Ranger79

Official disconnect thread

Agreed, this needs a client fix where you persist in the world after losing connection for a set amount of time. Something we will have to put up with until they get around to it.

The whole banning thing is flawed at the moment. People are even being perma-banned for picking up hacker's loot and the devs are fine with it!

A lot of people have bought arma 2 specifically to play this mod, handing out bans is simply unfair. Even for hacking imo. Give them a temp or just ban them from the server they were on.

I wouldn't do it but at the end of the day there are far more important things to worry about.

People dc in many games, it's not the end of the world guys.

Yesterday was attacked by bandit, killed him but no body was found. Two hours later same situation with another bandit. I managed to survive & killed him. Destination was about 10m. Body disapeared.

I'm thinking why should I gave my loot to them than? I will also use same "feature" next itme.

Banning users for breaking rules feels a bit unfair considering the rules aren't found in game and not all users are members of this forum.

I know its harsh, but something about quick-exits to avoid death kinda sums up the kind of people that disgust me in real life....the "do the deed and try to avoid the consequence" kind of people. Liars and cheaters pretty much.

What I think is worse is that you have recorded this and tried to get someone banned for it. You deserve a ban more than he does.

How do you know his internet didn't cut off or something like that?

Please don't turn this community into minecraft where kids actively search for people to dob into the server admins.

Don't you think that it'd be just too much of a coincidence that he just somehow gets his internet "cut off" just as he gets downed by a player (who he was quite clearly shooting fine with no sense of lag looking at the video).

Obviously being a weasel to every given player who does something can be considered bad play but come on look at the situation, the guy is a bandit and it's alright for him to go round killing innocents and nicking stuff but he dc's so the same can't happen to him???

I mean I'm a bandit player myself and if I get killed by a survivor good for him! I just have to start all over again no tears shed, that's the risk of playing this game... Something this guy clearly doesn't understand.

This should probably be explained to new players some how, because I know the first time I got shot I rage quit right away and when I came back to the game several hours later my character was still alive, this was in no way my intention I just didnt realize it would happen.

There should be some kind server script or w/e it's called that makes it so whenever a player is damaged, they are unable to D/C, or when they try to DC. it drops all of their loot on the floor instantly lol..

This has happened twice to me last night... And it's really lame and completely pathetic..

People need some balls.

Banning users for breaking rules feels a bit unfair considering the rules aren't found in game and not all users are members of this forum.

I know its harsh' date=' but something about quick-exits to avoid death kinda sums up the kind of people that disgust me in real life....the "do the deed and try to avoid the consequence" kind of people. Liars and cheaters pretty much.

[/quote']

I absolutely understand your perspective, and i can't defend those people myself. I just had to point out that some people may not know that they are doing a bannable offense; so it's kind of hazy to go banning them for it. Perhaps there should be a way to send some kind of warning message to these players if they are caught doing it? And then on any further attempts to do so, a ban?

It is most certainly against the rules.

Back when I use to play RuneScape' date=' players use to do this very frequently when their HP was low and were afraid of losing their items. BUT, even if they closed their internet browser, the game sensed that they were still in a battle and didn't logout their account. Instead, the account went into idol mode and let the other player finish attacking. Only after 15 seconds of not engaging in battle would their account automatically logout successfully (and by that point, they would've been dead already).

DayZ should adapt a similar system.

[hr']

Also..... If this is against the rules, then is it also against the rules to log-out and avoid death when a herd of zombies are chasing you down and you have literally no possible way of defending yourself?

DayZ should have a 2 minute "anti logout" timer, IMO. Character stays in game even if the player has dc'ed.

One time I got killed at some army base and I pressed the normal butons to respawn in the game. But for some reason, instead of respawning on the beach with zero gear I respawned in my body with broken bones and all my inventory. So, I crawled futher in the camp only to get kille again and finaly respawn as intented.

For the other player, my corpse must have disapeared. Because I had everything still on me, yet, on my screen I was dead and had to respawn, and thats what I meant to do. Yet, it happenned.

So yeah, its one of the major things that need great fixing, imo.

I think once you get that icon that illustrates you were hurt by a player and will suffer penalties when you disconnect should just be rechanged too; you can't logout for 3mins after being shot by a player.

Then yes there should be at least a 30 second lingering timer where the player is still there after disconnecting.

It is most certainly against the rules.

Where, exactly? Easy way to fix it is remove the auto-save upon disconnection.

Lol you people.

The idea of your body staying ingame for 1 or 2 minutes after disconnecting is perfectly fine, its a great idea and would solve a lot of problem. People would log out in safe area and cheater wouldn't be able to escape death.

About the other idea, Alex, you can't keep someone from login out if he really want to. Electricity cut off, shut the computer down, router switch, internet shut down, ALT+F4 are all different ways to escape a game without having to go through the interface.

^ you don't seem to understand, the server can still save your stuff and keep your character there, AFTER you have disconnected.

are you understanding this concept?

Ok people here's what you do. Follow what some Counter Strike servers do. When you enter the game some servers will have a pop up message that lists the rules. Put at the top read before playing. Then they can't claim ignorance

As it is right now, unless you have 100% concrete evidence someone is DCing on purpose and are 100% sure they knew the rules, then the whole thing is a pile of shite.

If I don't know the rules it wouldn't be fair to ban me outright, give me a warning and if I do it again, fine. Then it goes back to 100% evidence. E.G how do you know their internet didn't go down, or their power or something else.

You can say. 'Well look at the situation. I was shooting at him and he DCed.' That doesn't mean it's accurate. Unless he's your neighbor and you know there was no power outage and his internet didn't go down, then you don't know it wasn't some freak accident that happened at a time that benefited him amazingly.

Plus the whole if they DC keep their character there is crap. If my internet takes a dump, or my power goes out, I would be mighty pissed if I go back to find I died because of that incident.

I would say a twenty second logout clock after you either fire your weapon or take damage would work.

Well that's my two cents anyways.

This was suggested in the suggested area, but I'd like to reiterate.

A player (tkgwheeler) had the idea to have a "bedroll logout." Essentially, you have to spend fifteen seconds laying out a bedroll in order to log out. Failing to do so will leave you suspended in the server for one minute unprotected.

I think this idea is really nice. It's got a really neat, naturalistic feel to it, and the animation wouldn't be hard to nick from the "making fire" one. You should also only be able to log out in the places where you're able to make a fire. It would stop server scrolling for loot through the back room of NWAF barracks, or people sealing off a building with barbed wire only to have someone server scroll into the top floor and circumvent their defences.

Thus far, tkgwheeler's idea has been the most elegant and in keeping with the game feel.

^ you don't seem to understand' date=' the server can still save your stuff and keep your character there, AFTER you have disconnected.

are you understanding this concept?

[/quote']

What about you read my post before posting. That will help you post something without looking like a complete idiot.

Did not even think if this! THANK YOU :D

but yea I've never even thought of this and I think this is lame! but this can only be fixed if you have a MMO logout timer like World of Warcraft!

Some of you people seem very ban happy.

This happened to me yesterday: Sitting up in a deer stand shuffling thru my pack sorting loot, when shots came hurtling in, got hit at least once before hitting the deck, I see a banditard in the forest running across in the distance, not much chance of hitting him with shock and broken bones, wait a few moments before I'm hit from much closer range and I go 'unconscious' and shortly after a `survivor` comes up the ladder whilst I'm waiting hopefully to revive, note there was no bleeding at all, health isn't dropping, nothing just locked like that with the `survivor` locked on the ladder too, so I log out.

See, that could happen to anyone with this instability, one of those guys could have been recording and to you, (the moral majority, hah!) I would've been ban hammered.

Also yesterday my machine shut down seconds after I'd quit out of the game, no apparent reason, what if I was still playing just that little longer and had been in a firefight right at that time? BAN HIM!

Really important topic! I think the bedroll idea could really work within this game. It could even be expanded to include the tents already within the game although i doubt it would be necessary.

Anyone got any knowledge of how plausible this is within arma? Any other issues/considerations that would get in the way?

There is nothing in that video that I am seeing that proves it was lockandload that you killed only that someone named loackandload d/c'd

Just put a logout timer on. IE: Takes 30 seconds to fully log out. This was solved years ago! Im sure it will be added later, its alpha after all.