colekern

Better GPS.

A lot of this will be added in the standalone, obviously. But there's one thing that might be left out, and it could be really useful: setting your home. Pretty much every modern GPS let's you do this, and it would just make sense to add it in standalone.

It could also add an interesting gameplay mechanic.For example, if someone kills the guy who has the GPS, the home location would still be saved on the GPS and it would lead he guy right to the dead guys home base.

• Like 1

And what purpose would people have to set their home?

And what purpose would people have to set their home?

To find it later.

I'd rather have something like tha DAGR then again with all the regular/ and some vet servers, too that shove everything up uranus every gadget you have is useless because you can set waypoints, have friendly and enemy nametags and 24/7 daytime etc. anyway.

To find it later.

I memorize where I settle at all times, so I don´t need it.

I memorize where I settle at all times, so I don´t need it.

I try to but it can be tricky finding those tents you put in those grouped trees.

I try to but it can be tricky finding those tents you put in those grouped trees.

Wont make it any easier with a GPS tbh, just remember the layout of the trees or make a marker on the map (save an image to your computer and mark it with a red pencil dot), I´d do that even if I had a GPS, makes my spot safer.

man if you cant find your own tent spot the you have no hope in working out how to use a gps sorry to say all you need is a map and cords like 084/053 and look if its in the low left side or hight right side so ezy even i can do it

• Like 1

lol.. I'm sticking by my earlier comments. A marker on your gps displaying the exact location of your tents would make it easier to find them.

It would just be a feature that would be there for ease or adding a new gameplay element. I know you can memorize where your home base is.

• Like 1

Saving would have to be the worst idea possible. Not only did you die and lose everything on your body, but you also lost your backup plan.

I want a gps that tracks how far I've walked, i think that would make me cry though

i like it

Edited by KC Pr3lLoX

Saving would have to be the worst idea possible. Not only did you die and lose everything on your body, but you also lost your backup plan.

I want a gps that tracks how far I've walked, i think that would make me cry though

Which is why it should be optional. A smart player will protect his backup plan. A not-so-smart player will give one lucky bandit the mother load.

Actually, my issue with GPS is that it gives you coordinates instead of showing where you are exactly in the map. Pretty much any modern GPS does this (and they are not military grade !). Many even tell you which direction you are facing :/ (My Tomtom does :P)

Hell, with a GPS you shouldn't even need a map anymore !

clearly this thread is inhabited by people unable to use the Arma 2 GPS properly, the GPS shows you where you are what direction you are facing and not to mention if you dont have a map it works as one too.

/facepalm

To the OP, interesting idea, I am not crazy about GPS being in game at all.

@ Rivy - Right Ctrl + M

It brings up the GPS map on the right side of your screen.

I don't like having GPS in game. It makes navigation too easy and spoils a lot of the "I'm lost" fun you can have.

I would rather see, unique maps per player, no markers shared etc, but your scribbles and markers are on YOUR map, even after it's stolen.

And varying styles of maps, so they're not all military maps, maybe local authority OS maps? In Cyrillic?

• Like 1

@ Rivy - Right Ctrl + M

I don't like having GPS in game. It makes navigation too easy and spoils a lot of the "I'm lost" fun you can have.

I would rather see, unique maps per player, no markers shared etc, but your scribbles and markers are on YOUR map, even after it's stolen.

And varying styles of maps, so they're not all military maps, maybe local authority OS maps? In Cyrillic?

This!

Except im not strongly against gps

@ Rivy - Right Ctrl + M

Normally, when you've played for long enough to find a GPS you know the map inside-out.

Doesn't take long to learn maps anyways.

I use the map more for specific locations and references (caches, vehicles, wounded buddies etc.), so even if you know where you are, it's still handy.

The GPS is unnecessary, and it's overpowered enough as it is.

I would be more in favour of improvements to the map system than beefing up GPS.

Unless it's made exceptionally rare, I would prefer to see it removed.

• Like 1

Maps in real life wont show you everything, it will give you an overview over your location / city. I'd love to see multiple maps introduced, one for each city / spot, making it hard even with a map to navigate where you are in forests.

I don't know what you mean by "Maps in real life wont show you everything". Maps only show you what's on the map, but you find your own points of reference to read it.

What I propose is simply to make every map a unique item, so players can mark things and keep notes on their map, which could potentially be stolen/looted or handed to a buddy to compare notes etc.

Currently players tend not to mark the map, because everyone shares the same map, and markers can be seen by everyone. This is weird as hell.

I would also like to see a road atlas, or some such thing. Just variation and some form of uniqueness to navigation tools.

These ideas are all kicking about in other threads somewhere, I'm sure I've repeated myself already.

@ Rivy - Right Ctrl + M

Oh sh

Thanks, I had no idea about that :P Arma tutorial never taught me how to use my GPS :<