Sign in to follow this  
Thegoon84

Night and Day, universal time

The only thing Warz got right was it was the same time on every server! That meant people weren't jumping servers to only play on day light!

I hope the Dayz Devs implement:

* Universal weather i.e weather same on every server

* Time is the same on every server

* Speed up the time full day every 6 hours

* Make sure torches are easy to equipped and use

* Dont allow people to much room to turn up brightness and that

Zombie Apocalypse should be about surviving in the night, it makes it far far more enjoyable and scary!

• Like 1

I see where your coming from and would agree to a certain extent but choice is a good thing for the players.

I sometimes like a good night game but part of the beauty of DayZ is the setting, Chernarus is a gorgeous place and worth seeing in the day, if you had same time on all servers those who work will get the same experience due to available times to play. Having servers change their time to suit caters for their local players. Speeding up the time is not (IMO) part of the realism. Changing setting allowances is a disaster as some players will need a certain setting to play (Think partially blind etc)

Different maps will need different times as weather and time could not possibly be the same.

• Like 1

Uhm... no? You want to force half the World to play at night while the other one has to play at daytime? There is a reason why we have timezones.

If anything they should be forced to at least abide by the day/night cycle, the 24/7 daylight servers are just stupid, but that's just my view and I prefer playing at night so I'm probably in the minority anyway.

As for a sped up day/night cycle, I don't like the idea of that either. I enjoy the feeling of dread that over comes you when you realise it's getting dark(or in my case the sun's comming up) and you'll have to survive such a long period of time till you're 'save' again in your preferred part of the day/night cycle.

Uhm... no? You want to force half the World to play at night while the other one has to play at daytime? There is a reason why we have timezones.

If anything they should be forced to at least abide by the day/night cycle, the 24/7 daylight servers are just stupid, but that's just my view and I prefer playing at night so I'm probably in the minority anyway.

As for a sped up day/night cycle, I don't like the idea of that either. I enjoy the feeling of dread that over comes you when you realise it's getting dark(or in my case the sun's comming up) and you'll have to survive such a long period of time till you're 'save' again in your preferred part of the day/night cycle.

Try reading what i said again... Speed up the in game time i.e 24hours = 5hours in game

24/7 day light servers are imo doing what they have to do to keep full... At the end of the day when it gets dark the server just instantly dies as people jump to day servers, you tell me where the logic in that is!

Edited by Thegoon84

Try reading what i said again... Speed up the in game time i.e 24hours = 5hours in game

24/7 day light servers are imo doing what they have to do to keep full... At the end of the day when it gets dark the server just instantly dies as people jump to day servers, you tell me where the logic in that is!

cuz most people (myself included) find nite boring and unintersting.

if DayZ forced nitetime play sessions on your character it would be my last day logged in to the game.

i play for fun, and i simply dont enjoy nitetime

Why bother?

Why bother? People live in different timezones... a guy on the east coast gets off school/work hours before guys on the west coast. But force them to all be on the same time table in game?

Why? So we can get Arma2 glare/light blindness more often from the sun being on the horizon?

Never use a torch. Its a rookie move that will get you shot.

Don't force everyone to the same day/night cycle. Has no one noticed how many, many servers EMPTY OUT when they go nightcycle?

I leave because if there is no moon- I can't see a thing. I don't find playing a game enjoyable with a black screen... so don't force sych nonsense... And I doubt NVG are gonna be made more available.

And don't force everyone to abide by the day/night cycle... for the same reason. Servers that are 24/7 day that I have been around are full all the time. (I wonder why! What do more people find fun? SEEING the game or not seeing the game?)

Sped up day night cycle? Meh. Same issue. You'll just have people leaving servers.

Edited by Seddrik
  • Like 2

Just throwing in my two cents. My computer has a hard time running on high-populated servers (not sure if it's my hard/software or the game) so I'm forced to play night servers as daylight servers are almost always to packed. That said I also can;t play half the night servers because the moon is always gone.

If every server was stuck on the same time then I have a 50/50 chance of it being playable when I can play, which means a 50/50 chance of EVER being able to play DayZ. I'm not a gambling man and not about to start with those odds.

I'm a lone wolf. I take pride in my (crappy) ability to navigate, search, and fight in the gray-scale colors of full moon's night. Hell why not just call me a vampire. But I know that 98% of the DayZ community likes having friends and playing during the day. So it's a 50/50 shot that either they or myself is screwed. Either way, it kills DayZ.

Sorry mate, but IMO this idea is gonna get sacked.

Why bother?

Why bother? People live in different timezones... a guy on the east coast gets off school/work hours before guys on the west coast. But force them to all be on the same time table in game?

Why? So we can get Arma2 glare/light blindness more often from the sun being on the horizon?

Never use a torch. Its a rookie move that will get you shot.

Don't force everyone to the same day/night cycle. Has no one noticed how many, many servers EMPTY OUT when they go nightcycle?

I leave because if there is no moon- I can't see a thing. I don't find playing a game enjoyable with a black screen... so don't force sych nonsense... And I doubt NVG are gonna be made more available.

And don't force everyone to abide by the day/night cycle... for the same reason. Servers that are 24/7 day that I have been around are full all the time. (I wonder why! What do more people find fun? SEEING the game or not seeing the game?)

Sped up day night cycle? Meh. Same issue. You'll just have people leaving servers.

Well in that case why have a night time in at all.... Are you just retarded or something?

Just wanted to bump this, i really hope we get full use out of night time!

Think its ridiculous that people can just change server to stay in the light, i want to be forced to play night time, otherwise whats the point!

Edited by Thegoon84

It's easy to see at night with chem lights , torches , flares and fires , and zombies are easily avoided with patience and slow movements , which 90% of players don't employ .

The problem is most people are too scared too use lights , because a very very large majority of players are opportunists , who will prey on these players .

But this comes back to the KOS problem , which I highly doubt will ever be any different (unless play styles get punished! ), and as such , night time will inevitably be about empty servers .

Edited by Jars

I like night servers, but the way night time handles could be seriously improved.

Night time can be good fun, but In my experience, those servers tend to have only 2 kinds of players.

Those who like to be taken out of their comfort zone. And those with NVGs who want to exploit any advantage they can.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying using the tools available is a bad thing, but 9 times out of 10, anyone without night vision is in for a world of hurt against those who do.

People don't like night, there are likely many, many reasons for this. Here are a couple of my observations -

Light doesn't bounce realistically in ArmA 2, that's where much of the discomfort stems from.

If you shine a torch inside a room IRL, the light would brighten the entire area, Unfortunately, that isn't simulated in DayZ mod

If the new shaders in SA allow for light to reflect properly during night time, at least everything won't be totally blackened for a massive chunk of the day.

We would be able to see a little by moonlight, when it's available. Weather permitting, Just the very basic outlines though.

The 24 hour cycle should stay. It's a major part of the "survival simulation" feel of the game.

As for KoS that everyone fears, That's just a fact of the matter, there's no way to definitely avoid it.

But, the more people try it out, the better they learn to handle themselves in those situations.

IMO Denying yourself the opportunity to experience these sorts of things will put you at a disadvantage in the long run.

It would be cool if there were the odd servers here and there which did do accelerated day/night cycle. There's probably not many out there who would like this style but I'm sure there'd be enough out there to populate a few servers with this running! :)

Maybe a harsh winter themed server where the sun is hardly around... gotta loot up before the darkness hits and when it does, better get somewhere safe to hold out for the long night ahead! Too much I am legend?

I don't understand what the problem is with players time shifting by logging in to servers with the time of day they prefer.

That feature feels fairly realistic to me. In the real world if it's getting dark and I'm afraid of walking off a cliff or getting attacked by something I can't see I'll just curl up in a bush for 10 hours +/- until it is light enough to see again. Nothing forces me to keep wandering around like a blind man.

Some people have a conniption with the idea of people playing the game in a way different from their personal preference.

Note Goonie's quoting my post then asserting an extreme (and incorrect) conclusion that my arguments mean we should just remove night totally and then (adding oh so much credit to his reply - derp) he insults me. Guess he was just unable to see that I never said remove night time, rather I argued against forcing everyone to be on the same day/night cycle. Some people do play at night (for various reasons) and some of us do not. Don't strip variety from the game and force everyone into the same size 3 hat. Of course some small minded people will enjoy a size 3 hat, because it fits them perfectly. But others wouldn't like it much at all, having their own reasons (like living in a different timezone or getting off work at a different time - Derp! Real Life!!!).

If you can't see that allowing people to have more CHOICES in this game is a good thing... and reasonable... theres not much that needs to be said in reply to you. (Hands Thegoon84 a size 3 hat.) (Your name is terribly appropriate btw... lol)

Edited by Seddrik Frost

I don't the problem with sped up day/night cycles, since everything else in game is scaled down in some way. The landscape is pretty much a scaled down version of real land alongside a river in the Czech Republic, the size of the towns and cities are scaled down, the distance between them is scaled down, the time it takes to get hungry and thirsty is scaled down, not to mention a load of other stuff

If I find a good server that's GMT, it's nice to know that I can settle in to a particular style of play for a good few hours.

I don't support having every server on the same 24hour cycle (all at that EXACT same timezone) but I do like having the 24 hour rotation.

People will (or should) have the option to play a day server when it's night IRL. Different folks like different things, and not everybody has the free time to schedule their lives around their preferred playing time. :P

Maybe there will be servers which compress time to 4 days per day, but a lot of people like the 24 hour system.

If scaled down days were on every server, those who like long nights would be getting snubbed.

As it stands, you could play on a night server for a couple of hours, then switch to a day server if you want and nobody gets hurt.

Some people have a conniption with the idea of people playing the game in a way different from their personal preference.

Note Goonie's quoting my post then asserting an extreme (and incorrect) conclusion that my arguments mean we should just remove night totally and then (adding oh so much credit to his reply - derp) he insults me. Guess he was just unable to see that I never said remove night time, rather I argued against forcing everyone to be on the same day/night cycle. Some people do play at night (for various reasons) and some of us do not. Don't strip variety from the game and force everyone into the same size 3 hat. Of course some small minded people will enjoy a size 3 hat, because it fits them perfectly. But others wouldn't like it much at all, having their own reasons (like living in a different timezone or getting off work at a different time - Derp! Real Life!!!).

If you can't see that allowing people to have more CHOICES in this game is a good thing... and reasonable... theres not much that needs to be said in reply to you. (Hands Thegoon84 a size 3 hat.) (Your name is terribly appropriate btw... lol)

Wow, what a well written reply. I bet you feel greatly superior to everyone else on here hey.

Your reply was pointless, had no really reason why you didn’t like night time.

You TOTALLY missed my point, Night time imo can be used as an advantage. Jump on a dark server if you have NVG’s and gear up more…. Want to run to your tent but don’t want to get shot … Jump on a night time server and run in the dark!

Like I was TRYING to say, I like the thought of having to survive in the dark. HOWEVER I wont play on dark servers without NVG’s as I’l quickly get killed.

Are you saying leaving it as it is and use Night time empty servers as a way to exploit the game?

Edited by Thegoon84