Judemoukari

Few words about crossbow.

So, I used crossbow for the very first time today (I've had plenty of chances but I always preferred bullet shooting guns more) and I'm actually quite surprised how good it was. You can make quick stealth kills and reloading speed was quite high as well. My only problem is that steel bolt won't stack at all. It's kinda weird that every bolt takes one inventory space, so at best, if you also want to have some food and medical supplies with you, you can carry from 3 to 6 bolts, assuming that you only have patrol pack. Since every Enfield magazine contains ten bullets, and just like crossbow, it kills in one shot, it makes choosing which weapon to pick up pretty one sided. I know that if you could have like 10 bolts in one stack it would make crossbow too over-powered, but would it be too much if you could stack at least two or three bolts? Is there going to be any change what so ever or is it going to stay that way?

I really fell in love with that weapon, but when you can't retrieve the bolts you have used, it just seems that you are running low on bolts all the time. Is anyone with me on this?

e like 10 bolts in one stack it would make crossbow too over-powered, but would it be too much if you could stack at least two or three bolts? Is there going to be any change what so ever or is it going to stay that way?

I really fell in love with that weapon, but when you can't retrieve the bolts you have used, it just seems that you are running low on bolts all the time. Is anyone with me on this?

* Stack bolts? Like a bolt action rife? To my knowledge no such cross bow exists IRL.

* A quiver that holds 10 bolts would be considered a small or average size one! Not very cumbersome at all!

* You can retrive arrows by looking at them and looting, you can't do it on the zombies. Standalone will add quiver and proper bolt retrieval!

The Xbow is something i've been wanting to use more and more. Yet to kill anybody with it, seems like fun!

Edited by Trizzo

Crossbows are only good for killing zombies and I prefer a hatchet for killing zombies.

It's totally useless in pvp. I once shot someone with a crossbow, he became unconscious and I shot him again with the crossbow right in the head! I saw the arrow in his head and he managed to wake up and kill me with his AKM! Crossbow is bullshit since headshots aren't doing anything...

Aiming with crossbow is also pretty tricky, since there's no clear iron sight to look at.

* Stack bolts? Like a bolt action rife? To my knowledge no such cross bow exists IRL.

* A quiver that holds 10 bolts would be considered a small or average size one! Not very cumbersome at all!

* You can retrive arrows by looking at them and looting, you can't do it on the zombies. Standalone will add quiver and proper bolt retrieval!

The Xbow is something i've been wanting to use more and more. Yet to kill anybody with it, seems like fun!

Well, I actually meant something like quiver but didn't remember the word. My point is that since almost every firearm holds many bullets in one clip, it just seems "unfair" (I know, not a good word when used in discussion involving DayZ) that you can only have one bolt per inventory space. Put boldly, it doesn't seem realistic at all.

Well not all weapons can be balanced to the same level. Some need to be better than others for obvious reasons. Crossbows may or may not be more abundant than the .303. However they both have their ups and downs, like all guns. The downfalls of the Crossbow are the perks of the .303 and vise versa.

Crossbow perks:

- Silent

- Reusable ammunition

- One shot (To the head)

.303 perks:

- Ammo stacks

- Abundant ammo

- One shots.

It really does depend on your play style. I don't think either weapon should be changed.

Well not all weapons can be balanced to the same level. Some need to be better than others for obvious reasons. Crossbows may or may not be more abundant than the .303. However they both have their ups and downs, like all guns. The downfalls of the Crossbow are the perks of the .303 and vise versa.

Crossbow perks:

- Silent

- Reusable ammunition

- One shot (To the head)

.303 perks:

- Ammo stacks

- Abundant ammo

- One shots.

It really does depend on your play style. I don't think either weapon should be changed.

I'm not saying that any weapon should be changed, I'm just thinking that it's a bit of a flaw in a game that tries to be as realistic as this type of game can be that your character can only carry few arrows, even though they weight next to nothing in real life. At the moment only reason for anyone to pick up crossbow is when there's no other weapons available.

I'm not saying that any weapon should be changed, I'm just thinking that it's a bit of a flaw in a game that tries to be as realistic as this type of game can be that your character can only carry few arrows, even though they weight next to nothing in real life. At the moment only reason for anyone to pick up crossbow is when there's no other weapons available.

They're crossbow bolts. Not arrows. They can be quite weighty irl :P And yeah, a quiver mechanic would be nice. However unfortunately I assume this addition is at the bottom of their to-do list and will be for quite some time :(

They're crossbow bolts. Not arrows. They can be quite weighty irl :P And yeah, a quiver mechanic would be nice. However unfortunately I assume this addition is at the bottom of their to-do list and will be for quite some time :(

Yeah, you may be right about that, there's enough stuff to do other than quiver for crossbow bolts to even get the SA work properly. But it would be nice thing to add in any case, because I really liked that low-tech feel when I had that weapon in my hands. At the moment there's no real reason to pick crossbow over Enfield since you can have 30 rounds instead of three bolts.

Oh, and sorry for confusing arrows and bolts, my native language isn't english as you probably noticed :D

Oh, and sorry for confusing arrows and bolts, my native language isn't english as you probably noticed :D

Haha, no your English is flawless :) Bolts and arrows are pretty much the same thing; just bolts are shorter and more dense. I wouldn't expect many people to know the difference anyway :P And I'm sure in standalone they'll introduce a quiver assuming they keep the Crossbow in the game.

What sucks is that sometimes you don't get your bolt back either. The bolts not stacking in your inventory has always been a problem and was one of the main reasons why I don't use the crossbow unfortunately.

Crossbows will get some love in the standalone, Rocket revealed an image of a crossbow with a scope on it and has talked about quivers.

Crossbows will get some love in the standalone, Rocket revealed an image of a crossbow with a scope on it and has talked about quivers.

Whow, cool. I've been trying to stay clear of everything containing info about standalone, I want it to surprise me like this mod did when I started but that sounds good.

This crossbow fetish might also have something to do with The Walking Dead season 3 airing now in our country.

Jude, I loved the crossbow as a beginner. It's still a great weapon so long as you have 2-3 arrows.

As for using it against other players... dunno. That's not how I play. The silent kill vs. walkers is the key to my gameplay.

Long as you don't go against players with it you're fine. Not sure how much blood damage it does DayZDB says 3550 I think. So three shots [including constant bleeding from the first shot] with medium reload speed and single shot only is very hard to pull off in PVP, vs zeds just try and shoot them in the SIDE of the face because if you hit them in the face you'll probably lose your bolt when it face plants the floor. It'd also be nice for the fletchings (stabilizers) to glow in the dark for easier night-time use. I've lost many a bolt in the dark. >_<

Edited by DragoValhar

i love the crossbow but probably only because of Daryl in the walking dead

I've been here since the very beginning of DayZ (the day the forum officially went up) and seen this thread hell even made this thread dozens of times.

From the very start this crossbow has needed and had demanded the following:

A Iron Sight/Scope, if you Google crossbows you'll not likely see any pictures of any modern crossbow without a sight/scope.

71798d1314339267-crossbow-crossbow-pic.jpg

As you can see, this is a close example to the crossbow you see in the game, same camo and relative shape, but sports a handy scope which I'm sure if removed has an iron sight alternative, you could make both versions and make the scoped one rarer.

Secondly as stated by OP we need bolt quivers, in this image and most you'll find it's typically 4 and I believe that's a fine number, the only reason I ever swap this weapon out for others like an AKM is because I loot and carrying 4 bolts or more consumes too much space given you need to always get a head shot, may miss and lose the bolt, the zombie may land on it and make it un-retreivable... when any other gun can kill dozens more for that amount of ammo space.

Note: Don't even try to rationalise it'd be too spacious of heavy, just compare a jerry can (3 spaces) to 3 bolts....1 bolt to a barb wire kit?

It'd also be nice for the fletchings (stabilizers) to glow in the dark for easier night-time use. I've lost many a bolt in the dark. >_<

I completely agree, luminous fletching exists and for this exact reason, retrieval of bolts and arrows in the dark. The con would be you'd have this small luminous arrow sitting on your crossbow others would be able to see mildly at a distance.

GlowW-Boot2.jpg

I'm shocked that after so long this weapon I've begged to see improved has gone untouched by Rocket or the Mod community. Sure we'll likely get what we want in the standalone but what about till then? or even those who are going to keep playing free on the Arma 2 mod that as I'm told will keep going?

I feel it's a damn shame, I'd love the crossbow to be a viable weapon to consider instead of the loud military guns that run out of ammo before you know it and keep pulling you back to military loot spots just to stock up ammo, which are usually looted already or bandit traps.

Edited by SgtSnug

I've been here since the very beginning of DayZ (the day the forum officially went up) and seen this thread hell even made this thread dozens of times.

From the very start this crossbow has needed and had demanded the following:

A Iron Sight/Scope, if you Google crossbows you'll not likely see any pictures of any modern crossbow without a sight/scope.

71798d1314339267-crossbow-crossbow-pic.jpg

As you can see, this is a close example to the crossbow you see in the game, same camo and relative shape, but sports a handy scope which I'm sure if removed has an iron sight alternative, you could make both versions and make the scoped one rarer.

Secondly as stated by OP we need bolt quivers, in this image and most you'll find it's typically 4 and I believe that's a fine number, the only reason I ever swap this weapon out for others like an AKM is because I loot and carrying 4 bolts or more consumes too much space given you need to always get a head shot, may miss and lose the bolt, the zombie may land on it and make it un-retreivable... when any other gun can kill dozens more for that amount of ammo space.

Note: Don't even try to rationalise it'd be too spacious of heavy, just compare a jerry can (3 spaces) to 3 bolts....1 bolt to a barb wire kit?

I completely agree, luminous fletching exists and for this exact reason, retrieval of bolts and arrows in the dark. The con would be you'd have this small luminous arrow sitting on your crossbow others would be able to see mildly at a distance.

GlowW-Boot2.jpg

I'm shocked that after so long this weapon I've begged to see improved has gone untouched by Rocket or the Mod community. Sure we'll likely get what we want in the standalone but what about till then? or even those who are going to keep playing free on the Arma 2 mod that as I'm told will keep going?

I feel it's a damn shame, I'd love the crossbow to be a viable weapon to consider instead of the loud military guns that run out of ammo before you know it and keep pulling you back to military loot spots just to stock up ammo, which are usually looted already or bandit traps.

This issue has not been touched as it would require too much effort for something which is seemingly useless AT THE MOMENT. Don't get me wrong, this idea is great. All these ideas are great. However there are many better things which need to be fixed before we focus on crossbows. Making a new crossbow would require them to create a new weapon to implement into the game which is completely unnecessary during the Alpha stages and while the game is still just a mod. When standalone is release, issues such as the crossbow will be attended to, however at the moment I do highly doubt anything will be done.

Don't think your suggestions have gone unheared. The DayZ team is here to make sure the players get he best out of the game, and I'm sure these issues will be attended to during standalone if not released with these new features already added.

You could do it by changing a bolt to a "magazine" with 3 ammo and make the reload time longer to simulate reloading a bolt by hand. That can't be much work as you only change a few values.

So I don't want to use crossbow againts players? I never really got chance to try it out, since I thought that any player with at least one full magazine in any firearm could kill me by the time I actually got to shoot second bolt. As stated already, there's also the problem with aiming, I really think that you can't hit anything with it that moves. Haven't tried but I already have problem even hitting those zombies that only walk.

Also, I didn't even know that I can fetch any of the bolts I've already shot. But that's no surprise, if it only works sometimes.

crossbow owns! I have won many pvp fights with it . and being killed by it when you have "superior" gear is very frustrating to players. YOU CAN PICK UP BOLTS OFF OF DEAD ZOMBIES , it can be tricky sometimes depending where you shoot them. One time I was driving around picking up noobs on coast and we picked up the wrong guy. When we stopped to fuel up he started to attack the other bambies and the car, so i just spun around and shot him once in the head with the crossbow and he dropped like a stone. He died from one shot.