Sign in to follow this  
Grabarz (DayZ)

Standalone Donts

It's supposedly just a couple of weeks until the first release of the standalone (alpha/beta/final/whatever) and giving that short timespan, I feel the urgency to put my mind at ease regarding things that would spoil the game for me.

In as much as I really appreciate the way the dev team lets the community contribute with their ideas and concerns, I myself am concerned about the things that aren't said.

So far we only got clues about what the standalone could be like and perhaps this thread can inspire the dev team to shed some light on their take with regards to what is going to change, compared to the alpha. IMHO there should be polls regarding critical changes. I hope the changes will mostly concern the glitchy melee interactions and overall stability and security issues.

And would be great if everyone could contribute Top 5 of things you totally oppose. Here are mine:

1. In game Auction House (!!!)

2. Colourful arcade like on-screen guides and whistles (it is perfect as is imho)

3. Super Zombies (e.g. something like the mutants in Left For Dead)

4. Special skills

5. Quests

The simple survival aspect is what I love most about the game and hopefully it will basically stay the way it is.

Edited by Grabarz

There is a similar thread around here (buried somewhere) probably but I do agree, especially with super duper zombies. I think the zombies should actually be the way they have them now (tweaked obv) as their starting state to dying completely with several states in between.

Don't worry none of those will be in the game, perhaps player set quests in the form of bounty contracts things like that but we already have that in place on the forum, maybe it will be easier to do so within the game like a bulletin board where players will leave a piece of paper with someone's name on (not sure how it would work but it's a possibility) but there won't be any NPC's and quests saying kill 5 infected and gain 200xp etc.

• Like 4

As LVG said I think the bounty contracts would be quite a good idea.

I do agree with no Auction House etc.

Can't wait for the Stand alone!

Onto less ridiculous issues:

6. ability to forcefully capture/enslave a player: you believe it or not, as much realistic and "fun" it might be for you, this is not a good idea, please stop suggesting prisons, incapacitating ammo, ropes, handcuffs and suchlike, the only thing you'll accomplish is people disconnecting, or simply going suicidal against you, since death is not permanent in the game, and thus nobody will fight for their lives.

7. Removal of all military equipment: unlike what you think, the AS50 is actually rare, simply because you always find one on a dead sniper body doesn't mean everyone has one. If you paid ANY attention at all on the graphics detail on DayZ chernarus, you'd see humvees, tanks and all kinds of military equipment(albeit destroyed) scattered all around the country, the unrealistic aspect is that you can't find a freaking operational tank or humvee considering the overwhelmingly massive amounts of charred armored vehicles on towns and suchlike.

8. Zombies chasing you FOREVER: it's already pretty unrealistic that you fight against hordes of Usain Bolts, but them never ever ever losing their attention span is simply unacceptable, coupled with the fact that in standalone players will actually have fatigue and will be unable to run forever, this makes it a top DON'T on the list of changes for the standalone.

Edited by Pie Flavor
  • Like 1

All I want is a lower blood level for Zombies to knock you unconscious and remove the possibility for zombies to break your leg after punching you in the face.

8. Zombies chasing you FOREVER: it's already pretty unrealistic that you fight against hordes of Usain Bolts, but them never ever ever losing their attention span is simply unacceptable, coupled with the fact that in standalone players will actually have fatigue and will be unable to run forever, this makes it a top DON'T on the list of changes for the standalone.

Ha ha Usain Bolts! Very true the zombies running animation and speed are ridiculous. They're easy to lose if you know how to, before that early patch you literally had to shoot them all.