trexeth

Survivor camps/bases/houses + ingame money!

If you want a currency, we the players have to come up with one in game. Rocket wont implement money or currency.

Bartering is an ideal system and people have tried before to set up trading posts, but griefers inevitably fly helicopters into them or camp outside with sniper rifles.

How about zombie teeth as a currency - that way the more zeds you kill the more "money" you get.

• Like 1

If you want a currency, we the players have to come up with one in game. Rocket wont implement money or currency.
Precisely my point.

Rocket has stated he wouldn't introduce or enforce any economy. He never literally said "Money will never appear in any form."

If DayZ is supposed to feel authentic and believable, money as items, the physical objects, coins and notes SHOULD be present, collectible and stackable.

I'm not even saying they would be used for currency by players, just that it would be entirely plausible.

Even hypothetically, if you have a bundle of notes in your hand, what's it worth?

You can't know, because I may value it differently.

How many zombie teeth would you get for 500 rubles? What's that worth in STANAG rounds?

If you don't want it, you're in no position to surmise what "most people" want.

It's a method of obtaining commodities through trade, without having to produce or, in the case of DayZ, scavenge items of equal perceived value.

It's got bugger all to do with travelling light. Doing what it takes to get items necessary to your survival "IS part of what makes DayZ."

I'm not saying add a shop. That would be retarded.

What I'm saying is, don't be so short sighted as to deny the opportunity for the existence of a player-created economy.

It only works if people agree on the value of items, junk or otherwise. (money has no practical application in a survival sense, hence its "junk" classification)

There will be trade taking place either way. Players will decide what value is held by particular items on a per-instance basis.

People here are talking as if, in this "authentic" scenario, all the banknotes and coinage suddenly chose to evacuate the planet, without a trace.

EDIT: formatting

I'm all for players creating their own "money" item, but realistically it won't be very used if it is not officially sanctioned by the game. Money allow you to carry what you need and convert the rest in cash, instead of having to think about what others might want to trade you for.

Food is a good currency, but it has no value for a full belly. Bullets are a good currency but the many different calibers make it a hit and miss thing to carry.

Money is sort of a "gamey" logic:

• Money can buy you anything you want.
  • Money hardly use any inventory space.
  • Money free you from the dilemna of what to pick and what to leave.
  • In doubt, pick the money.

As i said most people are looking for money as an universal effort/wealth transfer unit.

Bullets are a good currency but the many different calibers make it a hit and miss thing to carry.

Ma ha!

I see what you did there.

It can hardly be considered "gamey". I'm pretty sure any games which use money must've copied the idea from somewhere else...

• Money can buy you anything you want.
  • Money hardly use any inventory space.
  • Money free you from the dilemna of what to pick and what to leave.
  • In doubt, pick the money.

You have to remember, any unit is only worth the value people place on it.
  • It's not a safe bet, unless a well established trade post formally adopts it.
  • The inventory requirement should be limited to reasonable stacks. Bear in mind, common occurrence also lowers value.
  • Taking the money could come at a cost.
  • It would always be a gamble. It's basically junk. (didn't stop me from filling my Megaton house with it in Fallout 3):

EDIT: Formatting hell. :|

Edited by Chabowski

Honestly if I'm in the Dayz world and have one person offering coins/paper money and another offering any of these- bear trap, can food, ammo (not for my gun), bandage,....

I'm going with the person not giving me coins and paper money since they are worthless.

I understand that we should have some form of trade/currency but this should be developed by the server's community, which leads to the road block for this to happen.

If Server Hopping makes a ingame player driven currency impossible since there is a good chance that some servers will have one system and another server will have a different one even if they are similar, there is still issues.

Solution:

Servers could be clustered into groups of 3-5 servers to a Hive. There is a larger chance of a player created currency established since there are fewer servers sharing the Hive and would lead to a one or 2 types of currencies. Ideally you would not have server hopping but that would be more fitting if we had 3 maps per server- allowing the number of players needed for this. Players can create another different character on different Hive/server clusters/server.

What would be good is to have some players start working on player driven currency projects now.

The easiest currency I can see is bandages.

Players need bandages to keep from breaking to death and you can create a system based on them where 5 bandages = X ammo of ZGun.

XAmmo = Xmedicine

Xbandages = XCanFood

Xbandages = XDrink

XAmmo = Xgun

etc....

I'm thinking there must be a website that would be able to give us a good idea on how this type of system would function.

It all really kinda comes back to how persistant is the game world really? If everyone plays on a different server each time they log on, you'll never get a truely persistant world because the world is shaped by the people who live in it and if there is no persistance in that you will never be able to establish a trading standart(unless it's artificial).

I really still hope they sell huge amounts of copies when they release and get to do the whole 'EVE-Online like server' structure, then we would have true(well truer - if that's a word) persistance within the game world.

/wild phantasies

I still want them to add loads of useless stuff to the game, uncluding Rubels. And I want to collect Comics... well okay I guess I want a mix of DayZ and Fallout Online. lol

ingame economy + people = Fail. Just a proven fact, the economy will crumble faster than it takes justin bieber to hit the ground after getting hit with a water bottle.

Play blackjack for the car outside of the building, each player holding a required part.

Or go ghetto and play dice.

if your going to have the ability to play cards with wagers then the currency just needs to be cigarettes or cooked meat, drinks, compass, map etc, no weapons... and are only achievable through picking up in game like all other items, no real world cash exchange...

but having something to do while in base/camp besides rock side to side or sitting by a campfire singing kumbya would be nice lol..

The acceptable currencies in DayZ are: .45 round, .50, 9mm SD, DMR, Sodas, Beans, those high demand stuff.

I can imagine extreme price fluctuation though, imagine this:

"I have been looking for matches for days. You don't have any spare match? I'm willing to trade these 8 pcs. of cooked meats for it if you let me have it and cook!."

"1911 for food? NO! This is my last can of beans! plus ammo? NO!... Map? you have map right? well yes then!"

First off, IRL money = an amount of production or labor a person has 'put into' the economy, allowing him to take a like amount of production of his fellow man 'out'. A dancer entertains a group of people, maybe not the baker, but by getting paid dollars is able to trade those dollars received for entertaining the electricians and hair dressers to buy bread from the baker, indirect trade (barter) of goods and services... (social welfare programs etc have bastardized this concept, and that is another issue and NOT the focus of this post). Put another way, currency (money) allows for the specialization of labor and thats its ONLY function EVER. As there are not going to be 'character classes' etc, how could there be any but rudimentary 'specialization of labor'? With nothing really beyond a clan, or group that runs together (one guy is a sniper, one guy is a medic, a couple gunners and maybe a grenadier)? I personally do not feel that any 'in game currency' should be established by the devs. I Like what Rocket proposed to give us players as many tools as he can, and if we build an economy of sorts, then great. That all being said, I like the ability to extract (and save/collect) zombie teeth. When the SHTF bills and notes will loose all meaning (as virtually all forms of production break down).

It would probably end up hackers bombing through the doors into the shelters and killing every life, + doesnt adding NPC's lag the game aswell? I'm feeling this board is getting alot of unneccessary suggestions..