Sign in to follow this  
OrLoK

Axe/Hatchet the best weapon ever?

Hello there

For the cautious player...

The axe/hatchet is near silent so no aggro from zeds or alerting players, a one/two hit kill/disable holds thousands of "rounds", makes wood and is plentiful.

Why bother with a primary weapon?

Range, ok there is that, but most major firefights can be avoided unless you're the target of a sniper and if so you are most likely dead anyway.

I've personally pretty much forsaken primary weapons and rely on my sidearm for distance (which is rare)

Now, am I correct or do I have I made a dreadful mistake?

Obviously, if you are a sniper/rambo type then this doesn't apply.

I'd like to know your thoughts

rgds

LoK

• Like 1

It is good if you have a sidearm with loads of ammo. I had a 1911 with 16 mags and I was using a hatchet. It also saves space, most of the supplies go where primary ammo goes.

You can also use rifles as temporary weapons, empty the mag, throw it away and get your hatchet from the toolbelt.

Usually the hatchet bugs a little and doesn't hit the zombie i'm trying to hit which results in me taking damage from it before killing it. In the long run, this is pretty bad unless you have a friend to give blood packs to you. Or plenty of food.

I still prefer a firearm as my primary weapon.

• Like 1

If you want to get off the coast with as much supplies as possible and without grabbing as much attention as possible then the axe is the weapon of choise, plan the route to your target, stay outta their view range and POW.... take em down in a bone crunching swing!

Theoretically it should be the best weapon vs zombies, but I have problems with the range of it. I normally get hit before I make a kill, I guess its just my timing. I think the fact that if you want to use a hatchet as a weapon you have to sacrifice a primary spot is unrealistic though and should be changed,

• Like 1

Theoretically it should be the best weapon vs zombies, but I have problems with the range of it. I normally get hit before I make a kill, I guess its just my timing. I think the fact that if you want to use a hatchet as a weapon you have to sacrifice a primary spot is unrealistic though and should be changed,

Yeah, I hope the standalone will have a slot for melee weapons, in addition to rifles and handguns.

Then it just needs some balancing, like fatigue and reduced attack time for 1 hit kill melee weapons. Something like a hatchet though, that should be a fast one handed weapon that kills in 2-3 hits.

• Like 1

Hello there

Good points.

To hit an enemy I have to aim about 2 centimeters lower on screen than where I think the hatchet will hit to inflict damage. (1680x1050)

Before, I was also having issues.

Rgds

Lok

• Like 1

Melee slots would be good, but I wouldn't be happy using a lumbering hatchet to take our zombies closer to me, maybe something like a pocket or hunting knife could be equipped (Hey, maybe the hunting knife doesn't need to go in your toolbelt, similar to the hatchet now?) Just for a little more maneuverability in buildings and so on. As for animations, I was thinking maybe something like BF3? Come up behind a zombie and silently slit its throat or something? And when you aren't behind it, just take a swipe or a swing with the hatchet/knife.

Hello there

Good points.

To hit an enemy I have to aim about 2 centimeters lower on screen than where I think the hatchet will hit to inflict damage. (1680x1050)

Before, I was also having issues.

Rgds

Lok

Thanks, I will try this

Best weapon in the game, yes and yes. Currently keep 10 slots, in any bag capible for that size, free so i can cycle to it in a pinch when i need to kill Z or go silent. It is the very first thing i look for as a new spawn and I can now say i have killed many people with it!

*Infinte ammo

*Kills animals and cuts the wood to cook them. No loss of any resouces when doing this, the ultimate survival tool

*Two combat tips:

i)Person with the axe lie in the doorway, second person crouch above player with an axe and or people stand at the back of the room with guns. No zombies will get through

ii) Aim high, it has a crapton of range. I find going prone, rolling around and aiming for the head of Z a stealthy way to clear them out (good for HCS/Barracks/High yield places)

So many good memories with it.

Edited by Trizzo

Best weapon in the game, yes and yes. Currently keep 10 slots, in any bag capible for that size, free so i can cycle to it in a pinch when i need to kill Z or go silent. It is the very first thing i look for as a new spawn and I can now say i have killed many people with it!

*Infinte ammo

*Kills animals and cuts the wood to cook them. No loss of any resouces when doing this, the ultimate survival tool

Aye, your wrong there, you only have but a wee 10000 hacks! UberH4x0rr!

Aye, your wrong there, you only have but a wee 10000 hacks! UberH4x0rr!

"Loading!"

(surreptitiously molests axe handle)

As for the OP you are utterly correct for playing this way! It's a blast. I played this style for a good length of time. Apart from teaching you good recon/observation/avoidence skills it frees up 10 slots but usally more (Rifle+ mags). Goes great for looting expeditions, people are less inclined to KOS at medium range, it's can easily be put away if you need to talk to somebody...it's so good and fun.

Zombies are more challenging too. Best memory was sprinting down Zelonogorsk aggroing as many zombies as possible then killing them all. I would play this style more if it wasn't for trying to make videos with some PvP/Player Encounters in them.

Edited by Trizzo

I always use the W. Wallace face found in the player profiles (check the last face) to get the braveheart warpaint, it goes epic with my hatchet while I scream 'FREEEDDDOOOOOOOOOM!' before getting executed by a sniper in an open field.

Against zombies I'd rather have no other weapon, its an absolute beast! And yeah if you time it right they cant hit you really. It also has a satisfying sound when you kill them :D Worst part about it is that you cant swing it while running, that would be awesome! And scary as hell if you saw a player running at you axe in hand!

hatchet is sweet, but the brain is the best weapon, don't matter what you packin' if the old grey matter is lackin'

• Like 1

One thing I do is pick up another hatchet for my tools slot when I'm using a hatchet for melee. That way I can pick up a rifle if I see one and still have a hatchet on my tool belt.

nothing like a good double barrelled shotgun either... long as you dont mind every Zed in Chenarus coming for you at once

but seriously: shotgun for fun, carefree times, then a hatchet to clean up the congregating zed when you're all out of shells... all you need is an anti-bandit weapon and you're unstopable!

hatchet has its place but the near constant blood loss from zombie strikes add up.

i use it as a fresh spawn whilst searching for my beloved winchester.

for my non-PVP. play style the winchester is the ultimate survival tool.

The hatchet is my only weapon. I'll carry a side arm if I find one (preferably 1911 or revolver), but I always use my hatchet. I don't have a problem with zed's getting hits in on me. The other day I broke my leg in the barn north of Elektro, crawled into town, made it into the supermarket and there were so many zed around I figured there was no way I could survive the crawl to the hospital, so I fired off my revolver to get the zed's attention. I switched to my hatchet because I'm not going down without a fight and after about 15 minutes the supermarket was littered with corpses. I slaughtered 35 of them and I only got hit once. After that I crawled and got some morphine, ran out of town, killed some boar with the ax and was good to go.

The hatchet's one weakness = rabbits. I've yet to be able to kill a rabbit with my hatchet.

I love it because it allows me to give away my primary weapon to randoms and still have something left for myself. It's also nice that you can store 1 axe per slot in your backpack.