Exar0s

Wait for Stand Alone DayZ?

Hello all,

I am disappointed in myself that somehow I never heard of this game/mod until recently. Now with this Mod ultimately costing me $40 to be able to play it I decided to participate in the newer War Z alpha testing. I LOVE War Z, despite what i read here the game is great, yes it will require much more work (Voice, Map, Guilds, Vehicles etc) but for an alpha stage game it is a blast. I have reviewed DayZ and it will no doubt be a day 1 purchase for me when the stand alone version is released. So my question here is should I drop the $40 to be able to play DayZ now or wait until the SA release? From what I have read it should be released in November/December.

I only make mention of War Z because it is the same category game. DayZ is obviously more developed and has been around much longer. I have been watching videos of DayZ non stop and can't wait to join the community. So what do you guys think? Would I be wasting money purchasing it now?

It's a personal opinion on whether to purchase Arma 2 and download DayZ mod for it. If you think you would enjoy playing Arma 2 as well as DayZ I would spend the money on it. If not, wait for the DayZ SA, seeing as it's right around the corner this is the option I would personally weigh up.

Although, DayZ is an awesome mod for Arma 2 and you would get in some good playtime before the SA hits.

Thanks guys, I really have no interest in Arma 2 so I will probably wait for the SA version. I'm just such an impatient guy >:( I guess War Z will hold the craving over until the SA is released. See you all then!

You could just download the free version of ArmA 2 and then buy OA. Honestly though, in my opinion, with all the different maps and mods available on the private servers right now, I'd spend the $40 if I had to. Even after the stand alone releases, I'll still be playing on the modded servers. There's just too much fun to be had.

You could just download the free version of ArmA 2 and then buy OA. Honestly though, in my opinion, with all the different maps and mods available on the private servers right now, I'd spend the $40 if I had to. Even after the stand alone releases, I'll still be playing on the modded servers. There's just too much fun to be had.

I wouldn't mind doing that. I'm looking on Steam but I do not see the "free version" of Arma 2. If I could just buy the expansion I would do it in a heartbeat. Do you have a link to this free version? Thanks in advance

Personally I like both the mod and (from what I've seen so far) the standalone. I have nothing against WarZ, but it looks like a bit of a ripoff of DayZ. Just saying.

I wouldn't mind doing that. I'm looking on Steam but I do not see the "free version" of Arma 2. If I could just buy the expansion I would do it in a heartbeat. Do you have a link to this free version? Thanks in advance

it might be listed under demos, all you need is arma 2 free and operation arrowhead. I would also purchase now if i were you. Too much fun to wait for the standalone.

Did a search myself for Arma 2 free on Steam and no such luck. The free version of Arma 2 is Here but I am pretty sure you wouldn't be upgrading with OA through Steam.

You could buy Arma II: Combined Operations for $29.99 on Steam, which will give you the ability to play DayZ if you so desire. Doing a quick search it seems that you would be paying around this anyway going the free download with buying the OA addon.

yeah ArmA II: Free was taken off the store, but I think theres a demo for OA?

Did a search myself for Arma 2 free on Steam and no such luck. The free version of Arma 2 is Here but I am pretty sure you wouldn't be upgrading with OA through Steam.

You could buy Arma II: Combined Operations for $29.99 on Steam, which will give you the ability to play DayZ if you so desire. Doing a quick search it seems that you would be paying around this anyway going the free download with buying the OA addon.

I see, perhaps I will do this. I would just hate to drop $30 then the SA come out 2-3 weeks later.