Sign in to follow this  
roundkickkid

IRL Dayz Video [Pre-Production]

Okay so as a filmmaker that loves dayz I though, "Hey I should totally make a Dayz video, no ones done it yet." Then someone did make one like, but not like what I had in mind. I wanted to go the more dramatic approach and since I am filming a 3 minute zombie short (non dayz related, its actually a dark comedy revolving around society and less about brain eating) Ill have some supplies left over that will be needed to be used up. So I am thinking about writing up a story that sums up some of my experiences in dayz.

Now the question is how would the community of dayz like to see a video be done? I have a few ideas:

1. Like a normal film, where there are camera cuts and complete control and placement of the camera to create a cinematic feel.

2. POV view with a helmet cam. This could create that feel of actually being in the game and actually being there. This would be a more "video game feel"

3. A "chose your own path" style video were the story happens in several videos, each one ending with several options you can chose and what to do and would lead you to the next video. This would be interesting and could touch on the many different decisions you have to make in Dayz, and the consequent that follow them. This could also be done in either a cinematic movie style or POV video game style.

What would you guys like to see?

Try and shoot on gloomy days. Definatley adds to the experience.

Add some abstract shots in between scenes. ie: abandoned train tracks, time lapse of something, or whatever for a few seconds. I've used this before. It's sort of like eye candy in between scenes.

Reference beans.

Thanks for the tips Nickprovs.

But really out of 100+ views only 1 response? I want to know what the people want to see, something like a cinematic movie, or a first person point of view where you can control what happens or something else!

this sounds corny as fuck

Great post, glad you put your input in otherwise I don't know what I would of done.

Sarcasm aside, I see why you have that signature, your posts are shit.

It's not how real movie making work.

Do what YOU want to do, show what you want to show.

Don't make something to make it work, do something you love or it s already missed :/

You will have lot of answers and nothing really usable, each director make a different movie with the same script.

Do what you want to do with your gutts and that s gonna be awesome.

That's the thing I'm having a hard time deciding how I want to go around doing the video and I was looking for input.

Hey I'm bored right now. As a fellow film hobbyist, what do you shoot with? I use a hacked Panasonic GH2, and omg the quality of the footage is amazing for the price.

Just curious.

Hey I'm bored right now. As a fellow film hobbyist' date=' what do you shoot with? I use a hacked Panasonic GH2, and omg the quality of the footage is amazing for the price.

Just curious.

[/quote']

oh trust me I will love to talk about it, using a hacked T2I and while not as sharp and amazing as the GH2 hacked I do like the fact that the T2I has more dynamic range the color tones are nice. Use a lot of vintage glass on the camera which help with saving cash.

Hey I'm bored right now. As a fellow film hobbyist' date=' what do you shoot with? I use a hacked Panasonic GH2, and omg the quality of the footage is amazing for the price.

Just curious.

[/quote']

oh trust me I will love to talk about it, using a hacked T2I and while not as sharp and amazing as the GH2 hacked I do like the fact that the T2I has more dynamic range the color tones are nice. Use a lot of vintage glass on the camera which help with saving cash.

Yeah when I went to get a camera it was between the GH2 and the Rebels. What I really like about the Canon DSLR's is that you get a natural cinematic look right off the bat. I use an old 50mm prime Nikon ai-s lens from the 80's for video which gets me closer to that look but still have to do some more in post.

Where as in the Canons, even people who never touch their stuff in post usually get a filmic look which is cool. And I don't have another $250 to blow on a memory card for my Camera either so I have a less powerful SD that can run hacks at about 100mbps which is still really good.

What kind of vintage lenses do you use btw? And anyway, I'd love to see how the project comes out!

sounds awesome!

a good off-voice can do a lot for the ambience and stuff !

Got a rough layout for the script set out that I feel good about and I also got some of the makeup required for the zombies in today. Got my bean reference in there too so don't worry about that. Now to just make sure I don't need to touch on any other subjects that I might be leaving out, and if I am leaving anything out can I fit it in without it seeing forced.

I would agree that shooting on a gloomy day works well for films, that or you can always use effects to make it appear gloomier.

If I were to make a DayZ movie I would make it like this.

-Begin with the spawn. (Shot of the "ocean" and have a voice over discussing waking up there.)

-Have first interaction with a zombie and losing it/possibly killing it with a gun you happen to find.

-First night (Possible time lapse shot)

-Interaction with another survivor/bandit. (You meet a survivor and as you start talking or trading items he gets sniped in the head causing you to run and hide. More voice over about this horrible new world)

Take it or leave it but here are my suggestions or ideas for something I would do if I had the time and money to make a video of DayZ

The weather has been quite rainy lately with lots of overcast days. Now to just find a cheap motorcycle helmet for the helmet cam rig I am building. Trying to hurry with pre production because of a film festival that I am working on coming next month so will try to keep you all updated.