zinny50

My First Kill!

MY FIRST KILL

Well, after months of playing this game I finally made my first kill if you can believe it. I've always been a friendly player, always willing to lend a hand which led to me being betrayed and shot in the back numerous times.

I was crawling to Cherno to fix my broken leg when I come across the service station outside the city. I sat on the hill scoping out the place with my binoculars before making my way into Cherno when I see a survivor running across the road. I contemplate killing him but my conscience gets the better of me and I leave him live. Several minutes pass when I see a player wearing a bandit skin looting the inside of the service station building. He had a AKS-74 Kobra on him so I made sure to line my cross-hair up with his head. My conscience once again got the better of me so I decided not to kill him with my silenced M4A1 CCO SD. But he didn't move on like the rest of them did, he started walking towards the trees in the area I was. I waited several seconds and he wasn't changing direction, he kept coming closer and closer. it would have only been a matter of time before he noticed me, so I was forced to fire several bullets into his torso. The players final words were, "Dude why?". Naturally I looted his body and it turned out that he had exactly what I needed, MORPHINE.

I realise he probably would have killed me without hesitation if he noticed me but it doesn't help the situation. I feel like a complete prick, I felt like such a prick that I logged out of the game and I haven't been back since. I personally erased that players hours of hard work and effort, all gone in the blink of an eye. Did anyone else feel the same way with your first kill, or are you desensitised to it all?

Edited by zinny50

no way dude just keep playing it's just a bandit they kill you for no reason and plus you might of save someone life to and now you are a hero!!!!!!!! ;)

Hello there

You seem to have an inner struggle between wanting to kill and then your conscience taking over.

If they are a *true* threat then take 'em out, I say. But you'll have to search your personal ingame moral compass on that one.

I'd prefer to play Us vs Zombies, but have found people not very trustable.

Get back on the horse, there's nothing you can do now, put it down to experience.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Don't worry, if the tables were turned the bandit would have just shot you. Just on the fact that you hesitated makes you a better person than me; with bandits I just shoot on sight. With my first kill it was mistaken identity, I was just shooting all these zombies then my Humanity fell by about 2500. Sorry to the guy I shot (Unless you were a bandit).

This is why I love this game. It's really immersive and your experiance ingame can have a huge psychological impact. You really get attached to your character because of the effort you put into developing it and the fact death is permanent. Don't be too hard on yourself though, especially not because you killed a bandit. Good riddance!

• Like 1

I've killed so many players on public Cherno that I don't even care anymore. Also my humanity is so low that even if I'd use the rest of my days giving blood and medical aid, I'd propably never make it back to +0 again. On the other hand I've been trying to play friendly on private hives where I can start from clean table, most recently on Namalsk. But there is a problem with this map. For some reason everyone is born in the world as a survivor regardless of their humanity. The skin is set propely only after two survivor kills or after the first disconnect/reconnect. This has caused me serious problem with capheads being hostile and me getting killed because I haven't shot them on sight since there is no way to tell if they are actually a survivor or just a wolf in sheeps clothing. Also if you kill anyone with survivor skin you get -2500 humanity.

About 99% of the time when some players sees me and shouts "Friendly friendly!" it just means "Let me get into a better position so I can shoot you in the back." Same goes for the "Don't shoot I am unarmed!" which translates to "Let me find a gun so I can shoot you in the back!" This has happened to me on many occasions.

STORY TIME!

One time when I was sitting with my M24, coyote backpack and camo clothing in the woods that over look the buildings at the Old Hospital. My reason to be there with such high end gear was that half of my squad was on zero gear and we were all low on food and medical supplies. Meds and fairly often even food can be found at the Old Hospital so it was only a natural thing to go look for them there.

Anyway as I got into the position and the least armed part of our squad moved into the Hospital area when some guy (a caphead) started taking potshots at my friends with an Enfield from one of the roof tops. To protect my friends I started firing at him but he was well hidden behind one of those concrete thingies on the roof. As I was trying to find a better spot I came across two survivors in the treelines. They both said they were friendly and unarmed and begged me that I wouldn't kill them. I told them to go away in more or less friendly manner since I was quite busy with the hostile guy who was eye balling me from the roof and had no time for small talk. So they left. Few moments later the rooftop guy came out of his cover and I shot him in the head. The area seemed clear but my friends were having some trouble with the zombies that the Enfield guy had stirred up with his shots so I switched to my M4A3 CCO and ran down to help them out. As soon as I was infront of the market I got an Enfield round into my back from inside the store and fell unconscious. Apparently the two unarmed guys I had left alive, had managed to find an Enfield and M1911 and now I had to pay the price.

So, I was lying in middle of the yard in one of the ~5 minute knockouts and bleeding. Fortunately none of the zombies came to eat me and because the place was just swarming with zeds the two hostiles didn't have time to check me out and finnish the job. One of my friends managed drag me behind some cover and give me all the medical attetion I needed. After I got back on my feet, we hunted the two previously unarmed players down and killed them with no regrets. As you might have guessed, they had really nothing on them except the guns. Since the server had tags on I could confirm that they indeed were the same two guys I met in the woods earlier.

As I was wearing a camo the two guys had no way of telling if I were a bandit, survivor or even hero. So the only reason why they would have tried to kill me was purely for fun and loot.

I know that I almost died there because of my own stupidity since any other player with any sense would have shot them both before they had managed to find weapons. And because of those two guys I now have bandit skin (my camo guy died about a day later at the Object AII) so anyone can shoot me without any consequences and now I am forced to shoot even the white knights of zombie apocalypse just to protect my own life. Not that I have seen any heroes in Namalsk yet, I wonder why...

This event finally teached me that you can't trust no one, and I mean NO ONE, not even the unarmed players. You will live longer only if you don't let anyone else live.

TL;DR Shoot or be shot.

Don't know if this story helps you with your moral problems, but atleast it should show you that if you can't even trust the neutral looking capheads, there is no way in earth you can trust anyone with a bandit skin. You just gonna get killed!

• Like 1

Thanks bro, I bet many people have ton of great stories about DayZ and I just love it how easily you can get awesome stories out of a game (a mod for nitpicks) that doesn't have any story in it self.

Calm down man your making it sound like you actually murdered someone, it's a game have fun, these characters respawn it's not like you actually killed the guy :)

• Like 1

That's the beauty of it, you can try to do 'the right thing' but that's harder and takes more effort. This is what I do when meeting the following players:

• Bandit shoot on sight
  • Ghillie keep in crosshair, if he's teamed up with a bandit I'll shoot on sight.
  • Survivor never turn my back to them
  • Hero Cool, fairly certain he's on my side

If you are meeting new people to team up with it helps to meet on teamspeak. If you'll be in the same teamspeak channel it'll be less likely to get shot because it has become more personal.

Story time :) About two weeks ago our team of 3 were raiding NWAF in the middle of the night. I was having fun aggroing the zombies grouping an ever growing amount of Z's in a cluster by driving in a circle around them on my bike whilst my teammates were looting. They kept spawning and spawning. This must have been a hilarious sight. Needless to say I was attracting more attention than I was paying. Suddenly the bullets were whistlng my ears and I got hit a few times. I took off like a madman on my bike with about 80 Z's on my tail whilst informing my teammates of where I thought the silenced shots came from. One of my teammates was able to take one out before the end but in short we died and lost it all. All the gear we've collected over the course of a few days and our first real vehicle at the time: a motorbike. At first we were determined to find them and kill them. Shortly after respawning one of my team met some players and joined their teamspeak. We suspected they were the ones that shot us. Whilst I was plotting on how to ambush them while my friend was informing me of their location they (against all expectations) were very friendly and let him tag along looting the south coast. We found the player that we had killed was in their teamspeak so now we were sure it was them and we confonted them. They felt guilty about it all and we got back our motorbike and the gear they looted from us! Now we still work together and sometimes join forces. We're carefull enough not inform eachother where we stash our tents and vehicles but there has been talk of permanently combining forces. You can imagine it is quite a lot of fun to later bump into eachother on another server, join their teamspeak and have someone say "Hey m8, where are you at?" "Ok, hangon, I'll pick you up with our chopper and we can go hunting for some crash sites togehter!"

In short: Being friendly is playing the game on hardcore difficulty yes, but it can be very, very rewarding :)

Zinny, no I'll never be de-sensitized to death in this game but while I've shot back at players I've never killed one. I don't like it and don't need to do it. I do have the hero skin but that means nothing to most players, probably because so many people have faked it by shooting their pals and tranfusing. I earned mine the right way and slowly, over time.

Edited by Sula

my fist kill was two days ago and it was really easy for me because the guy had a makorov, and he shot first so i shot him 2 times with my enfield and i dont feel bad.

(i mean its not like i actualy killed him)

I killed a guy in the barn between the NE airfield and Krasnostav. It, too, was my first kill. He was wearing the bandit skin and stumbled into the barn me and my buddy were in. I don't think he expected us to be in there because he stopped and acted very surprised. I proceeded to empty my m4a1 mag into him, killing him. He started crying on the mic... I might've felt bad if he wasn't wearing the bandit skin.

My first kill was the other day. Been playing for a little over a month, no player kills. Plenty of shot on site deaths. I am a generous player usually giving up a secondary or primary weapon if someone is gear less. I hooked up with this clan who had a decent base with lots of tents and vehicles. Been lots of internal strife and one left the group, pretty sure he notified others of the base. Like an idiot I log off in the middle of a circle of tents. I log in with a "you are dead". I am like how the hell did that happen. Luckily for me I see the you have been killed and by who. I relog in and to my surprise the fool combat logged. I expected a lengthy coast run but I spawned where I died with all my gear. My dead player was on the ground next to me. I check the stats and see the name of the guy who killed me and a -1 penalty for logging out like a bitch. There was a bike next to me so I must have logged in right as he was looting. Of course he is going to come back, they always do. I move to cover over by the vehicles and wait about 5 minutes. He relogs under the name "player1". I see his head pop up and open fire. He falls down but not dead. He also has the high ground. I come up to finish him off and he gets me once with a shotgun, im bleeding and have a broken leg. He dies but I cant loot him, weird! I was able to loot my dead body so I have to coyote packs and two stanag sd's.

the way I hooked up with the clan was pretty weird also. They were active on side chat and had a heli. I ask for a lift and they set the trap and invite me in. When I am in sight one of them shoots me claiming I was aiming at them. I later get in there team speak and they ask who I was. I tell them and one says "awkward". We laugh it off and all is good. Later that night they loose the heli and the server resets. I happen to be at the nwaf and find damn near all the vehicles there. Sometimes I kind of like hackers. I let one of the clan guys know, he's the only one on. I pick him up and bring him to the nwaf. The rest is history, been chumming around with them ever since.

I dont get attached to my gear because the hunt for the gear is the best part for me.

Edited by mcdonald77

My first kill was a team mate. Bad scene man. We had a camp set up me and 4 others we had picked up a new guy and were at the fire plotting cooking rearming general down time between loot runs. The new guy fired a shot. Only one and hit noone. I hopped up and aimed my akm at him told him to sit down. He didn't know the button so another team mate told him while I kept trigger itchy. He sat down and then immediately got back up. I fired 5 rounds he was dead. I sighed and said that sucked and another team mate said nothing you could do he didn't listen.

My first kill was a guy trying to kidnap me. Then he told me to stay in his car and he didn't know i had a makarov. So when he left the car i jumped out sneaked up on him and shot him.

I kill bandit skins on sight, no exception unless they are trying to lose the bandit skin (seen 1 or 2 healing people to lose the bandit skin, they can live if they are trying to redeem themselves)

Survivor skins I view with caution but help them if they are in a tight spot

Gilli or camo, I watch and see if they are a bandit but wont kill them unless they are obviously camping for kills or kill someone else for no reason

Heroes I usually approach freely if alone and try and see if they want any help and ive only met 1 hostile hero and about 5-6 that accepted my help

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

Well here's a story for you.

I died by a door in polana (like usual) and spawned in kamenka. The private hive I was playing has a supermarket there so I got some basic supplies and went on side chat wondering if a guy was kind enough to spend a few minutes and give me a lift back to polana to retrieve my gear. A guy kindly agreed so I decided to sit down on the front steps of the market and wait for him to pass by. I was able to find a makarov and some mags and had nothing better to do.

Next thing i know I see a bullet whiz by to my right. I jump in the market and have a quick conversation over side. The guy said he was friendly and sure enough he was. I met him outside the store moments later being followed by at least 10 zeds. After a few quick greeting I told him about my situation and he decided he would love to join the trip back to polana.

So we are running around trying to lose so zeds when this third guy shows up carrying just a revolver. He quickly decides to stick with us and we attempt to lose the zeds. Problem is at this point there were so many zeds because the guy wit the dmr decided it would be wise to kill some with the dmr. We split up and 5 minutes later I find the guy with the revolver. We see on chat that the dmr guy was killed by the zeds and decided to go find his body. Once I found his body, I helped the other guy by telling him where it was. As soon as I showed him, he shot me in the back of the head.

Lady karma however decided to intervene as he was killed by zeds 2 minutes later and I spawned right next to kamenka to retrieve all this gear.

Moral of the story; don't sit down in front a supermarket.

(the guy that promised the lift never showed :( )