Sign in to follow this  
Toffles

Hacker ban ineffective

Just a few minutes ago I witnessed Dallas 23 getting blown up by a hacker. I managed to survive with half health but saw most of the server getting killed. I think as players we should expect this kind of thing until a real solution to the problem is found. The battleye ban is just a band-aid solution to a serious vulnerability.

Have you looked at the Steam Sales Chart? ARMA:CO is #1 and ARMA:AO is in the top ten. New game keys mean a new round of stupidity. It's only money, right?

Besides, they're only script kiddies copying someone elses work. A true hacker has better things to do than spawn crates of ammo or make cows fly.

Another person who mysteriously joined today.

What is that, 4? 5?

Have you looked at the Steam Sales Chart? ARMA:CO is #1 and ARMA:AO is in the top ten. New game keys mean a new round of stupidity. It's only money' date=' right?

Besides, they're only script kiddies copying someone elses work. A true hacker has better things to do than spawn crates of ammo or make cows fly.

[/quote']

Well, that's the point. As long as the vulnerability exists so does the possibility of losing everything you've achieved. When it happened to the server I was on all the buildings were demolished. I'm sure this kind of hack would also destroy vehicles you've repaired and hidden in a forest somewhere. A single hacker can spend a night destroying much of the playerbase's progress. After all, the hack only takes a few button clicks and then they move on to the next server. This is a huge vulnerability and just grouping up and banning the identified players weeks later is no solution.

Another person who mysteriously joined today.

What is that' date=' 4? 5?

[/quote']

Please elaborate your conspiracy. I've never felt a need to communicate with this community until now. After not playing for a week I tried the game again only to see this bullshit an hour into my playtime. I've seen hackers destroy games before, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen to this one.

It's ok. I know that you know exactly what I mean.

Awesome. Well, I don't and I have nothing to argue with if you're going to persist with mysterious *wink wink* bullshit.

The vulnerablilties will always exist in any defense. Put up a wall and sooner or later they figure out how to get past it. So cheat and anti-cheat will always be trading tit-for-tat.

Best you can do is not let it get to you. The more that you acknowledge your pain the more they feed off of you.

I see good things coming to ARMA in regards to this issue due to the popularity of DayZ. I can't wait for BattlEye's next ban wave.

Of course there are going to be more skiddie's out there coding new shit to ruin others fun, but as long we all put up with it and report it, the less of these exploits there will be in the future. It is Alpha after all, we have to expect it.

It banned thousands of hackers' date=' hardly ineffective.

[/quote']

The ones that are actually dangerous to the game just get past their ban instantly. I'd say it's pretty ineffective.

It banned thousands of hackers' date=' hardly ineffective.

[/quote']

The ones that are actually dangerous to the game just get past their ban instantly. I'd say it's pretty ineffective.

Those are few and far between. Most are bewildered script downloaders, not hacker lords out there writing anything themselves.

They can google and follow instructions on a website. The guys doing the actual hacking aren't going to come here... But they are probably on to something else by now. Once script kids can do it, the big guns are bored and parsing some other games files.

I'm sure they'll close these loopholes eventually. Maybe there's no such thing as a 100% secure system but the average hacker is not a special ops technician willing to parachute in the data center to gain physical access to the machine. Once the holes in the code get found and patched, the hacks should stop (same reason you don't see "mass kills" happening in games like WOW, which would be an epic maneuver for any hacker to pull off -- with good code, it's just not possible short of busting into the data center with a machine gun and a laptop).

The real problem is probably that ARMA2 was never popular enough to really get hammered by hackers, so the network code is probably full of undiscovered holes. It's also likely that the guy who designed the network code simply wasn't coding it with hackers in mind -- just wanted something functional. I'll be surprised of rocket can do much to fix it, short of identifying who's doing it and forcing them to keep buying new copies of the game.

(Although they may be hacking that too. I think it was Rift devs that one time explained that surprisingly large percentage of their sales were going to fraudulent/stolen credit carts -- hackers get in and companies get shafted on the money. I guess that's Steam's problem, though.)

When Arma 2 first came out there was alot of hacking going on. People creating bombs etc in game then blowing them up. Plus load of other stuff like being able to fly, not die etc.

It was a real problem for a few months until the hckers got bored and got banned off the community servers when they were identified. The same will be said for this mod. It is something new now but a few months down the line most of the hackers will have moved onto something new. Thats if history repeats itself and I think it will.

Dallas 23 was freaking destroyed. I was in there but looks like just after it happened as it was almost empty, but a lot of the building in Stary Sobor were blown up. Here's a screenshot I took.

WWiRd.jpg

Never seen that before..lol. Also, the long barn just off of the military tents was completely flattened.

When Arma 2 first came out there was alot of hacking going on. People creating bombs etc in game then blowing them up. Plus load of other stuff like being able to fly' date=' not die etc.

It was a real problem for a few months until the hckers got bored and got banned off the community servers when they were identified. The same will be said for this mod. It is something new now but a few months down the line most of the hackers will have moved onto something new. Thats if history repeats itself and I think it will.

[/quote']

As long as the game is popular, people will try and cheat in it. Arma 2 may have been popular in the beginning, but now it has a much smaller community. If DayZ stays popular, cheaters will probably stay aswell. It might take years for cheaters to leave, or they might not ever leave, just look at CS 1.6.

I don't know how much cheaters were taken into account while Arma 2 was developed, from the looks of it, not too much. Which means that cheaters will leave either when cheating becomes very hard, or when all the players leave.

Yep that is another take on the situation, I hope your wrong though mate. Hopefully people have the tools or will develop the tools to combat wankers.

@Rocket,

Cant you make a script for the servers that disables the damage and effects of the bombs?

Ive seen this happen in other games, hackers find ways to spawn weapons and shit by exploiting a legit command in the game, wich cant be blocked, but if you make it so the effects of the bomb are disabled, they can spawn as many bombs as they want, but it wont do any damage to players or destroy buildings.

Nice to see a game community with at least some members who understand the difference between skiddies and hackers. Most places don't have that.

Obvious troll is obvious.

I'm sure they'll close these loopholes eventually. Maybe there's no such thing as a 100% secure system but the average hacker is not a special ops technician willing to parachute in the data center to gain physical access to the machine. Once the holes in the code get found and patched' date=' the hacks should stop (same reason you don't see "mass kills" happening in games like WOW, which would be an epic maneuver for any hacker to pull off -- with good code, it's just not possible short of busting into the data center with a machine gun and a laptop).

The real problem is probably that ARMA2 was never popular enough to really get hammered by hackers, so the network code is probably full of undiscovered holes. It's also likely that the guy who designed the network code simply wasn't coding it with hackers in mind -- just wanted something functional. I'll be surprised of rocket can do much to fix it, short of identifying who's doing it and forcing them to keep buying new copies of the game.

(Although they may be hacking that too. I think it was Rift devs that one time explained that surprisingly large percentage of their sales were going to fraudulent/stolen credit carts -- hackers get in and companies get shafted on the money. I guess that's Steam's problem, though.)

[/quote']

These hacks have been used in Arma 2 for a long time. It hasnt been fixed yet...

These hacks have been used in Arma 2 for a long time. It hasnt been fixed yet...

Correct they have not been fixed yet. But what has happened is that community servers and the admins ban players that hack their server. I play with a community with Arma 2/OA and have been playing with this community for 2 years.

I have only ever seen 2 hacks on this community server and both times the prick has been banned from the server.

So, if you play with a good community then hacks hardly ever happen in my experience.

It is down to the server owner / admin to make sure people that hack are banned from that server. Between good admins and battle eye banning pricks this will become less of a problem in the future.

And as rocket said, give it time...