RoyalGaming

New to the DayZ

So i've recently been hoppin back and forth from 1 server to another and can't seem to live for more then a few hours. I simply get lost somewhere random and can't find a way back so I get tired and hungry and simply die. I've looked at tutorials and read a bunch of topics on here and it seems as tho i'm doing everything right... I simply can't find a map of the game i play in.. I dont quite understand, i've searched and found the tiny bags they say they are in.. still nothing, i've searched pretty much as far as I can search and still nothing.

I'm also playing alone, looking to find a great community to just play with. Lookin for french/english community if possible.

Stay close to the shore, find a town. If you can't see one, run in either direction and hope for the best.

Make sure to record where you spawn and then locate it on this map: http://dayzdb.com/map

This will show you loot locations and pretty much everything you need.

Good luck.

Hello there

There are no quick and easy answers I'm afraid. At first the game *is* very daunting and death comes regularly. Maps are relatively hard to find compared to other items.

The thing is to keep perservering. eventually you will get to know which types of buildings spawn the loot you are after and you will become familiar with the landscape as you most likely are where you live.

Just keep at it!

rgds

LoK

Yeah..

Low population servers.

Stay at the coast, so you have references. Get two cans of food, and two of soda.

Try to get a compass, a knife, a box of matches and an hatch - usually in a Market, morphine in an hospital. Then venture North.

Cheat with this: http://dayzdb.com/map

:)

Hiding deep in a tree or bush will prevent zombies from hitting you. Zombies will slow down if you enter a building.

All great advice above. I would ask not to use online maps yet. Learn the game and the map first. You should be able to spawn on the coast and find Elektro or Cherno with out ANY map! Online or in-game.... you should learn the coast very well. Learn to use the in-game map as you find them. There are a lot of subtle land marks both on the map and in the game you should really learn well. That way it won't matter where you spawn on the map you can just take off running to get where you need to go.

I usually find maps in supermarkets, churches, and apartment buildings. Same place you'll typically find matches and a watch with the rare compass. These buildings are nice little treasure troves; seek them out as soon as you spawn!

Sounds like you are running off into the woods with out a map and no real idea of where you are going. Bad idea. For now stick to the coast and run to one of the big cities along the coast. Once you get near one just run into town, find any high-value building and loot it! Zombies? Pshh... nut up son... just run into the building, grab some shit real quick, and GTFO. Snipers or other players? Cowboy up and go for it... you got nothing to loose anyway so who cares if you die?

• Fire house
  • Supermarket
  • Church
  • Apartment building
  • Hospital

You hit a couple of those in a single town and you should have almost everything you need.

Absolute essentials: With these essential items you could theoretically survive in the woods indefinitely. It's actually really boring but you are now "surviving".

• Weapon & Ammo: Beggars can't be choosers, grab the first one you find. Hatchets work just fine! Markovs suck but it's better than nothing. .45 revolver and M1911 are actually an acceptable weapon; OK damage and not extremely loud.
  • Tools: Hatchet, knife, matches (you now have what you need to kill animals, gut them for meet, make a fire, and cook a bunch of food!)
  • Drinks: Canteen / water bottle. Yes you can survive on pop but you can refill canteens from lakes, ponds, and water pumps. Great for surviving in the woods. Try to find two because sometimes it's a long run between water sources.
  • Food: Get a can or two in your pack; you're set for a while.

Important Items: With these items you could not only survive but also start adventuring out into the rest of the map. You have the tools and supplies to get more food and drink as needed. With the in-game map you can now start navigating around more easily. Time to start going after better gear and find a vehicle!

• Tools: Map, toolbox, compass
  • Drink: Pop is nice to have for those long runs between canteen refills.
  • Bandages: You start with a couple so that should get you by for a long time. Ideally you won't be using them very often. I carry between 3 to 5 with 2 or 3 in my mediate inventory and maybe a couple in the backpack.
  • Big Gun: While those pistols are nice you'll want something with more kick and maybe some cool features! Whole huge debate on what gun to get but again something is better than nothing. So get something and upgrade when you can.

Anything not yet listed I would classify as "Nice to Have". Yep; that even includes medical supplies! Some would argue these are absolutely necessary or at least very important. They have their reasons; I won't debate them. They are more important if you are all about PvP and especially squad vs. squad PvP. In these cases you will be using medical supplies much more often and will mean the difference between wining and loosing.

If you are more of a scavenger and rarely PvP then they are less important. I'm more of a scavenger / survivor and if I'm in a situation where I may need medical supplies (other than bandages) I'm prolly gonna die anyway. I typically run around with an EPI pen, morphine, and blood bags.... and I've rarely used them. It's more often I just end up dead =P

• Like 1

Thanks a whole bunch for the useful tips :). I've been surviving quite longer... havn't died since the post haha! *Knock on wood* I'm slightly curious tho, its always night time when im playing, is this something normal? is it due to the fact that I play during the evening at home that it's night time? or is there a game time as well? and how long is it in intervals, I played a server about 4-5 hours.. and the moon didn't even budge during my whole time playing.... If i'm going to end up playing at night the whole time... is there nightvision goggles that I can get my hands on? I try to drop chemsticks at quick spots so I can find a quick entrance when being chased by a mob of zombies.. But chemsticks and a flashlight only get you so far at night LOL!

@Penny Sue, I'm more of a scavenger, I don't kill a player unless I absolutely must (basically I shoot or try to kill what attacks me). As for blood bags and what not, if I find 1 i'll take it but they don't seem to be a necessity if you play smart and patient.

I'm more of a scavenger, I don't kill a player unless I absolutely must (basically I shoot or try to kill what attacks me).

Not a good mind set. You will learn, young padawan.

I've tried that shit over and over again. It never works out. Kill what ever survivor you come across and run away if you can't kill them.

just learn the map .....most of the morons who play dayz will try to shoot 1st even if u dont have anything they want so sadly thats the way u have to be ...

best advice is to check the forums here for decent servers and try to hook up with other players who want to play the game for what it is .....and not some dumabass kids that shoot anything that moves ,tho those type of players u will make short work of once u know the map and are equally equipped

Also, I wasted a lot of food by eating when my status was orange rather than flashing red. Now I wait, since a single can will put you right back up to green again, and to my knowledge there's no downsides to waiting for the flashing.

There is only one thing you need to do as a new player to DayZ

...Prepare your anus. It's going to get real sore. :D

Welcome to DayZ, Royalgaming

Hang on a minute! You say that you've found "tiny bags" that say they contain maps? Have you picked one up by rolling your mouse wheel over them and clicking? Doesn't it appear at the bottom of your inventory as a little map?

If so, to view map you simply hit the letter M and hit it again to close your map.

My advice is use a map if you find one. Or the online DayZ database map, which is excellent because it also shows exactly where the deerstands are located. It's an invaluable source of possible weapon locations. http://dayzdb.com/map#3.069.075

Some people will say don't use online maps but I say of course you should! Why make things harder on yourself? If anyone argues that it's outside of the game and you don't need it, well that's true of the dayz wiki site too and the very same people will point you to that if you ask questions about the game. Just have fun and enjoy yourself.

I'd advise you to get used to dying, as it will happen a lot, and because of that, don't get used to stuff you find. You're going to lose it. Each time you die, it gets easier to die and get yourself back up and trying again. :thumbsup:

Ask any questions you like and as you can see in your thread here, people will provide a wide variety of advice and help. It's up to you what you choose to take. :thumbsup:

My strategy is as follows (The same as everyones no doubt)-

Spawn at coast and run to either Cherno or elektro, whichever is nearer.

I don't leave the city until I have aqcuired:

decent backpack, matches, knife, hatchet, 2 food, 2 drink or canteen,morphine, a decent primary and at least 2 mags.

After that the general consensus is go get Military kit up North.

Uh, think you should have read the thread before posting, Conor. The guy was asking about his map problem. :thumbsup:

Well look no further fella, will have folk from all over the globe but so far no French speaking players, jump in and be the first. :)

Edited by DazTroyer

Uh, think you should have read the thread before posting, Conor. The guy was asking about his map problem. :thumbsup:

I still havn't found a map.. But now I got myself a GPS, Im using it like a boss! Also got my hands on a compass. I had a decent rifle but ran out of ammo. Guess Ima keep stocking up on goodies before I head out to a camp or fixing myself a car. The map problem might of been just me, I re downloaded, havn't found a map since but I hope to get lucky enough to loot 1 soon. Thanks for all the tips and hints. Finally survived a full 24 hour now. '' Only playing in nighttime tho" Hope to have the oppertunity to play during the day soon.

I think it's safe to say DayZ isn't the game for you if you can't even read an online map to figure out where you are.

Kill what ever survivor you come across and run away if you can't kill them.

Don't do this Royal.

There is absolutely no reason to kill someone who is a new spawn. You gain nothing whatsoever, they were never a threat whatsoever, and only bad things can come from this.

If you see someone you don't know and you don't know if they are a threat, simply keep away.

Hello all,

what's up!

welcome to the forum and enjoy to stay here.

B) :wub:

Don't do this Royal.

There is absolutely no reason to kill someone who is a new spawn. You gain nothing whatsoever, they were never a threat whatsoever, and only bad things can come from this.

If you see someone you don't know and you don't know if they are a threat, simply keep away.

I know.. I believe in karma haha, besides I've come to realize a new player will get hungry for good equipment therefor will work hard to find it. I found a decent camp location. Setup a tent, put some goods in it, I track the players and wait for them to equip good gear before claiming my prizes :). I believe its either I hunt them down, or they will want my loot when they find me. I've also stopped looking for a map now. I got my GPS and compass and it works great.

I think it's safe to say DayZ isn't the game for you if you can't even read an online map to figure out where you are.

Not everyone wants to cheat. I choose not to look at online maps deliberately.

Royal, with regards to bumping into players, what you choose to do depends whether you have a mic for direct chat. If you do its much easier to try and approach another player. You can talk while moving around(you may have seen this on youtube) and lets you keep behind the player. What you say and how you deal with the situation is one of the best aspects of DayZ. But if you are typing in direct chat, it puts you at so much risk as you are a sitting duck.

Not everyone wants to cheat. I choose not to look at online maps deliberately.

But if you are typing in direct chat, it puts you at so much risk as you are a sitting duck.

I've realized this today as I've encountered a group of players who chased me for about 15-20 minutes. I try to lose them in the forest, got them seperated and 1 of them got a lucky shot and killed me. I've restarted on the same server, I finally understood the whole concept of not typing in chat :) Even when players ask questions.. that extra second you take to press the chat key and write a message, it could be the end of that life for you. So I'm sticking with a group of guys for now. We have a small base setup and we're doing well.

I've realized this today as I've encountered a group of players who chased me for about 15-20 minutes. I try to lose them in the forest, got them seperated and 1 of them got a lucky shot and killed me. I've restarted on the same server, I finally understood the whole concept of not typing in chat :) Even when players ask questions.. that extra second you take to press the chat key and write a message, it could be the end of that life for you. So I'm sticking with a group of guys for now. We have a small base setup and we're doing well.

Good for you for not alt-F4ing, shows some integrity and despite dieing they would have respected you for trying to get away cleanly.

Hey bud. Welcome to DayZ

If you are looking for a quiet small server to play on without the fear of other players hunting you down etc; I would suggest checking out my server.

We are a brand new community with active admins.

All of the above information people have given are EXCELLENT advice. Please listen to them.

See ya!