Mrdk

DayZ Devs: We really need a definitive answer here.

We need to know for sure that private hives will be fully supported in standalone. You can see now they are popular for a lot of reasons. They are open ended, more secure and allow administration of these servers the ability to customize them to be unique.

So we need absolute confirmation here. We need to know for sure that private hives will be fully supported in standalone.

Along with this comes the requirement of access to files. We the private hive admins need full access and would prefer to host standalone on our current dedicated servers. Let us use these files and keep the communities that have formed around various private hives happy.

Please don't ruin everything great that has happened by not supporting private hives fully. They need that full support where they have access to the files and the ability to host them on their own servers. That is the biggest thing a lot of people are nervous about right now.

Please, do the right thing. Hell, make us pay for private hive server licenses and give us access to server files that way - so long as we can host on the serverbox that we please all will be golden.

I implore you, give us a clear and concise answer. Settle the restless private hive admins.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 3

"We" don't NEED to know ANYTHING, the only reason private hives are so popular is because they're more readily administered and currently run much needed anti-cheat scripts that main-hive servers can't.

Personally I'd rather see the stand alone be managed SOLELY by the developers to stop stupid bullshit like the Vilayer situation from happening again. I'd rather see well thought out maps with full support instead of the shitfest we have atm where there are a pile of maps that are all sub standard.

"We" don't need private businesses running a monopoly on DayZ.

• Like 3

As awesome as private hive is, there are tons of corrupt admins who abuse the powers. My hope would be that admins can only kick, ban and restart the server. Nothing more

• Like 1

Limiting admin capabilities on private hives is not the answer Hoskins. All of us should absolutely not have to pay for the mistakes of a few bad apples, thats simply not fair at all. Private hives allow us to be in full control of the server environment. When you run a server for most games this is how it works.

Locking down servers does not make any rational sense especially when we're talking about private hives.

And they could always blacklist and BEBan a truly "bad admin" anyway. The "full paid support" I'm talking about would allow us access to all required files and the ability to be in full control of our server and host it where we please - but it could include provisions outlining when an admin is deemed highly abusive and ways of dealing with them, like banning them from the game and blacklisting their server.

Private hives ought to have full access to the server files and the ability to host where they choose.

I understand why people want to limit administrative capabilities on public hives, but private hives are a different isolated environment.

Also they could rather easily amend something to a ToS to prevent companies such as VILayer from doing what they do.

By the way, you're going to see custom maps regardless. I don't know why you brought those into a conversation about private hives. Rocket has said himself on many occaisons they want to allow modders to release maps and eventually support them in their releasing of those maps.

• Like 1

"We" don't NEED to know ANYTHING, the only reason private hives are so popular is because they're more readily administered and currently run much needed anti-cheat scripts that main-hive servers can't.

Personally I'd rather see the stand alone be managed SOLELY by the developers to stop stupid bullshit like the Vilayer situation from happening again. I'd rather see well thought out maps with full support instead of the shitfest we have atm where there are a pile of maps that are all sub standard.

"We" don't need private businesses running a monopoly on DayZ.

I'd like to see GSP's offer servers, also the Public HIVE servers can run the anti-cheat scripts and programs it's just that they don't have any interest in preventing anything since Rocket is hard at work making Standalone.

I have heard there is a community github of sorts but the bottom line is we really need confirmation on what kind of freedom to access we will have.

We need to be 100% sure we can run this on our servers of our choosing.

Like I said, force us to license and pay for the support of running a private hive if you must. No problem there. We just need open access and the ability to host where we choose.

I understand the devs are busy, would be really nice to get some sort of official answer here.

Would also be nice to see more discussion on the subject at hand. Preferably without a bunch of generic arguments against the subject. There may be valid arguments against this idea but there are also arguments against it that are blatantly wrong or very misleading.

We had a big discussion on this months ago.

I'm very surprised the same sort of thing is not happening now. Fellow admins of private hives, care to weigh in some more?

I do actually, we need private hives. Dayz is meant to be played as the players want to play it and private hives allow that. When we go to public hives we have to worry about server hopping, ghosting,hacking and numerous other things that I have 0 percent of on my server. No matter what anti cheat software we have the only real way to stop cheaters is the filter the player, which we can only do on a private hive. To be honest if i had to go back to public hives i would just stop playing.

• Like 1

As awesome as private hive is, there are tons of corrupt admins who abuse the powers. My hope would be that admins can only kick, ban and restart the server. Nothing more

Just play somewhere else or pay for your own server ? lol.

Love those people : hey, your paying for a server that allow me how to play but I want to limit your play !

With a release date of december now being officially announced the priority of getting an answer to this question in an official or definitive way is now more pressing for many communities.

Edit: Rocket did post this on twitter, though it does not mention private hives specifically it is promising. An official answer regarding private hives would put a lot of us at ease.

YOy2f.jpg

Edited by Mrdk

I thought it was pretty clear in the interviews Rocket has done as well as posts on the dev blog that, at least initially, the standalone will be locked down and there will be no admin tools available. Maybe I misinterpreted something, but that is what I took away from it.

I thought it was pretty clear in the interviews Rocket has done as well as posts on the dev blog that, at least initially, the standalone will be locked down and there will be no admin tools available. Maybe I misinterpreted something, but that is what I took away from it.

Then whats this community github I've been hearing about?

Rocket posted on twitter once about it, I figure its for servers but I am having trouble confirming that.

I prefer Private Hives because I don't like people logging off the server, and maneuvering around behind my position to avoid kill-zones and empty fields where I could shoot them.

I prefer Private Hives because I don't like people logging off the server, and maneuvering around behind my position to avoid kill-zones and empty fields where I could shoot them.

Dude, you just revived a thread that is 7 months old, and the question itself has been answered, no point in reviving it.

Try to not do that again, it could end in a warning post if you do it several times.

Edited by Henryllex~

this.

We, as a community, have sadly shown we can't handle the ability to have kick/ban features and access to server files. There are few servers that I've seen that can handle the powers given to them. Letting any random get a rocket server should not be allowed. Clan run servers should not be allowed, I don't care how "proper" and "mature" anyone's clan is, one guy is all it takes to ruin it all.

2nd biggest problem in DayZ, behind Hackers, are abusive admins. Easy to eliminate this: take away the ability to host servers.

But, I know this wont happen, as DayZ would die without servers run by children. I just wish DayZ staff would only let the servers that proved themselves worthy in hosting the DayZ mod well the opportunity to host the DayZ SA. It shouldn't be as easy as:

- grab Mom's Credit card

- go to some site you googled

- type in info, order server

- abuse the fuck out of your powers

Even the sites that host DayZ servers for people for a charge are rip offs with no customer support.

Love those people : hey, your paying for a server that allow me how to play but I want to limit your play !

this logic is biased

so you pay server to be able to abuse admins powers and do what you can't on other servers? People are weird thinking they have all rights because they pay for something giving them unfair advantages to others. You are the kind of admin who prolly abuse power without any problems looking at you in the mirror , the kind of man thinking money is freedom because they prolly are roflstomped on classic servers with levelheaded admins

this logic is biased

so you pay server to be able to abuse admins powers and do what you can't on other servers? People are weird thinking they have all rights because they pay for something giving them unfair advantages to others. You are the kind of admin who prolly abuse power without any problems looking at you in the mirror , the kind of man thinking money is freedom because they prolly are roflstomped on classic servers with levelheaded admins

This.

You can buy a house, but in America at least, you never truly own it.

Paying for a server is saying "I like this mod enough that I will pay for an ArmA II server and as a privilege from you (devs) to me, I will host the mod". It's a /privilege/ that you can host this mod. There were tons of public hive servers before all these private hives popped up and there powers were severely limited. Now all these spoiled server admins think they should be able to abuse their powers because its their server.

Don't get me wrong, there are private hive servers out their that do it the right way, but a big majority are just people with money to spare and a thirst for abuse to quench.

• Like 1

We the people need an answer about this NOW ANSWER US WE ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE FREE ADVERTISEMENT FOR YOU GUYS!!