logan23

Tried the No Gun and Limit Gear start option

Hey guys,

I saw a thread on removing the starting gun and I decided to give it a try.

I decided to remove all my gear, gun, and back pack except-

1- Can of Beans

1-Canteen

1- bandage

(Flares only at night test)

From the 4 -5 test plays with this I came to the conclusion:

Day time-

This was a lot of fun and found it to be a challenge but also everything i found meant so much more. It wasn't to hard since you just have to not Aggro the Zombies, as for other players- I haven't had any shoot me but that doesn't mean they won't.

I do believe if players start camping at spawn points then there needs to be a mist/fog that hangs around the coast just to give the new spawned players a few moments to plan their path.

Result- Day time with this limit of gear felt fine.

Night Time-

This was a good deal harder. Now some of this might be easier once the new patch is released due to the fix for zombie aggro through walls and you can run and hide from Zombies which you can't do presently.

I feel that not having a weapon and no eyes to see could push players to stay away from playing night time unless they already have gear. Flare are helpful but once a Zombie spots you- your basically dead. I don't know if hiding with the new patch will help with this issues since you still will be blind and Flares seem to attract Zombies, or feels like it.

Fix- I know there is a flashlight and I was wondering is there a way to script the flashlight to have a limit battery like a flare has a time set before it goes out. If this could be done then a flashlight could be given at spawn with about 5-10 mins of usage. Players will use flares for large areas but for searching towns for items a flashlight would help and giving it a limit time would mean you have to use it wisely. This could be a different item then present flashlight in game since this could be a damaged one due to the water when you washed up to shore in the game.

Result- Night time can be fun but players will need something to help them if there is no gun at start.

I know some players talk about low gear with a gun and no spare clips. This would be a good option if the no gun at spawn does not work.

This was an experiment on this topic /idea.

I will note that for day time I will be dropping all my gear except the 1- Can of Beans, 1-Canteen, 1- bandage from now one. It might get me killed but the experience of surviving starting like this is amazing. You truly feel like a survivor.

You know what? If indeed the gamma and brightness restriction fix in the new beta patch makes the game more pleasant on eyes (in the day time, night time was just unplayable even with flares) enough so that I can play longer then 2mins...I will do this as well. I guess I don't need rocket to make it so. All I did on re-spawn any way was play the running man and kite Z's to a place I could enter and pick them off one by one. This will stop me from doing that. I believe I will, as you have, find it more enjoyable.

I like the flashlight idea as well. Good stuff.

Cheers.

Personally I like the idea of no gun, one food, one water, and one pack of flares, like you are the one guy who survived the boat sinking off the coast and managed to get your hands on the emergency supplies.

I'll have to try this myself. I'm to chicken to play at night but I think I may do it anyway.

Hey guys' date='

1- Can of Beans

1-Canteen

1- bandage

(Flares only at night test)[/quote']

Proving my point that anyone who wants to use this method of game play are free to do so without forcing it on everyone.

So, it would be okay to have a functional Huey spawn next to everyone? They could choose not to use it.

Thanks guys!

I would say for players who just lost their character due to Death, Try this out and see how it feels emotionally and post what you like or didn't like.

Tell us if you dead due to Zeds or Bandits or starving.

How long did you survive?

Did players shot you or did you feel they might have not wasted that bullet since you had no back pack or gun?

How did you feel when you got a back pack? gun? gear?

As for those who have mention 1 clip (from other threads) in gun and no to few gear, give that a try to and see how it also feels when you play.

DayZ is an experiment and the best way to test ideas out is to try them out.

I really like this idea, and will be trying it next death. I like the extra step of dropping your backpack.

Meeting people on the beach will be different if things were this way. I am all for making the game harder.

So' date=' it would be okay to have a functional Huey spawn next to everyone? They could choose not to use it.

[/quote']

Non sequitur.

Don't forget that in the next patch the you will be able to hide from zombies that are chasing you. This would make unarmed travel very different.

Good job on testing this i will definitely try this next time i'm killed should be tense until you find that first gun.

Don't forget that in the next patch the you will be able to hide from zombies that are chasing you. This would make unarmed travel very different.

I look forward to playing hide-and -go seek with the Zeds lol

=)

Kudos to you, mate. You're braver than me!

Yeah wait till its implemented properly because the zombie mechanics are going to be drastically different. Its a test of sorts now, but its not a real test yet.

I think this is going to be good.

My other test im doing is being exclusively friendly and seeing the results.

Died 7/10 tries. but my latest try have met 4 / 4 friendly people in balotta and cherno. good start :)

So' date=' it would be okay to have a functional Huey spawn next to everyone? They could choose not to use it.

[/quote']

Non sequitur.

How so?

His test was to see if altering starting gear could enhance the DayZ experience. And, he seems to think it does (more or less). You said that since he has the choice of not using certain starting gear, the starting gear should not be changed for everyone. By your argument, as long as players have choice as to whether or not they use certain starting gear, the starting gear should not be changed for everyone. You want your Makarov. I want a Huey. If a Huey was part of the starting gear, everyone could choose if they wanted to use it or not--just like the Makarov. Using your logic, what is the difference?

It is a question of how player will react to a change as having no gun and limited gear is something you can't foresee. You would have to test it and get feed back from players.

I can see this being tested in a separate Hardcore Patch where players can play and give feedback and certain servers would use this patch while others kept the original one before it.

But I feel there needs to be a few more mechanics in before this is even tested.

A less gear and gun with no extra clips is more likely first.

Haha!!! Another believer and even better a doer! I'm glad you liked it. It's exhilarating right?

I removed everything except the medical supplies, a can of beans and 10 flares.

Met a friendly who killed some zeds for me. Got shot by a guy with a Winchester later.

Lots of fun, though for the most excitement I recommend not ever taking a Makarov or starting pack, since they wouldn't exist.

What I learned is first find a weapon before you meet up with any armed players unless you already know them. You can team up with other un armed players but becareful once you come across a gun hopefully there are two :)

I always feel that droping my bag and having just bandage,canteen, and I can of beans (you could carry less even) sends a message hey you could kill me but you wasted a few round and gave nothing really. No backpack= you even have less of a chance of getting anything from my body.

Hey guys' date='

1- Can of Beans

1-Canteen

1- bandage

(Flares only at night test)[/quote']

Proving my point that anyone who wants to use this method of game play are free to do so without forcing it on everyone.

Exactly, if you want to hardcore be hardcore. Don't make those who enjoy the game for what it is.

Yeah, the first time I did it, and I'm not the first, it was an experiment to see how ruthless the death matching had become. Like, is these guys really going to shoot me if I don't even have a gun?

Never really came across any, but I feel like it adds to the game, so ... there you go.

"Exactly, if you want to hardcore be hardcore. Don't make those who enjoy the game for what it is."

This just seems un-constructive. The game isn't completed so it isn't anything quite yet. Also, go try it first before judging it. You may find you like it. If not come back and report exactly what you didn't like, then we can determine if it should or should not be.

One little thing I've noticed is that DayZ is a lot like minecraft in that if you're not ready for nightfall, it will kill you unless you dig a hole and hide. So basically, daytime is for preparing.

Actually Rocket mention this in another thread

-Early survival - Going further-

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11486&pid=106987#pid106987

"I want to give people a torch, but you need a backpack to put the torch away currently. So I think people need a backpack to start. "

So if we had a torch then we could test the no gun and limited supplies in a more structured way.

But this is something that I'm assuming would be in the future. But would be interesting.