r4z0r49

L85 Should it stay or go

L85  

644 members have voted

1. 1. Should the BAF_L85A2_RIS_CWS be removed from Dayz?

• Yes
    • No
    • Replace with an Alternative (without Thermal)

IMHO its not effective in the majority of combat situations, useful in combination with a sniper in certain map locations (NWAF, counter sniping in C & E). Not very accurate beyond 400 meters, and near useless for long range sniping on its own, as you can't see where your shots are hitting. Comes into its own as a counter sniper in Electro and Cherno. In most situations the Mark I eyeball is a better bet.

Multiple hits need for a kill mean its near useless against a real sniper rifle (unless your target sits there). Close up the lack of awareness caused by the infrared sights mean your at a distinct disadvantage at short ranges.

Its great advantage is its ability to cut through fog.

In Short

Cons - lacks punch and accuracy at range

- Unable to tell 9 times out of ten if your rounds are on target

- Sights are unsuitable for short range encounters

- Distinctive sound alerts others to its thermal qualities

Pros - See's through fog

- In combination with a real sniper rifle it is an excellent tool

- Great for a lone wolf who wants to avoid other players.

• Like 3

I would'nt be dissapointed if it was removed, I have only legitimately found 3 or 4 of them on heli crashes in the 5 months i've played the game, and agree that it has weaknesses as a weapon itself. But i also agree that it is very overpowered in squad play or in conjunction with a sniper.

I would be content with some kind of clothing that counters the thermal, or possibly some other way of countering the thermal, with the actual gun a very low spawn rate, or the thermal scope found seperately(attachable scopes) which would make it increasingly difficult to obtain.

Not trying to start anything mate, but if they remove all the military aspects weapons wise, they might as well get rid of all the guns, bases and vehicles military related. Get rid of the military tents, smoke grenades frag grenades, Ghillie suits and anything else that might come up as "military related".

The only reason there would be military equipment in the game is because of the military bases located around Chernarus. Take those away and we just have cities and industrial areas.

JoeDaddy92

it's hard to rationalize it with 'realism'. I mean, why does military loot spawn at deer stands? why are there m107 rounds at industrial sites? I don't care, but it's clear at some point these decisions were made for rather 'gamey' reasons (for that matter, the AWS sight is fictitious)

this is a mod of a military shooter. I think the stand-alone will be kinda different

anyway, I voted for the 'alternative'. but I get the feeling no one will care about it if it doesn't have thermal

Edited by daze23

Thermals are incredible overpowered and they are often used in combination with the AS50. Swipe a hillside with the thermal, switch weapon and boom. Any alternative without thermals is cool. If you allow the CWS, you might as well allow the AS50 TWS too.

• Like 1

Nothing should flat out go, if anything we need more weapons in the game. Replacing it with something else, I'm all for. But no more thermals in the game. Makes it easy mode.

-My 2 cents

• Like 1

Please, remove it.

I would love to see the night vision out of the game as well, it would be awesome to see people actually using their flares/chemlights and flashlights again.

• Like 7

See the L85 in of itself is overall a bad gun (personal opinion) But the Thermal makes a GREAT advantage, much like NVG's So I think there should be some form of thermal goggles.

But on a gun I thin the L85 was balanced, it really was, but rocket removed it because THEY WERE MORE COMMON THEN M4's.

So I think the L85 is good, but I'd rather have TVG's (thermal vision goggles).

Please, remove it.

I would love to see the night vision out of the game as well, it would be awesome to see people actually using their flares/chemlights and flashlights again.

I have NVG's but I still use my lights, chems and flares because sometimes a good flare is all I need and at night time NVG's tend to get you shot seeing as how supposedly on 2% of people have them. (i think that is a false)

Yep, there's no need for the thermal l85, dmr, m14, as50, or m107.

If people feel the need to snipe then let them use the cz550. The Lee is also just as effective. Maybe make the m24 "THE" new weapon of choice for snipers; having it and it's ammo spawn only at chopper crashes.

Again, this is a zombie mod. If people want to make it war then let them go play the wasteland mod. And if people still feel the need to battle it out in zombieland, let them man up and do it face to face.

• Like 1

I would take the l85 OVER any other AR in game.

Should be the non thermal one, more common too !

I enjoy using the actual gun though, very low recoil, very accurate and has pretty good ROF. Plus it can be zeroed.

Edited by sunnz

Remove it, with all the other op guns: l85, m107, as50. No matter how rare you'll make em, they will be duped and hacked, the only way to have a balanced game is to make em "illegal", so you can ban those players using one.

How about just making a counter for thermals? An emergency Survival blanket that shields your body heat for example, while making you highly visible to others. That could also be worn during the rain when you need to warm up.

Here is your chance to keep the l85 ingame. This poll will run till Sunday 2nd December

My personal opinion is findable, and addable attatchments to almost any gun.

so the L85 Thermal doesnt spawn, but you may add a thermal if you please.

If we are not taking the SA then yes thermal should be taken out of the game entirely. In the SA there should be thermal weapons but there will be a counter to them. Such as if you have a ghillie you will not show up on thermal.

under what logic is a ghillie invisible to a thermal scope that picks up HEAT signitures?

Edited by Lupatchi

Might be a good idea to drop the GPS as well, shouldn't have any rifles with a zoom function, keep things as close as possible to a FPS shooter with close combat.

I like to kill fresh spawns and anyone who gets hungry and comes into the grocery store, sucks when someone can scout you out from a distance, or shoot you through the windows when you camp.

• Like 1

I think it should stay, The only reason I play the game is for the military equipment, I love using the NV and thermal gear, Someone said make it so wearing a ghillie will hide from thermal, That is not realistic, Thermal shows everything in real life so it should in game, Make the gear extremly rare and limit thermal viewing range to say 500 meters? Make the Nv not as affective in rain or fog? Also change the thermal vision to black and white like proper military thermal is, not orange...

Please keep in game thou, its the best part of the game for alot of us.

• Like 1

under what logic is a ghillie invisible to a thermal scope that picks up HEAT signitures?

well people are always saying a ghillie is very hot to wear. that means it's insulating the heat, and less heat is escaping, therefore making it harder to detect the heat radiating from your body

well people are always saying a ghillie is very hot to wear. that means it's insulating the heat, and less heat is escaping, therefore making it harder to detect the heat radiating from your body

Thermal does not work like that dude.. there is no getting away from it. You change the way it works and its not realistic anymore

Thermal does not work like that dude.. there is no getting away from it. You change the way it works and its not realistic anymore

so why is exposed skin the brightest thing on a person seen through thermal?

I'm not sure a gillie would make you "invisible", but it seems it would make you less visible

http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/L85A2_AWS

The L85A2 variant found in Dayz comes with a fictional Gen4 AWS (Advanced Weapon Sight).

The fictional AWS is a hybrid of the current CWS (Common Weapon Sight) and FTS (FIST Thermal Sight) deployed as part of the current BAF FIST (Future Integrated Soldier Technology) programme. It is not currently possible to mount both of these sights on a standard Picatinny L85A2. This "AWS" is comprised of the CWS Pilkington/Qioptiq MAXIKITE2 x6 image intensifier night scope and the FTS Qioptiq VIPIR-2 x2.7 LWTI (Light Weight Thermal Imaging) Uncooled Thermal sight.

so why is exposed skin the brightest thing on a person seen through thermal?

I'm not sure a gillie would make you "invisible", but it seems it would make you less visible

Exposed skin gives of more heat signiture than covered skin.. there is still heat from body temp so will show through clothes. like looking at a car, the engine area, tires and brakes show brighter than say the car body. they are the warmest part of the car.. If there is heat in any way the thermal will pick it up.

Exposed skin gives of more heat signiture than covered skin.. there is still heat from body temp so will show through clothes. like looking at a car, the engine area, tires and brakes show brighter than say the car body. they are the warmest part of the car.. If there is heat in any way the thermal will pick it up.

but exposed skin is not the warmest part of the body. it's just exposed. if you managed to cover it all up, and wear something that insulates better than 'normal' clothing, it seems you should have less of a heat signature

I mean, haven't you seen Predator? :D

Edited by daze23

but exposed skin is not the warmest part of the body. it's just exposed. if you managed to cover it all up, and wear something that insulates better than 'normal' clothing, it seems you should have less of a heat signature

I mean, haven't you seen Predator? :D

LOL fair call..

Im just disapointed with the votes i guess. would be great to keep the thermal and even if was only goggles but will have to wait and see I guess.. Years ago the russians or germans (cant remember) invented a suit which made you really hard to pick out with NV but dont think anything been done to hide from thermal as of yet??

I realise its just a game and has to have balance but think its important to keep it as real as possible.. Mayb batteries for the optics would be an option like others have said? Many things can be done without removing them completely. Mayb have it as a server option? Thermal/NV enabled and disabled?