Sign in to follow this  
kragz

Am I a bandit or survivor?

Am I a Bandit or Survivor?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Am I a Bandit or Survivor?

After not playing Dayz for a few months I log back in and give it a shot. Here is what happened:

I spawned inside a Balota hanger with my hatchet and miscellaneous junk items and before i'm done scouting the corners I hear a "I am friendly" voice. He also has a hatchet and we decide to stick together. I am naturally weary of this guy as everybody is friendly once under or evenly matched! We decide to head to Cherno as we're both in need of supplies and as we hit the rim of the wood that surrounds the airfield we hear multiple "don't shoot" calls. It's a group of three. One with a Auto shotty, one with a PDW and another with a hatchet. Turns out the two with guns are friends, and the third is a survivor they picked up.

I felt these guys were genuine, if they were bandits we'd likely be already dead and not discussing where to head out. However, I really only play lone wolf. It's more atmospheric. After minutes of not being able to hear each other, and the friendly 2 guys speaking French I decided I was getting bored, and it was likely other players were too. That's when things usually start to go sour. So I took my opportunity. I ran at the French guy while was holding down Capslock to talk and give him a hatchet to the face while he tells me "I am your friend dude" in a strong, French accent. I make a run for it while his friend takes poor potshots at me, snapping past my head. I heard more gun fire once I was clear and waited a few minutes before returning

On my return to the site I find 3 dead bodies and one unconscious. I took the auto shotgun, PDW and made my way to Cherno a la lone wolf.

End of the day I survived, and before making my decision I felt bad evening thinking about killing that poor Frenchman and the horrifically long loading screen he'd have to endure on this high pop server.

I think I made the correct choice.

• Like 9

Yes, you're a bandit. Everyone is a bandit, including survivors, who just don't know it yet. ;)

Liked the story, have some beanz!

Edited by GotBeanZ

It is courage to admit that you are a bandit that separates you from those petty survivors

Yeah, it's a pretty bandit thing to do.

Yeah, it's a pretty bandit thing to do.

I don't think it's that simple. I didn't do it for entertainment or at least to deliberately make them lose all their game progress. I did it to ensure my own survival. Isn't that, by definition, what a survivor is?

Definitely a bandit, lol. I would have just told them I was leaving and wished them good luck. xD

They were no threat to you at the time, and there was little reason you couldn't have left without killing them.

Pretty bandit thing to do.

They were no threat to you at the time, and there was little reason you couldn't have left without killing them.

Pretty bandit thing to do.

I feel the same way - IF you really wanted to lone wolf you could have just lost them in the woods

Your a killer - you laid in wait for your moment and killed him - plain and simple

I killed a guy who came running in after me into a building.

He saw me and ran at me, zeds getting agro'd. As he went up the stairs I wasted a half a clip into him and almost died from his bullets as well.

That was yesterday. Today, I see a survivor in Elektro. Knowing the danger, I see him enter the fire station, zeds agro'd. I climbed up the ladder and had a conversation with him, asking if he saw any bandits or anything.

I could have shot him, as well as dos other survivors I saw in town. I don't see myself as a bandit for that. I did what I had to do.

You, on the other hand, turned a few friendly survivors into some midday fun. Gotta give you props for the use of the hatchet, though.

• Like 2

I killed a guy who came running in after me into a building.

He saw me and ran at me, zeds getting agro'd. As he went up the stairs I wasted a half a clip into him and almost died from his bullets as well.

That was yesterday. Today, I see a survivor in Elektro. Knowing the danger, I see him enter the fire station, zeds agro'd. I climbed up the ladder and had a conversation with him, asking if he saw any bandits or anything.

I could have shot him, as well as dos other survivors I saw in town. I don't see myself as a bandit for that. I did what I had to do.

You, on the other hand, turned a few friendly survivors into some midday fun. Gotta give you props for the use of the hatchet, though.

dayz is turning soft

dayz is turning soft

I've always been a hero. That guy in the building was my first kill. Would have rather not done that, now that I have.

I did it to ensure my own survival. Isn't that, by definition, what a survivor is?

Yes and no actually, from what ive been reading so far in both the bandit camp and HQ, bandit and survivor are basically the same with the potential the survivor can be a hero but usually does not happen.

what basically happened and why people are saying your a bandit is because a hero would of never hit and run 2 people randomly speaking, you did your gut feeling which is what everyone does and it said to do a hit and run. im not sure if a ax to the head kills in one shot but im guessing cause you need 3 hits to kill a player on the body i dont think you killed him, just badly injured him.

On my return to the site I find 3 dead bodies and one unconscious. I took the auto shotgun, PDW and made my way to Cherno a la lone wolf.

End of the day I survived, and before making my decision I felt bad evening thinking about killing that poor Frenchman and the horrifically long loading screen he'd have to endure on this high pop server.

that part is not your fault, someone else killed them all. on a scale of 1 to 6 where 3 is survivor, 1 is bandit and 6 being a hero your a 2, not there yet but your showing some bandit traits

what would make you a 1 is if while they were speaking you killed off the 2 french guys, either scared off the guy w/ the ax or killed him and waited for near by people to loot the bodys and kill them for extra loot. thats what bandits do or at least the lone wolf ones that hang out in cherno

Yes, you're a bandit. Everyone is a bandit, including survivors, who just don't know it yet. ;)

Liked the story, have some beanz!

Some people like to play this game like a survival game. Not a Call of duty game. Belive it or not but there are people who play the game to HELP people and kill bandits.

I have no interest in killing a player that has caused me no harm. But I will kill him if he has caused harm to others. Trying to be a hero is much more fun than being a bandit.

They may have done the same thing to you, so you did what you needed to do..

Not even going to read the entirety of that post, because you can answer the question yourself:

If you do something to sustain/benefit yourself at the cost of someone else simply because it's much easier for you, you're a bandit.

Anything else, be it accidental, or out of necessity, does not make you a bandit, regardless of your skin.

At least, that's my opinion.

No doubt you're a bandit, no matter what game I'm playing be it DayZ, Minecraft, or some FPS like CoD or BF3, if I'm bored with my group or we're not progressing, I tell them it isn't working out, wish them luck, maybe leave some stuff with them, and be on my merry way. I don't bury an axe in some poor guy's face for no reason. Everyone is a survivor, but by ending that guy's life for an easy weapon you solidified your position as a low-life bandit. (Those who get into groups and then destroy them from the inside out, whether you planned it all along or not, are the worst imho.)

• Like 2

I've always been a hero. That guy in the building was my first kill. Would have rather not done that, now that I have.

i can proudly say i have never killed a player unless i was shot are or thet are obvious bandits.

eg. a guy was talking to me in direct com and said he needed a blood transfusion (he said he had a blood bag). then his friend said the guy was up some ladders so i shot him, took his beans and ran as shots cracked left and right passed my head.