andrewmont

Shooting through walls/objects? How does DayZ ballistics work.

I know that the 50 Cal weapons were designed for this kind of thing, I'm just wondering what weapons in Day Z have the capability to shoot through walls or objects and what walls or objects they can shoot through.

Does anyone have reliable information on this or will I just have to test it out in-game (if I can't get any replies I might just do that then post the results)

It would also be helpful to know, is DayZ's ballistics the exact same as Arma 2's? Or has this been modified for Day Z.

Sometimes you even see bullets ricochet off tree leaves.

Huh?

Noo wee wall keels und noo wee multi keels?

Edited by SP45M

Noo wee wall keels und noo wee multi keels?

Erm...could you explain what you're trying to say in a slightly less cryptic manner :L

Aye the thinner metal walls seem penetrable but brick wall structures not so, witch is a shame because technically the MK 48 with it's 7.62 round has the punch to go through buildings.... it's what it is designed for, same with the Lee Enfield, that .303 rifle round should be more than enough to puncture through brick work, sad to say it doesn't in game!

• Like 1

Aye the thinner metal walls seem penetrable but brick wall structures not so, witch is a shame because technically the MK 48 with it's 7.62 round has the punch to go through buildings.... it's what it is designed for, same with the Lee Enfield, that .303 rifle round should be more than enough to puncture through brick work, sad to say it doesn't in game!

Bad ArmA! To be honest, it is rather disappointing that the developers of a military simulator didn't make this mechanic more realistic, maybe in ArmA 3 and Day Z SA eh :D?

Ps. when did you become part of the Day Z forum team Derpy :L

• Like 1

Bad ArmA! To be honest, it is rather disappointing that the developers of a military simulator didn't make this mechanic more realistic, maybe in ArmA 3 and Day Z SA eh :D?

Ps. when did you become part of the Day Z forum team Derpy :L

Well i do hope the bullet travel and damage is altered for the realism, a 7.62 round should go through the Brick work then the supporting breeze block no problem at 500m and the .303 would punch a fist sized hole in the brick....

Errr yesterday or the day before cannie mind, days are merging together again haha!

Ive been mowen down in the barracks by a dude in a hummer with a .50 BMG(i thought i was safe as...) and another time when i decided to take on another hummer with my mighty fn fal his rounds were going clean through the car wreak i was trying to hide behind.. the .50s go through a bit... but yea agree, the 7.62 should have better penetration than it does. Although, i personally dont see much difference between the .308 vrs .303... i think they should be the same damage... unless the .303 is running 200grain snub noses... but then their penetration aint that flash(i tried to shoot a rabbit once with one through a fence post... the post stopped it! soft noses are shit for knockin holes in stuff.. great for transferring their energy to what they hit. So hunting rounds should do more damage than FMJs, but not have the penetrating power

And high velocity rounds do some funky stuff at times... they can deviate from hitting twigs. Not that 7.62 falls in that catergory, but the 5.56 is bad for tracking. I love my .270 for open, ranged shooting... but ill still use a dirty ole .303 for scrub shooting... cause the bullet goes straight!

Edit in here: Lost my train o thought... the point with tracking is that i think a 7.62 should be modeled as traveling through players... but not the 5.56 not so much, they have a habit o comin out at funky angles relative to line of fire, and tumbling.

It could get quite involved trying to accurately model the effects o different rounds in game. But im sure future games will do it better and better... and for its time, ARMA2 is pretty damned impressive if yah ask me.

Edited by KingOchaos
  • Like 1

peooooooow !