Tence

Temporary Electricity

This idea actually came to thought, when a huey was taken down on elektro.

So heres what I thought, that would actually really make sense, and require people working together to fix it.

You know when its late at night, and you just have a fresh new spawn, and if your lucky, your in pitch darkness in elektro, with nothing but a flashlight. And hey, we all know the flashlight is useful, and it helps looking around for any zombies or gear around blocks and shizzle. But, even with that, its still hard to see, isnt it?

Now, lets look at daylight for a second. Everyday @ DayZ, you are preparing for survival, for both day and night. During day, you get all the food you can find, some weapons, and you head out for your safety, then maybe, if your one of the friendly ones (doesint matter, just an example) you happen to make some friends and build a camp site, to chill there for the day. (this might be 99% of the things you never do, its just an example) But after a while, your ready for the day ahead, got some food, got a camp, got some vehicles, and now the night. Most people say, no night vision goggles, gg, nothing to do. (one of the examples most seen)

But, what if, you could temporarily enable the power in the cities, towns, etc, for a bit of time?

What I mean by that, is;

During Daytime, why not team up with a couple of pepole, or even do it solo, prepare the city for the night ahead from the zombies, or even bandits? Obviuosly this wouldnt be an easy thing to do, but lets take elektro for example.

All of us are familiar with the Factory in elektro, mainly of the firestation there, but nobody cares about the factory right next to it, its just a landmark. So why not, if you got some extra time on you, and want to prepare the city, you have to fetch a toolbox, and the industrial parts, to fix up the generators for the night, and enable the street lights for a few hours, until it runs out of energy (which jerrycans might be used to refuel or so) This way, theres way more stuff to do for the night for everyone, no matter if you dont have a light source. But when it comes to small towns, such as, erm, lets say starry, or even kamenka, there would be small generators, that would only require some parts, that could be fixed quicker than in major cities, such as elektro, cherno, berenzino, or even nwa.

Well, thats all I gotta say, prolly messed up at some points, cause its pretty late here, but lets hope everything makes sense, cause I actually had a talk with of my friends about; what would the first thing you do in a momment like dayz in real life?, believe it or not, but after getting all the supplies I need, I would try to restore the power within the streets, if I knew how. XD

• Like 2

Maybe. I would like to see a player town takeover system instead.

It might be a little hard to get the power up again, since you need the generators running which are probably running on water energy, which means you have to use the dam. Usually they are automatic though, they close and open at some time.

Then, if the fuses or wiring are blown, you have to fix those. This means you have to find the big ass fuses which can take 115 000 volts and those are hard to find.

Last but not least, if the electronic clock or the switches aren't working, the electricity wont make it to the lamps.

Studying to be an electrician helps a lot. And I'm on my first year.

I need a nap.

Edited by Sutinen

It might be a little hard to get the power up again, since you need the generators running which are probably running on water energy, which means you have to use the dam. Usually they are automatic though, they close and open at some time.

Then, if the fuses or wiring are blown, you have to fix those. This means you have to find the big ass fuses which can take 115 000 volts and those are hard to find.

Last but not least, if the electronic clock or the switches aren't working, the electricity wont make it to the lamps.

Studying to be an electrician helps a lot. And I'm on my first year.

I need a nap.

Or, because it's a game, we could just make it so that the generators run of fuel instead? There's a gas station not too far from Elektro :D

Or, because it's a game, we could just make it so that the generators run of fuel instead? There's a gas station not too far from Elektro :D

Well that would work. And the doms in Chernarus are small, so no real use of making massive generators :D

I thought it would be cool to have some wires, generators and lights found randomly in factories. But too much work to implement at the moment though and probably kind of pointless, since everyone plays at day. So the streetlight one would be less work and equally useful.

Edited by Sutinen

once you had the power up again, what would you do with it, cook your beans?

coking beans, lighting up your home, or even frying bandits! the only limit is your imagination!

Ever notice those blue vehicles with wheels? Are those mobile generators? I had the idea of them lighting up the street lamps in their towns if you add fuel to them.

• Like 1

I did a massive amount of research into power generation during natural disasters. There is a great thread on straight dope about the subject, actually.

It would appear, that under most circumstances unless authorities made a very concerted effort and had plenty of time to prepare, prior to abandoning a power station, that it would trip within hours (maximum days) of being unmanned.

The problem is the inter-connectivity of the power grid. Unless an area is deliberately disconnected to become an island in the power supply, even if you try and restart the power station it is going to trip. This issue was covered in Stephen King's "The Stand" quite well. Starting up a power station from having tripped is an extremely complex task, and very daunting, even for professionals.

It would take only a few problems in a country before, left unmanned, the power stations would turn themselves off and when one starts doing it, the cascading effect happens very fast. This has already been seen from recent disasters. Luckily, most natural disasters are reasonably localized so personnel are available and online to assist with prevent a serious power issue from becoming catastrophic across a nation.

Generation isn't the major key, it is the complexity of the system. Powering a few lamps is one thing, powering a town or a city is another.

Certainly, we do need some more work on lights to bring up the atmosphere, but I'm a total geek when it comes to the reality behind the situation. It is also terrifying to me, and important, to demonstrate to people just how fragile our system is when you take personnel out of a system. If the workers go home from the power-station, most will trip within hours.

http://www.reddit.co...opinion/c71quuw

Edited by smasht_AU