rocket

Feedback on status of infectious diseases in DayZ

I can appreciate the pandemic route. I feel it would add a really cool and unique dynamic; but how could one become "rich" if one was to find a cache with a vaccine? I could definitely see some serious trading of quality gear happening, but even then, what would stop someone who is less scrupulous from blowing your brains out, keeping their trade item and simply taking the vaccine and all of your other gear to boot?

What you do is find a drop off site for each. (this is for lone wolfs)

I will leave payment at location X and you leave meds in location Y

OR

What I would do is set up the face to face drop off in a Zed heavily populated location so any shots would brings Zeds to kill both of you.

Then before I go to the Drop off/meet location, I would place/hide my backpack with the high end gear somewhere and only show up with a gun and the payment/or Med (depending on which side of the deal are you on)

This means even if you die, you can always respawn and pick up your hidden gear since your former body had no back pack and just a gun and Payment/or meds..

This is one way it can be done if your lone wolf.

We're also considering how disease is introduced into the world, we may introduce it into one area and then track it's spread, providing some potentially interesting data on psychology and the spread of disease.

ohhh... like chopper crashes have infected bodies: risk vs reward

High level gear = High level risk of disease?

All our ghillie-suit wearing AS50 snipers are laden with poo-germs(cholera)? SNOT INSIDE OF NVGS?!?!

Nice one.

During and after a disaster it is amazing how quickly Cholera and Dysentry can spread through a population. This adds a whole new level of fear into the equation. I hope Green Mountain is a hotspot for some disease or another.

How about a chance of diabetes from all the coke and pepsi we drink?

• Like 1

Suicide because you're infected, so you can run and pickup your gear - is rather stupid. Because your gear and body will be infected.

I think this (might) work for individuals, but groups with stockpiles of loot? Im a bit dubious. Thats not to say I don't like the idea, I think its really interesting and can't wait to see how it plays out!

Personally I couldn't give a f*&! if someone chooses sucide as the easy option, thats their experience of DayZ. It doesn't really effect me or how I play the game (I'd play my character to his/her last bowl moving breath!). So then the problem really is making death - all death, PvP or otherwise - be detremental to everyone, because dispite the slogan "this is your story", it really is everyones. Give people a reason to care about the outcome of other people dying (as well a themselves) and you might be able to influence suicide. The trick is, of course, to give them a reason to care - but not forcing them to.

eg: Link deaths to when a server is "fully" reset, but also give players the opportunity to forstall this outcome.

For a full look at this idea go here Global Causality: http://dayzmod.com/f...-scope-of-dayz/

Thanks rocket, really appreciate your efforts.

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 1

So if you catch the diseases then is there a magical circle / zone of catching it? If i walk up to a player who has it how can i get it besides contact? Is it going to be like spawn distances or purely contact?

And by bodies of water am i right to assume this will mean the sea also? is there a potential for catching something the minute you spawn?

So if you catch the diseases then is there a magical circle / zone of catching it? If i walk up to a player who has it how can i get it besides contact? Is it going to be like spawn distances or purely contact?

And by bodies of water am i right to assume this will mean the sea also? is there a potential for catching something the minute you spawn?

From what I've read it's way too early to speculate. It sounds like it's just the seed of an idea ATM.

From what I've read it's way too early to speculate. It sounds like it's just the seed of an idea ATM.

The transmission route depends on the disease, and vectors associated with it.

Cholera will spread in game mainly via infected food and water sources. Players can choose how long they boil or cook meat. The longer you boil/cook the more likely it is any disease causing pathogens are killed. Cholera is mainly spread through faeces infecting water and food, so if someone with cholera goes swimming in a water source (pond), or prepares you meal (cooking meat) - then there is a chance they will have infected that food/water. Maybe they pass the food onto you, and you eat it. Or maybe you collect water from the pond after they swam in it. Then you get cholera. Many people are asymptomatic (do not show symptoms) of cholera so this also increases transmission.

Of those who develop symptoms, and don't get treatment, cholera has a 50% mortality rate (mainly due dehydration).

Hep is a bit different, the system I have now has hep C would mainly be transferred during melee combat between players where both get hit. It is also a long term virus, that would only really cause issues for players who have been alive a long time. Whereas cholera has a very short incubation period (in real life, it can kill within 2 hours).

• Like 1

Would there be a way to clean water sources/ponds once they're infected with cholera?, Or use some sort of water-purification tablets and whatnot on water bottles?

-ninja'd, you have my beanz

Edited by R3con
  • Like 1

The diseases are a really good idea, it could be good to put some kind of "Ph testing strips" into the game. They could be used to test the water see if its safe or not.

Also will the infected carry diseases say if a "Z" is in a pond could this make the water unsafe?

Pic

https://www.electronichealing.co.uk/resources/Image/ph_strips.jpg

I still think sick people will store their valued gear somewhere and kill themselves.. Perhaps a penalty for suicide/death from anything other than player or zombie kills?

Yep. Pitch the tent, save the good stuff, then run around Cherno shooting a makarov into the air til a player or zed horde put you out of your misery.

Next Major news headline:

"DAYZ STANDALONE LEAD DEV CONFIRMS YOU CAN SHIT IN PLAYERS MOUTHS, more to follow"

I can see it now

Make's teabagging look fairly mild doesn't it, lol.

I think the best thing about implementing these changes or improvements is that it should breed a more serious and mature style of player. Thus slowly eliminating the COD Kiddies and Hackers out of our servers and back to HALO.

I don't think this will eliminate much of either - there's no affect on hackers; I presume by COD Kiddies you mean the PVPers who just kill on site for the sake of scoring another kill. If anything this will increase KOS - why would I let anyone near me now, even if they have no gun or backpack? They might be sick

Players will still run around being pains, that is the nature of gaming! No amount or direction nor restriction will stop it.

I can see players tampering with sources and making the game unplayable, the only decent paces to play will be private servers just like now.

I'm too excited to worry about it.

OHH HELL YEAH!

No im soo happy that i took 4 weeks holliday over the xmas period lol. Going to play this thing to death. :)

Getting hepatitis through melee combat? What are you supposed to do there, spray your blood into opponents' open wounds?

Frankly, that's just not plausible, even though I understand this might make sense for in-game mechanics.

The source of hepatitis infection is mainly blood - apparently it should be spread via blood/blood product transfusions.

Btw, do you plan to implement direct player-to-player blood transfusions imposing blood type restrictions? That implies more options for hepatitis spread.

As you mentioned viral encephalitis... maybe one of the risks of camping in the woods would be getting it from the mosquitoes and, mainly, ticks? That would make sense.

Cholera will spread in game mainly via infected food and water sources. Players can choose how long they boil or cook meat. The longer you boil/cook the more likely it is any disease causing pathogens are killed. Cholera is mainly spread through faeces infecting water and food, so if someone with cholera goes swimming in a water source (pond), or prepares you meal (cooking meat) - then there is a chance they will have infected that food/water. Maybe they pass the food onto you, and you eat it. Or maybe you collect water from the pond after they swam in it. Then you get cholera. Many people are asymptomatic (do not show symptoms) of cholera so this also increases transmission.

Of those who develop symptoms, and don't get treatment, cholera has a 50% mortality rate (mainly due dehydration).

Hep is a bit different, the system I have now has hep C would mainly be transferred during melee combat between players where both get hit. It is also a long term virus, that would only really cause issues for players who have been alive a long time. Whereas cholera has a very short incubation period (in real life, it can kill within 2 hours).

So does that mean, if a bandit excretes or urinates in a pond, then survivors fill up their water bottles from it, or even swims in it, they're going to get ill? :D

But that'd be cool. If a friend has a disease he doesn't know of, and cooks you some food, you'll both have the disease before you find out, and when you do... It'll be too late! Love it! Adds some more immersion into the game too, trying not to catch a disease!

This sounds very interesting and will provide a big challenge to survive late game. It also may create a few suicidal characters who figure they're dead anyway so may as well go out with a bang.

Are there any plans to make fire smoke more of a give away to position, there could be some nice survival decisions going around like, light a fire and boil this water I desperately need or stay hidden from that group I just saw.

Will be cool wondering what that sympton is I've just got, just fly or something worse....

So I was thinking, if there was a cholera outbreak, and I found er... whatever it is that cures it, I could send a radio message out (would require a radio to receive message) saying "I have cholera cure at *place*, trade your stuff to get cured!" Then the first person turns up, shoots me and steals the lot.

Well what if by shooting me it damages some of the stuff I'm carrying? He may get lucky and find some undamaged, but might need quite a lot.

Could help to reduce kos and by god you'd have some tense player encounters. I could have nothing but shotgun to ease your suffering...

Can you implement some sort of time limit the disease source is active? I can see trolls moving from water source to water source spreading the disease/s for a lol.. Perhaps it could degrade over time, like the barrels that can be set on fire.

What would the effects be on the player? The current sick that slowly drains blood doesn't exactly immerse me into that feeling of being deathly ill. I'm thinking impaired vision and mobility in the later stages? Increased hunger/thirst. Lose the use of limbs, stuff like that.