cookieeater

Pistol holstering

In DayZ, communication is very crucial in surviving or dying in a player encounter. When a person approaches with his weapon holstered, it presents to the other player that the person isn't looking for a fight. Unfortunately this only works with two handed weapons. Pistols should have the option of being holstered so players could appear less hostile.

• Like 4

I totally agree. I've only been playing Dayz for 3 days now and already I've encountered so many situations where a holstered sidearm could've been the difference between life and death. If holstering your sidearm is not possible due to the engine that ArmA uses, why not make it possible to lower the sidearm just as you can lower your primary weapon?

I'm just brainstorming, no programmer or anything so I'm not sure what Armas engine can handle and what not, but I definately think this should be looked up and maybe implemented in the future.

I don't think it's possible. I'm sure if it is rocket will fix it when he can, but really it's not that hard to just point your gun away. The bigger issue is climbing ladders with a sidearm.

A working form of this is implemented in Sahrani/Chernarus Life mod. You select holster pistol with the mouse wheel, and unholster it the same way. It isn't placed in your inventory, rather it just sort of disappears until you select unholster. It worked pretty well, perhaps a similar setup would work for Day Z.

Why not, it's already working in other Arma 2 mods, shouldn't be hard to implement.

I make it a requirement for people to approach me to have their weapons down. If they lift their weapon once I fire because I don't want to get killed. I think it should be of slight importance to at least allow them to lower it like you do a two handed weapon, so that people who have a Makarov can approach someone. Just my thoughts..

By slight importance I mean it should be up there, but not infront of the major issues.

It's implemeted in the SLX-mod, you should check it out. I have that mod installed and really enjoyed the holstering and its animation etc. Maybe DayZ could cooperate with SLX on this one?

The chernarus life method of holstering would probably be the easiest. Alternatively, if the engine allows, you could force the pistol into the position it goes when you're in the gear menu.

Yeah, this is crucial. Communicating your friendliness is not enough. You need to be able to DEMONSTRATE it.

• Like 1

I want to bump this suggestion too as it is something I think would be very easy to implement and make it much more easy to appear friendly without losing all of your security.

WIth the ability of holstering your gun you could maybe carry a rifle in your backpack for special situations, but normally just walk around with a gun holstered. That way you can approach people and speak to them and they would have the time to react if you turned hostile. In the same way you would have the time without having to go into your backpack to grab a gun but just draw it from the "scroll menu".

Please? :)

Why not have the fire mode SAFE, in which when you have it on your weapon automaticly lowers and can't fire, also only when on safe it can be lowered that way people know it's less likely for you to raise your weapon and simply fire.

Yea there is really no reason why not to be able to holster / lower your pistol same as with rifle.

It's a bit crazy, Arma supports this great way of moving your head with ALT, which looks realistic and cool but at the same time it do not allow you to lower pistol, you cant silently crawl with pistol out and you also can not access inventory while being prone with pistol in hand (works with rifle equipped though).

The chernarus life method of holstering would probably be the easiest. Alternatively, if the engine allows, you could force the pistol into the position it goes when you're in the gear menu.

That's just an animation, you wouldn't need to force anything. Just add a script that when you select it, it puts the firearm into that animation. You can also add a script into the DayZ mod for holstering, but that would be a tad more difficult.

They removed the ability to holster the weapon in ArmA 1 if i remember correct. I don't know why they did that.

That's just an animation, you wouldn't need to force anything. Just add a script that when you select it, it puts the firearm into that animation. You can also add a script into the DayZ mod for holstering, but that would be a tad more difficult.

I know there's a holstering animation in Arma 2. The easiest way to do this would probably be just to scroll/"holster gun", and you "hide" the gun and you're unarmed until you scroll and click "draw gun".

If you do it that way you will have the full mag bug again. Already tried in in another mission. That's because ArmA can't save the info on the magazine and gives you a full mag instead.