actually developing a faster way to change it, @#!*% i allready prepared for it, my old G-11 now has 2 buttons dedicated for increasing gamma from the nvidia control panel. each tap of the button takes it to the next 10% increment, i no longer have to go to menu ☺

You may do that, but the chances are, the people that actually exploit it are immature. It's more than likely that the only way they know how to adjust gamma is in game settings.

So you set up a shortcut, so that you can cheat at cheating?

Pointing that out doesn't exactly serve to impress. Nor does it change the fact that most people wouldn't bother.

A good portion might even overcome a challenge (shock horror) instead of having to resort to exploits. I bet the thought hadn't even crossed your mind.

Am I the only one who thinks that nighttime should be fixed slightly? As in make the flashlight NOT SUCK. (Seriously, I've never seen a game that does the flashlight right EVER). And make the night not black as hell.

I go camping at least a few times a year, in the woods, pretty far out there.

1. I can see tree silouettes and a bit of ground, even in a moonless night. Sure, I wouldn't be droppin' bitches at 50 yards at night, but I could at LEAST see where I was going.

2. A flashlight, lit in the middle of the woods will illuminate a crazy amount. More than a pathetic little patch, with a razor sharp boundary. You turn on a flashlight in the darkness, that light will scatter more than you can imagine. Try it, turn off ALL the lights in your house and light a flashlight. Tell me it wont light up your room almost perfectly.

A torch only brightens up the surrounding area if the projected light has a surface to bounce off.

It would light up the room you're in, because the walls and other objects are reasonably close. This doesn't happen to the same degree outside.

Granted the light in DayZ does seem to diffuse to nothing far too abruptly, but I imagine it would be fairly complicated to make light react truly authentically.

What I would like to see though, is an option to focus/spread the beam to varying degrees.

IRL I wouldn't be walking through the woods with my only light-source focussed to as tight a circle as possible. That's for damn sure.

I agree fully with this suggestion, even though I'm not a big fan of night servers even with the ability to change gamma and brightness. It really does set a level playing field.

So you set up a shortcut, so that you can cheat at cheating?

Pointing that out doesn't exactly serve to impress. Nor does it change the fact that most people wouldn't bother.

A good portion might even overcome a challenge (shock horror) instead of having to resort to exploits. I bet the thought hadn't even crossed your mind.

Changing a setting on your PC you can change any given time. OMG HAX BAN BAN BAN!

Grow up a bit will ya. i am forced to fiddle with gamma due to various reasons, one being if i want to find my mates, the chemlights are worth shit as far as indicators go, and flashlight is just a huge "HELLO WORLD!" sign. If changing a setting bothers you that much dont play :P

Aww, chill out, butt-hurt.

I only called you on your bullshit.

I need to hear some more of your excuses. That might placate me.

xD i love idiots like you, who confuse amusement to butthurt. Keep em coming chump :D the fact of the matter here is(which i find extremely hilarious) that your calling changing a setting on your PC or your monitor/TV a cheat, people have preference, you need to live with it ;)

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro

If you don't want to play the game properly, there are 24/7 daylight servers for little girls like you who are scared of the dark.

Cheating refers to an immoral way of achieving a goal. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. Cheating is the getting of reward for ability by dishonest means. This broad definition will necessarily include acts of bribery, cronyism, sleaze, nepotism and any situation where individuals are given preference using inappropriate criteria.
Gamma-boost is cheating, dipshit.

Whatever excuse gets you out of bed in the morning is fine with me.

I'll leave you alone now, I don't want to be accused of persecuting the mentally disabled.

[Warned - Ubi]

Edited by UbiquitousBadGuy

If you don't want to play the game properly, there are 24/7 daylight servers for little girls like you who are scared of the dark.

Gamma-boost is cheating, dipshit.

Whatever excuse gets you out of bed in the morning is fine with me.

I'll leave you alone now, I don't want to be accused of persecuting the mentally disabled.

changing a video setting parameter from nvidia control panel or a such, is not cheating. period :)

How about having your character's eyes adjust to the dark after a bit like they do in real life? If not then you can liken upping the gamma to that.

• Like 1

Problem is on a moonless night there's no light for your eyes to adjust to.

Starlight isn't strong enough to provide enough lighting to distinguish objects on the dark side of Earth. You can use starlight if you're wearing NVGs, because NVGs enhances starlight roughly 50.000 times. If you don't have this luxury item, you'll need either the moon in the night sky to reflect light from the sun or you need bright city lights reflecting off the clouds or atmosphere, but unfortunately power plants need constant maintenance and supervision, otherwise they shut down within hours. This leaves you to rely on the moon, which isn't a static object on the sky and comes and goes as it pleases.

How about having your character's eyes adjust to the dark after a bit like they do in real life? If not then you can liken upping the gamma to that.

Amen. Beans.

no moonlight + rain is fun!

every survivor like to start without map&compass at night with rain. You can barely see your survivor model. lol

I would love to have some things/events or situations which only happen or more often at night time.

I feel that night time needs some love.

Night time should be tougher, but not so silly that it becomes the domain of NVG guys exclusively. I think it would be nearly impossible to fix the exploit permanently, but I'd like night to get some attention. A few observations:

Even away from artificial lights, it's rarely so pitch black that you cannot see your hand in front of your face. A few stars, a sliver of moon, these will give your eyes enough light to see your immediate surroundings after you've become acclimated to it. It can take a few minutes for your eyes to adjust, of course.

The game has to keep rendering the environment out past what you can see, so that distant light sources can be seen and intermediate obstructions can occlude them.

Everyone has a certain amount of tactile and kinaesthetic sense, such that you know the angle of the ground you're walking on, whether you're touching a wall and whether leaves or zombies are smacking you in the face. Since the game has to present that kind of information visually, it's appropriate for some limited visibility to be available even in the absence of light.

The Arma2 flashlight blows goats. It seriously sucks. Arma2 was designed for play with NVGs. The light needs a local area effect, akin to a white chemlight, in addition to a wider, more diffuse beam. Especially indoors, that thing's a joke. SInce I can't move my wrist to look at something up close or shine it on the ceiling to illuminate the whole room, the game needs to cheat a little to approximate those uses for it.

Night time should be tougher, but not so silly that it becomes the domain of NVG guys exclusively. I think it would be nearly impossible to fix the exploit permanently, but I'd like night to get some attention. A few observations:

Even away from artificial lights, it's rarely so pitch black that you cannot see your hand in front of your face. A few stars, a sliver of moon, these will give your eyes enough light to see your immediate surroundings after you've become acclimated to it. It can take a few minutes for your eyes to adjust, of course.

The game has to keep rendering the environment out past what you can see, so that distant light sources can be seen and intermediate obstructions can occlude them.

Everyone has a certain amount of tactile and kinaesthetic sense, such that you know the angle of the ground you're walking on, whether you're touching a wall and whether leaves or zombies are smacking you in the face. Since the game has to present that kind of information visually, it's appropriate for some limited visibility to be available even in the absence of light.

The Arma2 flashlight blows goats. It seriously sucks. Arma2 was designed for play with NVGs. The light needs a local area effect, akin to a white chemlight, in addition to a wider, more diffuse beam. Especially indoors, that thing's a joke. SInce I can't move my wrist to look at something up close or shine it on the ceiling to illuminate the whole room, the game needs to cheat a little to approximate those uses for it.

Yeah I agree about the torch. Maybe they should make it like one of those you strap to your head. This is already programmed into ArmA 2 on some custom campaigns so wouldnt be hard to add. That way you can use your gun etc at the same time and it also wouldn't move around everywhere like it does now (except infront of you where you actually want it) and would point forward as your run.

Edited by Rooneye

A headlamp's a great idea. It would be far more useful with the control scheme we currently use, and it wouldn't take up the secondary weapon slot, which would be great for those times when you want to see where you're going but don't want to throw your pistol on the ground to do it.

A headlamp's a great idea. It would be far more useful with the control scheme we currently use, and it wouldn't take up the secondary weapon slot, which would be great for those times when you want to see where you're going but don't want to throw your pistol on the ground to do it.

And any with a CZ 550, DMR, .50 cal, or 74s-cobra is like Ooooh look a target practise melon.

no moonlight + rain is fun!

every survivor like to start without map&compass at night with rain. You can barely see your survivor model. lol

yeah atleast in real life i can see my hands and generic shapes in front of me, when we are at the cabin up north, in game w/o adjusting gamma you aint seeing a barn till you run into one xD

And any with a CZ 550, DMR, .50 cal, or 74s-cobra is like Ooooh look a target practise melon.

Well, light discipline is less dependent on the light source and more dependent on the brain that's controlling it. The current crappy flashlight is every bit the bullet magnet that a headlamp would be, it's just less useful to the user.

Well, light discipline is less dependent on the light source and more dependent on the brain that's controlling it. The current crappy flashlight is every bit the bullet magnet that a headlamp would be, it's just less useful to the user.

True, headlamp would just make it so much more fun for the sniper :D

I don't know how may of you guys have run around on night exercises, WITHOUT night vision devices, maybe I am dating myself, but you can actually see quite well given a clear night and a moon. After a while and after your vision adapts, it's almost like daylight at shorter ranges, AS LONG AS THERE IS NO ARTIFICIAL LIGHT to ruin your night vision.

But considering this game is predicated on all normal lighting having been eliminated, there is no reason for us to have the type of pitch blackness we get now. Human eyes should adapt.

Of course, inside a building or under a forest canopy, the ability to see should be limited by the lack of moonlight.

But it is amazing how well the human eye can see in darkness, given enough time to adapt.

Right now I feel the current 'cheat' of turning up gamma and brightness is not actually that far off what we would actually see at night. It is still worse than night vision googles.

By the way, the night vision equipement in the game is severely overmodelled. We don't get the real tunnel effect and the lack of distance perception.

I don't know how may of you guys have run around on night exercises, WITHOUT night vision devices, maybe I am dating myself, but you can actually see quite well given a clear night and a moon. After a while and after your vision adapts, it's almost like daylight at shorter ranges, AS LONG AS THERE IS NO ARTIFICIAL LIGHT to ruin your night vision.

But considering this game is predicated on all normal lighting having been eliminated, there is no reason for us to have the type of pitch blackness we get now. Human eyes should adapt.

Of course, inside a building or under a forest canopy, the ability to see should be limited by the lack of moonlight.

But it is amazing how well the human eye can see in darkness, given enough time to adapt.

Right now I feel the current 'cheat' of turning up gamma and brightness is not actually that far off what we would actually see at night. It is still worse than night vision googles.

By the way, the night vision equipement in the game is severely overmodelled. We don't get the real tunnel effect and the lack of distance perception.

Finnish self defence forces outback camps, closest trace of civilzation aprox 180km away. Mid winter, mid night 2½ hour perimeter patrol duty, Yeah it is dark, and it is cold, but atleast i saw more than in DayZ with my default gamma settings.