Sign in to follow this  
Lt Kidd

First step towards DayZ's group setup.

Hey all,

I remember reading a while ago that rocket is looking at putting armbands into DayZ to help group players together and identify friend from foe.

I've got an easy first step for this to be effective and it wont take alot of coding at all.

As I'm sure some of you will be aware that Arma 2 supports clans with something called a Squad XML, basically this is a third party server which a clan can list all of its players on, give them a squad tag aswell as a logo, said logo shows up on the default USMC and Russian forces sleeves and several vehicles ingame in Arma 2 and CO.

I'm simply suggesting that Rocket adds this squad XML layer onto all of the ingame skins, that way clans which have set up their squad XML's correctly will be able to see their logos on their characters sleeves.

Thoughts gents?

just an armband could be ok. nothing more, authenticity is the key, unless they have one of those high tech gadgets that the us is cooking up to prevent friendly fire but those wont be implemented

also, visual cues like flag manufacturing could be interesting, a tag created to paint in walls too could be ok.

Edited by indominator

Im kind of torn on the whole arm band/friend-foe identification idea. I think a major part of the game is that 'oh shit is that you' moment. I think most of us who play within groups can honestly say we've come very close to killing a friendly on accident.

They could allow custom faces, i remember when i played OFP ( not Dragon Rising ) that some players used their own faces as in game face.

Yeah, I've made a custom face, but most servers have a maximum custom file size set to 0KB <_<

I would rather have faces implemented than armbands/flags. It would allow people the chance to recognise others, and can be used by everyone.

A clan armband isn't much use to a lonewolf medic, for example, but you might remember his face.

I imagine the armband idea would tend to gravitate gameplay towards KoSing anyone without the same armbands as you. Something I am totally against.

When DayZ becomes clear-cut red vs. blue, it's ruined.

EDIT:

A small custom .jpg or .png for each player could be used as a "spraypaint-tag", and could be used for clans, but could also be as simple as "Chabowski woz 'ere".

Like Zorro.

If there was only one allowed per player, per server, bigger clans could tag and (attempt to) claim bigger areas, and solo players could leave them a little message in their camp. ^_^

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1