Sign in to follow this  
JohnDoer

What is being done about Brush Draw distance

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about the draw distance with brush. Has it been addressed by the devs? It's really disappointing when someone sees you in the brush from 300m because their computer doesnt render the brush that far. This is a big killer for this game especially when your trying to be quiet and tactical. I understand that having a further draw distance can be taxing on some computers but for the ultimate simulation and experience its a necessity that must be taken care of. I apologize if this that been mentioned before but my thread search did not bring anything related up.

I might as well make another note.

The fact that rolling over while prone doesnt make any noise is crap. This really needs to be addressed, I've been literally *rolled up on* countless times and it very aggravating to die from such a stupid thing.

I really hope these issues are addressed in standalone.

If there's any information on whats being done about this please let me know.

Thanks.

• Like 8

Or when you have a perfectly placed tent, then you move away and it sticks out like a sore thumb, lol.

• Like 5

Tbh I doubt they will change :( Simply because it would make performance worse on people crappy PC's. I dont think they want to reduce performance in anyway at all as less people would be able to play it on their system. i wish it did though get sorted.

• Like 1

Or when you have a perfectly placed tent, then you move away and it sticks out like a sore thumb, lol.

Yeah, I know the draw distance on tree's kind of suck, but that really isnt a game breaker. Being seen in 2ft tall brush while prone is crap. And as for the people's crappy computers, There has to be some sort of optimization that will still allow a decent fps and have brush from hundreds of meters. Hell make the brush a sprite if your over 500m I dont care, just keep the player hard to see.

Yeah, I know the draw distance on tree's kind of suck, but that really isnt a game breaker. Being seen in 2ft tall brush while prone is crap. And as for the people's crappy computers, There has to be some sort of optimization that will still allow a decent fps and have brush from hundreds of meters. Hell make the brush a sprite if your over 500m I dont care, just keep the player hard to see.

Aye I wouldnt care if it was some ugly 2d block, so long as its there hiding my ass!

On 11/17/2012 at 6:44 PM, #Sleepy said:

brush?

Edited by JohnDoer

Brush as in plants in the ground, bushes, weeds, w/e.

Gotcha, I thought everyone was spelling "bush" in a different way.

• Like 1

I can't believe more people didn't give more this a +1, or more attention. This as it is now needs the most attention. All these clothing ideas and camo ideas are great, BUT THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS WITHOUT THIS BEING ADDRESSED.

The game wouldn't be playable on 50% of the player base's PCs if brush render distance was increased to a point where it would actually affect gameplay.

• Like 1

Hmm, do you have any examples? As in, screenshots from the editor. As far as I know, as long as the player is rendered so are the bushes. So you can't actually see someone completely exposed by setting all your video settings to low.

What about the mod that reduces grass height? is that legal? http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=6628

You will probably get a modded file warning, but this might be ok if you play on your own private server as you can turn off modfile checks and also BE.

Not recommended for any public games.

As long as everyone had it, it wouldn't really be unfair. Maybe in the future or with standalone something like this will be implemented from the beginning.

Edited by disorder

i'm not 100% on this but when I first started playing dayz i ran with a guy that told me he could tweak his settings (shadows/detail?) so most brush and trees disappeared and he could clearly see any players hiding in the woods over 100m away. I also remember him saying that ghillies show up like ''turds on snow.''

Like I say I'm not 100% on the details as it was a long time ago and I soon decided not to continue playing with him (he turned out to be a cheating fuck), could this be related to what you guys are on about? if so that would definitely be something that needs to be addressed.

Edited by Rastamaus

Im not sure if ground detail setting is server locked but that would be related.

Im not sure if ground detail setting is server locked but that would be related.

he could have been bullshitting of course but as i recall he used to get a lot of ghillie/woodland kills. I would have thought that stuff would be server specific too, I'm going back to 1.5.2 or earlier though so it might be something that was possible then but has been addressed since.

Back to topic - it should get much, much harder to spot a player in brush the further away you get.

What about the mod that reduces grass height? is that legal? http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=6628

You will probably get a modded file warning, but this might be ok if you play on your own private server as you can turn off modfile checks and also BE.

Not recommended for any public games.

As long as everyone had it, it wouldn't really be unfair. Maybe in the future or with standalone something like this will be implemented from the beginning.

No you wouldnt just get a modded file warning, you get a "You cant play this with that file" error. You cant use that with DayZ its just for ArmA 2.

Yeah it's kind of backwards in a way... the brush hinders the guy using it for cover (harder to aim, etc), not the guy you're trying to hide from.

Either fix the brush at distance or make players more concealed at distance, like wash out their colors or something. I would be ok with either. Right now if you lay down in the grass and someone is <100m away they can see you plain as day while you cannot see them at all.

Edited by jabberwock
  • Like 4

Yeah it's kind of backwards in a way... the brush hinders the guy using it for cover (harder to aim, etc), not the guy you're trying to hide from.

Either fix the brush at distance or make players more concealed at distance, like wash out their colors or something. I would be ok with either. Right now if you lay down in the grass and someone is <100m away they can see you plain as day while you cannot see them at all.

for a game that is lauded as a leader in realistic combat sims that is pretty crazy.

I'm guessing with the standalone being better optimized this problem will be solved, if not they need to find a way to fix it.

They already added a fake brush, when you see a prone player from afar you only see half or less than half of him...BIS is known for doing half the job...

I did some testing, i placed a prone man on high grass prone at about 800m away, finding him was pretty hard but if you scan the environment well its not a problem, and he was stationary, movement would have been seen very fast. I tried different settings and raising visibility and terrain detail did nothing.

• Like 1

This is all fine and well for people who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a computer to make it uber boss and run everything on max settings and still have a machine that runs as smoothly as unicorn farts on a rainbow ridden breezy day.

Speaking as someone who isn't one of those people, I have to say I'm against this. Forcing players to run settings that would do to modern computers what Crysis did to the computers of its age when it came out, while the game's realism does suffer a smidge (being an advocate for realistic gameplay, this is a but of a tax on my desire for the game) it does allow people who don't have the disposable income of a high class whore.

It would defeat Dean Hall's attempts to make a cheap, fun product by making its player base spend hundreds of dollars on upgrading their computers or replacing them entirely just to play his game.

Ah so you mean high grass, not bushes? Bushes are always there, they don't disappear on low settings and reveal the player. Grass is indeed a problem, however you're never going to have it rendered all the way. If they were to force the draw distance of grass to double of what it is now, and make the game unplayable for the majority of the players in the process, it would still remain a problem at longer distances. There is a grass layer implemented to combat the issue which works decent but not perfect. The idea itself is great, they just need to add some kind of blending effect, like semi transparent edges so the contrast isn't so high.

After thinking I have a solution I would like to propose... at distance with normal viewing how about the game washes details out, trees buildings and all. Like kind of blur it or make it lack definition. I know when I look down the street with my contacts in (20/20 vision approx) after a hundred yards or so I know I wouldn't be able to see someone laying down in even short grass. They aren't blurry, they just lack definition. In the game right now the background lacks definition but players, trees, rocks, bushes all are plainly visible. The other thing is scoped view.. I have no idea why this lacks definition when it seem like you are right next to the person. I do this all the time.. if I find a chopper crash I will stay just outside of the grass render distance and scope the site. Why doesn't grass render in my scope? I'm essentially right next to the crash site from the POV of the scope.