Raptorattack

What will happen to Dayz Mod?

I wanted to start this because I was really curious to see what will happen to the Dayz mod after Standalone comes out. I know they will continue to modify mod with the standalone, then open it to the public. I was curious to see what people think might happen to the mod when it get released. Will it die off or will it head off in a different direction from from the standalone? I have noticed some modifications with the new maps and I imagine if is released it will turn out similar to the original counterstrike and have some really creative modifications. What does every one else think will happen?

The mod will be an outlet for players who want to jump onto different maps but the Standalone will be the stable version and it will have the new features so...DayZ mod will be for a break from standalone,..thinking we will see the mod as more in private hives.

It pretty much already has been handed off to the community, the last two updates were almost entirely community driven.

The mod has come much further than an alpha mod usually does. Odds are it won't receive any major gameplay updates, just fixes and patches every so often. It is free, after all.

I heard that the Mod'll be used for testing.
Maybe for brand-new ideas, or an experimental feature. But I thought the systems of ArmA 2 and DayZ would be structured totally differently, so wouldn't testing standalone features in the mod be pretty much a waste of time?

We know there will still be players on the mod, because of the MASSIVE playerbase.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about it disappearing. There will always be something worth coming back for, even if it's just a break.

One of the main reasons i asked this because I have seen that games like the original counterstrike still have people that play it and make mods of them. Do you think it would be opened publicly so you can download dayz with out buying arma 2?

One of the main reasons i asked this because I have seen that games like the original counterstrike still have people that play it and make mods of them. Do you think it would be opened publicly so you can download dayz with out buying arma 2?

No. You still need a Source engine game to play any Source mods, so you will need ARMA II for the ARMA II engine to access its mods.

I cincerely hope the devs will manage to .. more or less "kill" the mod once the standalone is out, we don't need to have two versions of dayZ running along eachothers.

I cincerely hope the devs will manage to .. more or less "kill" the mod once the standalone is out, we don't need to have two versions of dayZ running along eachothers.

I don't see any logic behind doing that.

The mod will be significantly different from the mod, both in terms of content and player base. There will be a site specifically for the standalone, and odds are there will be people charged with moderation of the ARMA II mod and its site (A.K.A This.). Pretty much, any updates will be coming from the community and will not affect the standalone at all.

Edited by Rage VG

The mod will be significantly different from the mod, both in terms of content and player base. There will be a site specifically for the standalone, and odds are there will be people charged with moderation of the ARMA II mod and its site (A.K.A This.). Pretty much, any updates will be coming from the community and will not affect the standalone at all.

There is a logic, personally i want everyone who want to keep on playing DayZ to get the standalone. I want the standalone to be successful and see no reason why a "free" version should be kept alive, if anything it will be "modder competition" with the standalone and we shouldn't want that.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

There is a logic, personally i want everyone who want to keep on playing DayZ to get the standalone. I want the standalone to be successful and see no reason why a "free" version should be kept alive, if anything it will be "modder competition" with the standalone and we shouldn't want that.

You really think that the mod will stand up to the standalone at all? I don't think you've read enough on how advanced the standalone will be. They will essentially be two different things, based on similar ideas.

Just because YOU want it doesn't make it the logical choice. If you took down the mod to get players to buy the standalone, I'd bet more than half wouldn't buy it. Of the other half that would buy it, odds are they were getting it anyway. All it would do is anger players. Plus, Why would they throw all of this work to waste, when they could just pass it on and continue to let it thrive without jeopardizing the standalone?

And what about the players who prefer the mod? Should they be forced to spend money on a game because you feel they should?

Not to have a go at you or anything, because I also feel the mod will be obsolete when SA comes out, but I don't feel stopping the mod is right, so these are just some questions you really should consider.

nothing just another version of dayz or a testing places for bambies and a hackers battlefeild :D

I don't follow you at all. Bis has always strongly supported modders, it's the only reason DayZ exists at all.

The SA will be very different and much more polished than the mod. The modders will continue to tinker with the mod as they always do. Over time it will become something entirely different from the SA.

I don't follow you at all. Bis has always strongly supported modders, it's the only reason DayZ exists at all.

The SA will be very different and much more polished than the mod. The modders will continue to tinker with the mod as they always do. Over time it will become something entirely different from the SA.

I know and it's part of why arma is awesome. Still, i would prefer the modders to move to dayZ SA (if possible) that's all.

I simply believe that, when you are the creator of a project, you also are within yout right to end it.

I know and it's part of why arma is awesome. Still, i would prefer the modders to move to dayZ SA (if possible) that's all.

I simply believe that, when you are the creator of a project, you also are within yout right to end it.

The Dayz team has said that the StandAlone will really restrict modders. So all modding will happen in dayz mod.

It is in the sellers best interest to have as little competition as possible. The DayZ mod will be direct competition once standalone is released. Like it or not, this mod needs to die.

Over time it will become something entirely different from the SA.

And until it is entirely different it will be direct competition against the standalone. It needs to go.

But isnt the stand alone going to be a very much more 'closed' system? To stop the hackers?

And yeah like others have said the mod will still continue to be played with new maps etc.

It is in the sellers best interest to have as little competition as possible. The DayZ mod will be direct competition once standalone is released. Like it or not, this mod needs to die.

And until it is entirely different it will be direct competition against the standalone. It needs to go.

The mod won't stand up the the standalone at all. There are already so many people planning to get the standalone, removing the mod would simply cause people to boycott the SA. All you'd achieve is alienating your own playerbase.

Secondly, there are FAR more things in the standalone, that is reason enough to get it over the mod. It's on an entirely different engine with significant gameplay changes. Considering this "opposition" is owned by the DayZ team, all you'd be doing is hurting it.

And what would that sort of competition even do, anyway? DayZ is in a league of its own. It's already pretty much won the popularity vote and it's against a full game (WarZ), so how many people are going to pick an outdated version of the standalone over the standalone itself?

Even if by some insane twist people still play the mod more than the standalone, there is obviously a reason for that. Do you think they are going to go "Oh, the mod is gone. I guess I'm going to have to pay money for a game I don't want now. I'll go ahead and do that."? No, what's going to happen is people complaining that the mod is down and claiming to never purchase another thing from the DayZ team.

There's literally no benefit from removing the mod, except for the fact that maybe a handful of them buy the standalone, at the cost of everyone else boycotting it.

So you're saying they should simply because they could? I COULD go and dropkick my puppy down a flight of stairs, it doesn't mean I should.

Edited by Rage VG

Whether the mod can be seen as a "competing product" or not, DayZ isn't being made to suck money out of everyone, it's being made to be the best game it can.

There might still be people who consider themselves fans of DayZ, but don't want to shell out £15 or so for the standalone.

They probably just recently bought ArmA so they can play Dayz, but they will only hurt themselves if they take this approach.

Bohemia Interactive aren't some glaring of corrupt fat-cats who only equate money with success. (we should all know some of those money-grabbers by now)

They are known for creating quality products, because they take pride in their work.

Supporting the modding community is clearly something to be proud of, so we can only assume it will continue.

Edited by Chabowski