Matthaeus8

DayZ Map Question

Hey Love The Game And I Am wondering if any1 has developed a mod or if they are planning to add it in later to make so when u find a map u can find urself on it? cause even in the real world people mark them selfout ruffly on maps to keep track of where they are cant tell u how many times i have been inland and gotten lost terribly even using in game and the map i the web browser to keep track of where i am can b troublesome at best

Manually-placed markers would be nice, yeah. Don't know since I don't use the in-game map that often. But yeah I guess you can't do anything like that so that there's more of an incentive to find the GPS.

You can double click on the map were you want to place a custom marker and then name it.

I'm not sure if they save between sessions though. From my experience they don't :(

But if your trying to navigate within on session, they are quite useful.

This is possible on certain servers running regular and most certainly recruit difficulty.

You can double click on the map were you want to place a custom marker and then name it.

I'm not sure if they save between sessions though. From my experience they don't :(

But if your trying to navigate within on session' date=' they are quite useful.

[/quote']

Protip: Everyone on the server can see those. Some servers kick for doing so.

So I shouldnt put a marker in the middle of the wilderness that says "FREE LOOTZ COME GET IT!!!" ?

[/quote']

yes i have been kick for placing these markers and kno about them and i stick to the web browser map most of the time but navigating is still difficult due to if u stray a little further east then in tended when trying to get to the next town u some times get extremly lost when in further inland (where all the good loot is ;))

[/quote']

Real protip : the markers appears only for the people in the channel you're set to , so if you switch to group channel and then set the marker , only you will see it ( as you're alone in your group).

print ur self out a map of the world it helps a lot meanly for the N008s that are playing arma now (Being a N008 is not bad just means your new so dont get BUTTHURT plz I have been playing arma way longer then you have trust me)

[/quote']

Real protip : the markers appears only for the people in the channel you're set to , so if you switch to group channel and then set the marker , only you will see it ( as you're alone in your group).

Interesting. TIL :)

No.

There's a GPS in the game that you can loot. Other than that, learning how to read a map is probably one of the earlier things you'd need to learn in a post-apocalyptic world if you wanted to travel around to places where you heard there was nice loot.

Never had any problem navigating. You can hardly find a single spot in this game where there aren't enough landmarks to triangulate your location. Moonless night in the middle of the forrest? Yeah, a bit hard, but it should be.

Using landmarks and your surrounding to figure out where you are is the way it should be I think. I really wouldn't like to see this changed. The more you practice doing it, the easier it gets, trust me.

Lighthouses, mountain ranges, road signs, coastal position...all good for orienteering.

A compass helps too.

Really? How would the admin know who placed the markers? Unless you put your name next to them of course...

And if an admin does kick for that, bad, bad admin!

In a few servers in vanilla Arma 2 I've been able to see myself (not sure if the GPS makes a difference). I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of changing the server settings.

People don't write or place markers on maps in real life so they know where they are. You just have to learn how to read it and know where you are on the map.

Marking a map would mean you'd end up with tons of marks that meant nothing later on.

Putting a marker on the map would be pretty difficult considering you're holding it while you look at it.

How would that be difficult? When you read a map you use a pointer to point things out like features etc. This pointer can be a pencil. pen etc. That you then use to mark the map as you see fit,

Not sure where you are getting the "difficulty" from tbh.

US70 shows your position on the map and also has all other aspects of the veteran difficulty. Just saying.

I refuse to play on servers that;

Don't have crosshairs

Don't allow 3rd person view

Don't allow shift+left click map way-points

Kicks for high ping (I play with someone from Australia a lot)

The not knowing exactly where I am with a blue dot is fine just as long I can place a marker where I'm going and follow it via on screen indicator. Name-tags aren't that big of a deal either just an inconvenience.

Don't have crosshairs

The not knowing exactly where I am with a blue dot is fine just as long I can place a marker where I'm going and follow it via on screen indicator. Name-tags aren't that big of a deal either just an inconvenience.

I like having third person as an option, but i've learned that crosshairs are a bad thing. I don't think hip firing is supposed to be so easy. I made it a point to learn to use my iron sights.

Don't have crosshairs

I like having third person as an option' date=' but i've learned that crosshairs are a bad thing. I don't think hip firing is supposed to be so easy. I made it a point to learn to use my iron sights.

[/quote']

I'm not much of a fan of realism, especially in a game about zombies but I bite the bullet on most stuff like damage and bleeding and eating/drinking. besides, most of the guns I like to use you can't see passed the damn gun when looking through Iron sights.

Don't have crosshairs

I like having third person as an option' date=' but i've learned that crosshairs are a bad thing. I don't think hip firing is supposed to be so easy. I made it a point to learn to use my iron sights.

[/quote']

I'm not much of a fan of realism, especially in a game about zombies but I bite the bullet on most stuff like damage and bleeding and eating/drinking. besides, most of the guns I like to use you can't see passed the damn gun when looking through Iron sights.

You're not a fan of realism? Why are you playing a Military Simulator than? Why not go play CoD or Battlefield? Or maybe even GTA? I also suggest Tetris. And I also think that every single server should kick for high ping, I don't like trying to shoot someone who is teleporting due to lag.

Best regards.

Why is call of duty or battlefield the go-to response for people that don't enjoy super realism? that's incredibly annoying sir and I'll ask you to stop. I don't like CoD or BF because they're just games that are shat out every 6 months to milk money out of the same idiots all the time. I play this game because it's got zombies in it and it's kind of fun, not because it's "realism" which I'd hardly say that any game to date has anything resembling it. This game has done a fairly good job but it's still not very realistic. Besides the point you were trying to make was that I shouldn't be playing this game because I'm not a fan of realism, as if that's the only reason anyone should be playing the game. I reiterate, I like zombies and some other aspects of this mod are what I like, the realism not so much. FYI I didn't play Arma2 before DayZ, that doesn't make me any less of a person so I'd appreciate a little more respect from my fellow man instead of this "lul u n00b go play cod u fag xd" crap, thank you.

Why is call of duty or battlefield the go-to response for people that don't enjoy super realism? that's incredibly annoying sir and I'll ask you to stop. I don't like CoD or BF because they're just games that are shat out every 6 months to milk money out of the same idiots all the time. I play this game because it's got zombies in it and it's kind of fun' date=' not because it's "realism" which I'd hardly say that any game to date has anything resembling it. This game has done a fairly good job but it's still not very realistic. Besides the point you were trying to make was that I shouldn't be playing this game because I'm not a fan of realism, as if that's the only reason anyone should be playing the game. I reiterate, I like zombies and some other aspects of this mod are what I like, the realism not so much. FYI I didn't play Arma2 before DayZ, that doesn't make me any less of a person so I'd appreciate a little more respect from my fellow man instead of this "lul u n00b go play cod u fag xd" crap, thank you.

[/quote']

Did I call you a noob? Or a fag? I was really suggesting those other games because they aren't meant to be as reallistic, as they aren't military simulators but the more general FPS frag-oriented games. I did not insult you nor did I disrespect you. You are just being paranoid :)

Second, Arma IS a military simulator and DayZ IS doing its best to enact a zombie apocalypse with all the nerve wrecking tension associated with it. All the realism bits that were made especially for DayZ all add to the atmosphere which makes this game so unique and awesome. They should not be removed for the sake of making this a more arcade-like zombie mod, as it is not what rocket wants for this mod. As he said, one of his main objectives with this game is to make people feel. Feel anything, even if that makes them rage out and never play it again. At least that means they felt something. :)

And last but not least, you are the one insulting other people for supporting CoD or BF. I would appreciate a little more respect for those people, thank you ;)

Best regards.

Okay well I'm sorry that I jumped to conclusions about your intentions of that post. I was so ready for someone to throw the usual crap at me and tell me that this isn't someplace I should be that I assumed that that's what you were doing and I sincerely apologize for it.

Also, I understand that DayZ isn't really a "mod about zombies" it's more of what you described and that's why I like it. I recently helped a kick-starter project for another game involving zombies that promises survival aspects. I really enjoy what rocket is doing with this mod and I think projects like this need to be supported. There has been too many games LIKE dead island and L4D. Not to say that those games aren't enjoyable but there are too many like it and these kinds of games need publicity and support, of all kinds to show the gaming industry that these kinds of games are possible AND enjoyable.

Again I apologize for what may have seemed like an attack, I was going under assumptions and lets be honest it's hard to tell the way someone meant something to be read.