SmashT

Gamercamp - Nov 2012 - Interviews and Article

"Best zombie game ever"? While I agree that the idea is definately one of the best, the execution is not so much. Zombies are shrugged off and only bandits and arseholes pose any kind of threat to your progression. Human interaction is only "Friendly?" "Yes" and continue on your merry way, or "Friendly?" with no response and shooting occurs.. but mostly it's no human interaction at all beyond letting the gun do the talking since the risk is far to great considering the deathmatch mentality that plagues the game.

Admittedly, something more MIGHT happen, but it's usually done out of the game rather than through interaction ingame. The risk involved in meeting, greeting and befriending someone in Elektro, Cherno, Kamorovo and so on is enormous. I don't think that a real world apocalypse of this kind would result in people running around with hatchets or completely alone in towns to exclusively hunt other humans.. so it's really -nothing- like, and I quote you, "In many ways, players in DayZ seem to be acting exactly how they probably would in a real zombie apocalypse." That is unless most humans, statistically speaking through this game, are murderous monsters that focus more on killing humans for sport rather than surviving the zombies.

• Like 1

That is unless most humans, statistically speaking through this game, are murderous monsters that focus more on killing humans for sport rather than surviving the zombies.

That's what playing too many computer games does to a person. Scientifically proven, probably. ;)

"Best zombie game ever"? While I agree that the idea is definately one of the best, the execution is not so much. Zombies are shrugged off and only bandits and arseholes pose any kind of threat to your progression. Human interaction is only "Friendly?" "Yes" and continue on your merry way, or "Friendly?" with no response and shooting occurs.. but mostly it's no human interaction at all beyond letting the gun do the talking since the risk is far to great considering the deathmatch mentality that plagues the game.

Admittedly, something more MIGHT happen, but it's usually done out of the game rather than through interaction ingame. The risk involved in meeting, greeting and befriending someone in Elektro, Cherno, Kamorovo and so on is enormous. I don't think that a real world apocalypse of this kind would result in people running around with hatchets or completely alone in towns to exclusively hunt other humans.. so it's really -nothing- like, and I quote you, "In many ways, players in DayZ seem to be acting exactly how they probably would in a real zombie apocalypse." That is unless most humans, statistically speaking through this game, are murderous monsters that focus more on killing humans for sport rather than surviving the zombies.

I couldn't agree more, the real problem is lack of consequences. If your game stopped working after you died, people may actually simulate what this would be really like, so until then you cannot call this a realistic simulation of such events :)

Cool interview thanks for doing it and posting it for the community!

Edited by renegade9z

No problem! Once I finally have the time over Christmas break, I plan to actually sit down and play the game. I'm waiting for the separate release too I guess.

"Relatively unknown tactical shooter Arma 2"?! What has the article writer been drinking? Who hasn't heard of Arma?!!

Everyone haha. It might be very well known to you, but definitely doesn't have the same brand recognition of a Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell game.

I play a crap ton of games and before DayZ, I honestly had never heard of Arma ever.

Yeah Arma's not exactly a household name.

I barely gave it a moment's thought before dayZ came along.

well said and completly spot on.

there are tons of fantastic Zombie games out there.. DayZ is not among them..

DayZ is a great game for its tension and survival gameplay but not its Zombie elements.. least not as it stands right now..

and as far as its human interactions, well like qouted above, there basicly is none.. 99% of the time its KoS bullets to faces.

"Relatively unknown tactical shooter Arma 2"?! What has the article writer been drinking? Who hasn't heard of Arma?!!

Alot of people still don't know about ARMA or DayZ

*Reinvents pc gaming, gets rock'n roll hairstyle*

I think too many games are becoming too accessible. I’m not a fan of accessibility anymore.- Dean Hall.

Dude..i fucking love you.

there are tons of fantastic Zombie games out there.. DayZ is not among them..

DayZ is a great game for its tension and survival gameplay but not its Zombie elements.. least not as it stands right now..

and as far as its human interactions, well like qouted above, there basicly is none.. 99% of the time its KoS bullets to faces.

As far as zombie games go this is the first i have played with zeds in it as i have zero interest in zombie type games. The second part of your quote is why i play :)

The last part of your quote though, my experience so far has not been anywhere near 99% kos, if it was i more than likely would have stopped playing months ago. I think a lot of people are missing out on the in game interaction that can be had by playing simple kos, and i would wager they are most of the ones that have already left for other games or moved other people on because of their game play.

Each to their own though.

Nice interview Pat and thanks for posting..you should really smile though ;) You ever get interested to dive in , give me a yell and i will give you a tour of Chernarus :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The last part of your quote though, my experience so far has not been anywhere near 99% kos, if it was i more than likely would have stopped playing months ago. I think a lot of people are missing out on the in game interaction that can be had by playing simple kos, and i would wager they are most of the ones that have already left for other games or moved other people on because of their game play.

While 99% kos isn't exactly my experience either, the fact of the matter is that so many times, if you dare approach a lone player with honorable intentions, odds are quite big on a firefight. The paranoia is good, I love it really and it has definately gotten to me to the point where I avoid players because I don't trust them. The thing is that many times when I then turned around to run away, I have gotten potshots from 200 metres away from the same player I so clearly and obviously avoid, meaning that that player happily breaks weapon silence and unspoken "truce" for a chance of a kill. Arguably, if I had approached them to speak, they might have opened up to me and we might have become the bestest of friends and raided NW airfield together and more likely than not ended our days in a ditch because of a M107 or AS50 wielding sniper caught us running back south... but more often than not have I experienced total silence in response or a shot in the head because I was stupid enough to try to be friendly and approached them.

I have also experienced being chased down from Balota Airfields and up to Stary Sobor as a fresh spawn. While I do have to say it was hella fun, it just goes to show how some do it for the sport and their own kicks as I doubt they even considered how I felt during that chase. The only reward I would've given them were a pack of painkillers and a bandage and I am positive they knew that.. oh and also I would've given them the life of a hard to kill Survivor.

We're not supposed to hold hands and jump across the meadows while plucking flowers and putting them in eachothers hair, but I don't think that the intentions of the game were for us to stop caring about the infection that plagues the entire world just for the sake of getting our jollies offa killing eachother at random either. No matter how it's twisted and turned, the mod has gone from Zombie apocalyptic survival to Bandit survival.. sprinkled with the need to eat and drink and those adorable zeds that play tag with you every once in a while.

• Like 1

I imagine everyone would have to be hoping on some zed ramping up in the standalone so we can get that original feel back, but there will always be that kos player type that just does not give a rats about interacting except via bullets regardless of how the game changes. Revenge is a dish best served with a side order of winchester.

I do get what you are saying, the early dayz of the mod were a far different feel from what it evolved into, but i still manage to find randoms to interact with even on Pub servers. I did an exchange of nvg's and an akm for some cokes the other night with a guy outside of Cherno industrial , i dropped the items then wandered back about 20 metres keeping him dmr'd whilst we chatted, paranoia , which has always been part of the mod. We headed off without a shot being fired , me drinking coke in the dark , him enjoying his new found vision.

He was the only guy i saw in a 25 pop server...playing Louis Armstrongs 'What a wonderful world' over side which was quite fitting.

I have read so many posts where people say 'its what would happen in a zed apoc, everyone would be running around knocking everyone off ' ..right. I think most of the kos types would be in hiding or grouped up, but in a game where a click of a mouse means a bigger backpack or an achievment of sorts (score) then rl is out the window.

Dean Hall: Ya, it’s going to be by the end of the year. The exact date is going to depend on a few things though. What the stand alone is going to be is a foundation build. I’m trying to get away from calling it an alpha or a beta. It’s not going to be a true alpha in the sense that it’s actually going to be built off of a finished game. But we’ll have something released and it’s going to be released digitally.
- you are now reading the above quote in a Valley Girl accent.

I'm really starting to dislike the misuse of the alpha/beta testing stages lately. Either to rush the game out the door before it's finished and/or hide behind the alpha/beta state so you can trade on the promise of what may come, rather than what actually exists. On the surface, Rocket appears to be moving away from that kind of "marketing", but is the actual game just going to follow the same release pattern? Rolling updates like we have with DayZ mod?

• Like 1

Everyone haha. It might be very well known to you, but definitely doesn't have the same brand recognition of a Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell game.

I play a crap ton of games and before DayZ, I honestly had never heard of Arma ever.

Arma is the worls most known Millitary Shooter Simulator. Just because you never heard of it before (weird) doesn't mean other people didn't

Great interview, thanks for posting!

The story about the first days of infection implementation is hilarious, the fact that it spread so quickly once people started moving to other servers is really amazing.

I get more excited for standalone everyday!

I want that anti-accessibility shirt :P

I don't think that a real world apocalypse of this kind would result in people running around with hatchets or completely alone in towns to exclusively hunt other humans.. so it's really -nothing- like, and I quote you, "In many ways, players in DayZ seem to be acting exactly how they probably would in a real zombie apocalypse." That is unless most humans, statistically speaking through this game, are murderous monsters that focus more on killing humans for sport rather than surviving the zombies.

If you look at it as an evolutionary process, where the zombie outbreak was when the mod was released.. First people were interacting, co-operating, as they would in real situation(I´d imagine). Then time passes, there seems to be no way out of the Z apocalypse, people get impatient as theres no realistic goal, people take note of some survivors killing for sport.. paranoia, then out of hopelesness there seems to be nothing left than kill or be killed. So, in large scale I think it is like it might be in similar conditions.

If you look at it as an evolutionary process, where the zombie outbreak was when the mod was released.. First people were interacting, co-operating, as they would in real situation(I´d imagine). Then time passes, there seems to be no way out of the Z apocalypse, people get impatient as theres no realistic goal, people take note of some survivors killing for sport.. paranoia, then out of hopelesness there seems to be nothing left than kill or be killed. So, in large scale I think it is like it might be in similar conditions.

People might start killing for sport, but I doubt that unless you got a steady supply of ammo and a complete disregard of your own personal safety, you would NOT go into zombie infested towns to kill surviving humans that have nothing to give you. In the real life, surviving and living is a goal in itself. You have no great acomplishment waiting for you at the end of the line, do you? A dragon to slay and wenches to serve you for the rest of your life? But still, you don't go out there and kill other humans for sport. Even if the setting of our world and DayZ are not nearly the same there is little indication that beyond growing paranoid as supplies begin to lessen and desperacy increases, you wouldn't start killing for sport. One human can't carry enough to make it worth an INSANELY valuable bullet for 99% of the remaining population, at most parts you would rob them.

I do agree that some might become territorial and kill all who enter their territory, or atleast force them to leave, but players of DayZ don't lay claim for a town and really act as if it's their own. If you were to do that, you'd be a roleplayer and not a bandit. That'd, in my opinion, add something to the true essense of the game, but to wander between towns or snipe the big cities are nothing like that. And NO, starting to say that Cherno is yours and shoot everyone for kicks is nothing like that.

People killing for sport is more of a different kind of apocalypse, where humans are still on top of the food chain. And that apocalypse would be anarchistic, no government to speak of, no law enforcements beyond small towns and little to no contact or alliances between them. That apocalypse would be akin to Fallout. And those bandits would be Raiders or Slavers.

But the absolute and most crucial reason why DayZ is like it is, is the fact that you respawn. You die, you shrug, you respawn and restock and start killing for sport again. There is no limits to how often you can do this. Also, the Zeds aren't dangerous nor diverse enough to make them any kind of dangerous. The fact that you can outrun them easily makes you not care about them at all and they become no fun whatsoever. For this game to go back to an "real" Zombie Apocalypse and away from it's current Deathmatch status, the Zeds need to be far more dangerous and hazards related to them need to be far bigger.

• Like 2

This is sooooo off topic but... 7:13 INTRO OF REDNESS!!!

.....no one is not going to have a clue what im referring to

This is sooooo off topic but... 7:13 INTRO OF REDNESS!!!

.....no one is not going to have a clue what im referring to

Unless of course they're part of "the audience".

Anyway, Mr Hall seems like the type of down-to-earth guy I'd like to imagine works on all the games I enjoy. On a unrelated note: Picture of a can of beans on top of Everest please.

Added another article to the first post, some interesting stuff in there including Rocket crying over a biscuit.

http://dorkshelf.com...ses-to-go-easy/

Edited by smasht_AU

Added another article to the first post, some interesting stuff in there including Rocket crying over a biscuit.

http://dorkshelf.com...ses-to-go-easy/

From the article:

"According to Hall, Bohemia has made around €26 million ($33 million Canadian) in profit since the spring." :o

Edited by smasht_AU
Edited since it's unreadable.