Sign in to follow this  
S3V3N

Namalsk - best map yet!

Hi!

I love Namalsk. I played 99% regular Dayz. Tried Lingor, but found the island doesn't make too much sense, the way its shaped and plays. Then I tried Namalsk and didn't go back to regular Chernarus Dayz, since.

Why is it cool? - Because it has a focus on survival. If you play Namalsk you need to keep warm. You have to keep fires going and find warm clothes and antibiotics to survive. Especially at night it may require you to group with at least one other person, in order to keep safe and warm. It feels great, has some real mountains and an awesome underground bunker. There is a lot of loot, but it's hard to hang on to it + you cannot hide everything miles off in debug country; an island definitely has some advantages.

Namalsk also has three choppers. You won't actually need them, considering it's the smallest Dayz map yet, but it's fun just getting them in the air and finding out how long you can survive.

I hope an island like this will be added. Despite the issues I usally have with starting gear, I think it's also nice you get matches and a hatchet on some of the servers. I found they all have side channel too and it doesn't spoil the game, yet it may break the immersion quite a bit. There are pros and cons for everything.

Overall, I think Namalsk is the way to go for at least some of the future Dayz landmass. They should make the whole of Chernarus an island and have several smaller ones around, one of them being akin to Namalsk. I think the island thing is actually planned for the retail version.

Awesome! I want more survival in Dayz, more hunting and preserving foods, storing, setting up traps and generally a survival themed game. On Namalsk only the idiots shoot right away, because you actually want to team up on the map and give each other some backup. I've had some of my beeste Dayz playing it!

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 7

All the pro's you state, are all there in private hives, even not being able to go outside the map into debug plains..

That may be so, but "regular" Daz isn't that unforgiving considering survival and the Chernarus map has a completely different pace, making you walk for miles without anything to fear or do on the way.

• Like 1

With the Standalone engine changes, Chernarus will probably be able to support a player population of at least 100 people. Random encounters in the woods will become more common because people generally take the same straight line paths through the woods. Namalsk will never become more than it is now due to its size.

I think Arma II already handles 100 people on some servers. I'm not looking forward to meeting MORE people in Dayz, since that just means more deathmatching. I'm looking for a more diverse map, which is not only meadows and forest. Namalsk can really get you killed without even seeing a single infected. It takes care of the survival aspects of the game, which are far more interesting to me than shooting someone. I still don't get why people enjoy playing as bandits, honestly. It's too easy.

In order to make life harder, survival should be pushed in some map areas. So it's unlikely you will see that many lone bandits in the "north", because it's cold and they need to trust someone to survive. I'm talking about a map that has areas suited better for survivalists and other, more risky areas for hoarders and areas that are more interesting for the PVP. Chernarus already has some of it, but a little more Namalsk would be a welcome addition for me.

I think Namalsk is the way to go for at least some of the future Dayz landmass. They should make the whole of Chernarus an island and have several smaller ones around, one of them being akin to Namalsk.

SIG material right there mate

I have all the OFP-ARMA-ARMA2 island on my steam installation, and I remeber the days from Flashpoint where there was a map that joined everon, malden and kolgujev it was awesome, I insist, peaople need to port the arma 1 islands and make some kind of chernarus+namalsk or chernarus + lingor or whatever

• Like 1

Yea Namalsk is intense, never a dull moment. Running trough a forest without a care in the world just doesn't happen anymore, you laways got to keep on your toes.

Haha yeah, I had a fight for a chopper with another guy yesterday and I stole it from him first and he later stole it back and I found the wreck int the forest later and knew it would respawn somewhere. Found it used it and got blown up by that same guy on one of the cities roofs. You simply cannot have that kind of vendetta game on Chernarus, because people are impossible to find.

We actually complimented each other on the excellent fight we put up, even though it was 2:1 for him in the end. Curse to him for having a frag grenade:)! A lot of other players also benefitted from that, since we tried to make alliances on the fly. I just wish there was something like a "white flag" option, so you could trust people, who wanna fly with you not to shoot at the chopper. Their gunning should be disabled while waving the flag, so you can pick them up safely.

This map is so epic, I see no reason to go backto Chernarus for now. Important, as always, is to find a good server and I thank the admin of my fav server for his great work and subtle help to newbs.

I would like to see a bit more animals on the map. As I happen to play solo they are key for my survival. :-)

i found a snow man on Namalsk.. Under the heli pad at the Seraja Army Base.. He seemed happy

Love the survival aspect on namalsk...its just silly how u always are stacked on food and drinks on the other maps. Very often I find myself actually scavaging for food/drink on Namalsk...never happends on other maps.

The cons to namalsk is the size and generally to much industrial/military camps...needs more variation. They could have made up for the size and variation with a bigger underground...or more of them.

Namalsk doesn't even come close to Chernarus in my opinion. So it has snow, and you have to keep warm more.. and it has more crash sites basically in the form of tanks and such with zombies around them.

I still like the layout and feel of Chernarus. To each their own.

I think Chernarus still has the best loot balance. there's only 2 barracks, and they're far from where anyone spawns

Namalsk introduces some interesting survival elements, but it's pvp focus means you probably will never be able to think about any sort of long-term survival. I mean, I don't see too many people setting up camps and whatnot on Namalsk. "survival" tends to mean having pain-killers and heat-packs to keep you from shaking in the next fire-fight...