flayer0

Wallets (add to the immersion)

Dog tags are a great way to identify dead ppl but in dayz people arent soldiers, so why not have wallets with i.d.s. Starter item like the flashlight, for newcomers a cool thing to open and look at. Your D.O.B would be hours alive and you can customize your wallet from synthetic fibers to leather. You can write little notes and keep them in your wallet. others can take your wallets making it, like in the real world, impossible to start or a drive a car.

I guess you can put money in your wallet (moneys only being used to start a camp fire faster). tell me what you think

if you like this idea checkout my other ideas and dont forget to like comment and subscribe:

http://dayzmod.com/f...in-unique-ways/

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104695-a-different-take-on-trains/

Edited by flayer0
  • Like 13

This could be something useful if it had more so of a purpose or was more developed on

I actually really enjoy this idea. Would really decrease hud and bring it more into the immersion of the game. Clicked on this thinking would be silly but actually sounds like a good idea.

I like the idea. And the several other "players should be able to leave notes around for other players to find" ideas.

But really? "..and don't forget to like comment and subscribe!"

• Like 1

^ its a suggestion you dont have to if you dont want to but it really helps.

joking aside thanks for the feedback

Maybe what you could do the add as well, is when you look at their ID, it could also help to see how they were killed. COvered in blood could mean killed by zombies, half the card broke off or with a huge hole in it would mean he was killed by wall of lead.

Also if you could collect IDs in your wallet as well as an Infifinate stack item in your own wallet, so if you killed a bandit you could open his wallet to find a huge stack of his victims ID.

• Like 4

Maybe what you could do the add as well, is when you look at their ID, it could also help to see how they were killed. COvered in blood could mean killed by zombies, half the card broke off or with a huge hole in it would mean he was killed by wall of lead.

Also if you could collect IDs in your wallet as well as an Infifinate stack item in your own wallet, so if you killed a bandit you could open his wallet to find a huge stack of his victims ID.

i really like you what you have here, a simple way of adding depth to the game without changing how its played very genius

Yeah, i think its subtle ideas like that is what the game needs more of.

I love seeing some of the Ideas that people are coming up with that are just so elegant and brilliant.

I like it, maybe they could incorporate the "squad image" from arma2, or something similar where people upload an image to be displayed in the wallet. In desperate times you could pull out that picture of the wife and kids. Or the wife and kids of the guy you just murdered.

I don't think the wallet should have information like cause of death, days alive, or hero/bandit, and stuff that isn't real world wallet information. Height, weight, age, sex, address, and picture of the character are a good start. Maybe even let players fill out the age and address when spawning.

I like this idea, clicked on the thread thinking WTF is this going to be but now I like it.

I like this idea, clicked on the thread thinking WTF is this going to be but now I like it.

glad you liked it, this first started as a joke if you can believe it

It don't like it, it's a small and meaningless addition that serves no purpose. Don't get me wrong, notes as a separate idea is good, money in an apocalypse? But character information is not something I personally play for, I come across your body and I'll bury you, wallet wasted! I don't see th point of Death tallies in a game where your aim is to survive.

I'm running from an infected zed and I have nothing to defend myself I could throw my wallet as a distraction like a flare. That's as much use it would be, information without a story driven background would be a bit pointless.

Not tryin to be negative or piss on your idea.

The ability to identify a dead player could be connected to the wallet (ID in it) so if I choose to drop it no one can found my player name by the "study body" option. Otoh it might look like a bandit act to drop ones wallet etc.

Another (not directly connected I admit) function of a wallet could be an ability to show a temporary, short-distance nameplate. It could either be shown to all players within a small radius (1-3 m) or if technically possible: shown to 1 specific player on a slightly longer distance, say 15m. The nameplate would disappear automatically after 15-60s (a short conversation until you go separate ways or fire fight starts).

It don't like it, it's a small and meaningless addition that serves no purpose. Don't get me wrong, notes as a separate idea is good, money in an apocalypse? But character information is not something I personally play for, I come across your body and I'll bury you, wallet wasted! I don't see th point of Death tallies in a game where your aim is to survive.

I'm running from an infected zed and I have nothing to defend myself I could throw my wallet as a distraction like a flare. That's as much use it would be, information without a story driven background would be a bit pointless.

Not tryin to be negative or piss on your idea.

why dont you shut up and leave my thread...jk

i see where you're coming from, "small and meaningless" i wanted wallets to become a way for people to become more attached to their players, its an optional item you can use, it wont take away any of the magic that is dayz if you dont use it

no........jk

If you want to get more attached to stuff in DayZ, good luck. I am waiting for players dogs to get killed let alone a wallet being taken from them, most can't handle their kit being looted. I'm sure you'll read their post's.

I think if there is any player story element to the game, then a diary of sorts would better suit the SA. Leaving notes also would add to your character and your journey, a wallet? nah there's not enough of a story for Pictures of a wife and personal effects. I like to look at suggestions as "what would it add to the game?"

Players lives are too short for the most part so adding small things would waste the reason it was added!

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

nah there's not enough of a story

Rocket has purposely left out a back story so players could create their own.

But, I don't understand your point with the lack of story. People carry wallets in real life, there is no need for a story to explain why a person carries a wallet.

Money would be pointless, yes. But, it might not be pointless to everyone. Maybe a bandit would collect the money from your wallet and discard your family photos, or maybe some crazy fucker will attempt to pick pocker your money while you're looting cherno.

While a wallet, ID, photo & money might be "pointless" items in the game, meaning they aren't directly involved in gameplay mechanics, people WILL find a way to incorperate them into their own stories. Rocket has mentioned adding useless items for us to play with, I think this suggestion is a step in that direction.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 1

Fuck I hate this forum sometimes. I added more to my post above and then it disappeared when I clicked post.

Anyway, I think it would be best to add a wallet to the toolbelt, and when you click on it you get the option to "Open Wallet" similar to the backpack. Once opened you would have a few slots that can only be used for picture, ID, money, notes, etc. That way you wouldn't have to make the decision to drop your wallet to make room for supplies.

Rocket has purposely left out a back story so players could create their own.

But, I don't understand your point with the lack of story. People carry wallets in real life, there is no need for a story to explain why a person carries a wallet.

Money would be pointless, yes. But, it might not be pointless to everyone. Maybe a bandit would collect the money from your wallet and discard your family photos, or maybe some crazy fucker will attempt to pick pocker your money while you're looting cherno.

While a wallet, ID, photo & money might be "pointless" items in the game, meaning they aren't directly involved in gameplay mechanics, people WILL find a way to incorperate them into their own stories. Rocket has mentioned adding useless items for us to play with, I think this suggestion is a step in that direction.

its good to see that people actually do want pointless trinkets incorporated into the standalone. and thanks for fending off that bully

its good to see that people actually do want pointless trinkets incorporated into the standalone. and thanks for fending off that bully

Bully? I am sorry you think of me as a bully!! I do recall reading your immediate second post, obviously you didn't mean that. I'm a NICE person, but I don't need other peoples support for a forum suggestion, which IMO is a pointless idea based on introducing a pointless item into game because underneath it all players would have other not so pointless pressing matters to deal with. You will be better off asking for water purifiers. or perhaps a playboy magazine? If you want a bit more content then just think about diary's! that would offer you more than a wallet. I also believe all suggestions are good suggestions I am not knocking your idea i just don't see the point!!

Rocket has purposely left out a back story so players could create their own. He also left out chocolate teacups and more comfortable footwear, if he is planning on introducing items to serve a player story then good luck to that, you take away the mystery of how did I get here then the original idea of being thrown into a situation becomes shaded by personal information which bears no point in the game. Believe it or not part of the pull for DayZ is because it does not conform to other games, the difference in not knowing why or when, makes it a great idea. Yes players can make up their own stories but there is nothing more powerful than a imagination not directed by an idea being pushed onto a player. Take into account also the fact a wallet will become as useful as a crowbar, pretty shit unless there is a point to it's use. RP players can collect all the money they want, bandits can rob all they want, but a wallet will just become another pointless item, As for being a personal item with slots, I have pockets in my pants as a character I would want this as a storage part before I was given a bloody wallet to put in pictures of my wife and kids (In game or out game makes no difference, It wouldn't better my playing experience nor would it serve as a valid playing tool for me. Christ! I play to get away from RL scenarios :P)

But, I don't understand your point with the lack of story. People carry wallets in real life, there is no need for a story to explain why a person carries a wallet. Because a player doesn't need a wallet? do you have a wallet in any other game? when on missions in the army no-one carried a wallet! A player washes up on a beach with a torch and bandage and a box of painkillers, do you walk around with them in real life? oh and a wallet, with what in? money that has no role in the game nor would have in an apocalypse? A credit card which serves no purpose but could be used for Hollywood styled door opening? Coins, which only new purpose would be to stick to a grenade? a pictures of people who have no role in the story, what you gonna do? phone em up? communicate through the tower at Green Mountain? i suppose having pictures in a wallet would make your game playing better? I would prefer pictures of people in houses, people you didn't know, I wonder what happened to them, ones where i can find out about in a local area, bits of notes and survivors diaries etc. Not people in my wallet who serve no purpose and I will never see again because they keep changing when I die as often as i do due to the unforgiving world i now play in. AS for currency We have loot, I don't think a player nor bandit would lift your wallet as much as other more essential items, you know like :beans: ?!?!?!

Money would be pointless, yes. But, it might not be pointless to everyone. Maybe a bandit would collect the money from your wallet and discard your family photos, or maybe some crazy fucker will attempt to pick pocker your money while you're looting cherno. Maybe currency would be loot available in the map, not paper? You are not going to invest in attaining money, it will be be useless for anything but starting a fire. Are you telling me a player will give up storage for a useless item, that would be a crazy fucker? after a while even the most ardent RP player would lose interest in wallet contents, therefore why put them into the game? Why would any player seriously want to collect money when it has no use, you may as well just use Empty tin cans, as metal could be recycled for better use. We don't need bankers in game pushing a failed scenario in an apocalypse. Seriously only mad people (crazy fuckers as you put it) would still cling to the concept of money after the world goes tits up, mad people as in this sense as they would not survive long collecting pointless crap. As ideas go "how would it benefit the experience?"

While a wallet, ID, photo & money might be "pointless" items in the game, meaning they aren't directly involved in gameplay mechanics, people WILL find a way to incorperate them into their own stories. Rocket has mentioned adding useless items for us to play with, I think this suggestion is a step in that direction. So what other useless items has he said he wants to introduce? Yes i agree players may find a use for them, A, please state what this use is?, B, why introduce a mechanic into game that the majority of players will not utlise nor benefit from? Do you not think there is enough to do in game to spend your time with as opposed to a wallet? For I.D. I would prefer Dog Tags, they are all the information I would care to know about.

sidenote: For me dogs are a useless item, I can get with players making up a use for them, but if it does not have a mass appeal, a more prominent role in game, then why waste the resources in putting it in game? It has taken how long to get dogs into game? and they cant even attack rabbits? sure you can work on this and hope in future the role become adopted to something more useful but lets be honest a there are more pressing things than wallets.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

The idea of a pointless wallet being added scares you that much huh?

So you admit it is pointless? so why add it? That is my point, why add something that will undoubtedly become a minor distractiion eventually? Surely the SA resources could be wasted on more needed and beneficial items?

And the onlything that scares me are stupid people, and my mother! I would love for players to show me their wallets if we were in an apocalypse, it would only highlight an individual who lives in the past.

But please, if I offended you then tough, not everyone has a need for pointless things in a game and I can agree to disagree.

Bully? I am sorry you think of me as a bully!! I do recall reading your immediate second post, obviously you didn't mean that. I'm a NICE person, but I don't need other peoples support for a forum suggestion, which IMO is a pointless idea based on introducing a pointless item into game because underneath it all players would have other not so pointless pressing matters to deal with. You will be better off asking for water purifiers. or perhaps a playboy magazine? If you want a bit more content then just think about diary's! that would offer you more than a wallet. I also believe all suggestions are good suggestions I am not knocking your idea i just don't see the point!!

I think you kinda contradict yourself in your response to the quotes. On one hand you say 'part of the pull for DayZ is because it does not conform to other games' but then you gon on and say 'do you have a wallet in any other game?'.

Just because 'items' might not have a use doesn't mean there is no value in adding them to the game. For example look at games like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls franchise, they have all sorts of useless items lying around, what it does is add to the immersion. To me DayZ is all about 'authenticity' and 'immersion' into the world and in my opinion a few 'useless' items can go along way.

But I can see why one might think it a bad or rather useless idea. I think it should surely take a back seat priority wise but it should not be discarded entirely.

• Like 1

So you admit it is pointless? so why add it? That is my point, why add something that will undoubtedly become a minor distractiion eventually? Surely the SA resources could be wasted on more needed and beneficial items?

And the onlything that scares me are stupid people, and my mother! I would love for players to show me their wallets if we were in an apocalypse, it would only highlight an individual who lives in the past.

But please, if I offended you then tough, not everyone has a need for pointless things in a game and I can agree to disagree.

I'm not offended, it's actually kind of entertaining to read.

Another contradiction would be going on about the pointlessness of adding pointless features, but still want to throw in your suggestion for a pointless diary.

Oh, and your argument about living in the past. DayZ the Z stands for zero. When you spawn is day number zero, the start of your new life in a zombie apocalypse. You're free to discard your wallet and embrace your new life or hold on to the past and hope to god you can go home one day.

What's next? Beans or wallet? I mentioned adding it to toolbelt, so yeah, no conflict.

The intrusive HUD study body text could be replaced by an immersive "view wallet" screen.

• Like 1