DireMickey

CD release

I think you should make the standalone be released on CD (if it is possible) so people who have a lower bandwith of internet mb usage per month can get the game.

- Just a thought to open the game up to a wider variety of people.

Edited by DireMickey
  • Like 1

TBH I think it'll be download only. Even if you bought the CD you'd have to download the updates as they're released.

• Like 1

TBH I think it'll be download only. Even if you bought the CD you'd have to download the updates as they're released.

that is true but the full download will be about 9gb's and i only have 20gb's a month and my sister and dad use it.

Maybe it's time to upgrade your Internet package if what you have currently isn't enough then? That or download it at a friend's house? And I don't think it'll be 9Gb, I think ARMA II: CO is about 8Gb and most of that isn't used for DayZ.

With distribution comes additional costs. There is a reason digital releases can be cheaper. :)

I think you should make the standalone be released on CD (if it is possible) so people who have a lower bandwith of internet mb usage per month can get the game.

And if a big patch is released?

Maybe it's time to upgrade your Internet package if what you have currently isn't enough then? That or download it at a friend's house? And I don't think it'll be 9Gb, I think ARMA II: CO is about 8Gb and most of that isn't used for DayZ.

I can't upgrade my internet bandwidth becuase i live on a farm and the most we can get is 20 gb and that costs us 80 dollars each month :( sucks aye

I know the feeling, I used to have some crappy package where I got on and off peak. Up until 12 noon I had 13GB, then until midnight I had 7GB. This reset monthly ofc but was still annoying as hell. Especially when trying to purchase games on Steam, 1 "good" game would use up my entire usage for a month. A while ago I upgraded the package and now I have 50GB a month. Not great, but certainly an improvement from what I had. Especially the lack of on and off peak.

I know the feeling, I used to have some crappy package where I got on and off peak. Up until 12 noon I had 13GB, then until midnight I had 7GB. This reset monthly ofc but was still annoying as hell. Especially when trying to purchase games on Steam, 1 "good" game would use up my entire usage for a month. A while ago I upgraded the package and now I have 50GB a month. Not great, but certainly an improvement from what I had. Especially the lack of on and off peak.

tis very very anoying

Actually a good idea in my opinion and i would not mind to pay more money because then i can purchase the game without have use something like paypal.

I don't like to have one big company handle my money and know what i'm doing with it.

And even though my internet connection is good and i have a flatrate, i hate to have to download everything in these days.

• Like 1

Actually a good idea in my opinion and i would not mind to pay more money because then i can purchase the game without have use something like paypal.

I don't like to have one big company handle my money and know what i'm doing with it.

And even though my internet connection is good and i have a flatrate, i hate to have to download everything in these days.

Great! You can pay for the production, packaging design and distribution then.

• Like 1

Great! You can pay for the production, packaging design and distribution then.

I said i would pay more money to purchase the game on CD and i think so would other.

So if there are enough people interested to purchase the CD in a retail version, it could be possible that they think about it...is it not?

Remember this is the suggestion section of the the forum, so no reason to be rude here ;)

No, I don't think there would be enough demand for CD copies for it to be worthwhile. Not by a long shot.

The majority of players will likely gain access to the standalone game via Steam or direct download.

As far as I understand, there's nothing stopping you from downloading the game onto an external hard-drive at a friends house and simply completing activation with your unique DayZ serial number.

Failing that, there is likely a kind soul out there who could copy the game files to a disc and post them to you, if it's really impossible to otherwise get the game.

Maybe ask Rocket nice, and send him a self-addressed envelope. Postage paid. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The majority of players will likely gain access to the standalone game via Steam or direct download.

As far as I understand, there's nothing stopping you from downloading the game onto an external hard-drive at a friends house and simply completing activation with your unique DayZ serial number.

Failing that, there is likely a kind soul out there who could copy the game files to a disc and post them to you, if it's really impossible to otherwise get the game.

Maybe ask Rocket nice, and send him a self-addressed envelope. Postage paid. :thumbsup:

wait. (im kinda new to comuters soz) so when you download it onto an external hard drive do you then just copy the game onto you computer? if so can you not just copy the game onto other peoples computers and give them the game for free?

Every serial key is unique, and required to activate your installation.

You get a serial key when you order a game through steam, or from Bohemia Interactive (either via the Steam browser, or by email) so you could buy the game, get your serial key, copy the game files from someone elses computer and enter your own personal activation key to play it.

You could not give someone the game to play for free because players have a GUID to identify them online, linked with their individual purchase of the game, and their unique serial number in the registry. (which is how Battleye can globally ban people)

It would just be a way to get DayZ to work without having to eat up your limited bandwidth on a large download.

EDIT: I'm sure someone else would be able to explain it better than I can.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

Every serial key is unique, and required to activate your installation.

You get a serial key when you order a game through steam, or from Bohemia Interactive (either via the Steam browser, or by email) so you could buy the game, get your serial key, copy the game files from someone elses computer and enter your own personal activation key to play it.

You could not give someone the game to play for free because players have a GUID to identify them online, linked with their individual purchase of the game, and their unique serial number in the registry. (which is how Battleye can globally ban people)

It would just be a way to get DayZ to work without having to eat up your limited bandwidth on a large download.

EDIT: I'm sure someone else would be able to explain it better than I can.

i get it now thankyou :)

I'd buy it on disk if it was a limited edition. Bit of background, concept art, blah blah blah. Fuck yeah id buy it on disk! I have registered disk games I bought non steam, when the disk broke I still had it online. There would be many who would, given the choice, buy a hard copy! I'd frame mine!

I don't worry bout caps on my net, I suppose I have more net speed than I need tbh, but when there's 4 of you using it at once then it pays for itself. What pisses me off is when I'm online playing and one of my inconsiderate ones decides to download an entire series of ???? Slowing me down.

• Like 3

hi,

I also was wondering too if the stand alone will release on disk.

I'd buy on disk too just because I'm an old fart and I like to have hard copy.

cya.

Nikiller.

Yes I would also buy it on Disc and pay slightly more in price, I'm old i love to hold the products I purchase LMAO :)

I expect if there is a collectors edition it would be on disc, that probably wouldn't be out until after the alpha/beta is over and the game gets a retail release though.

A: Alpha will be heavily discounted paid project. The project will never be a full retail priced title, and the alpha will be heavily discounted. No prepurchase. But there will be a premium type purchase that contains some extra collectors edition type stuff like concept art prints etc... for those who want to throw money at the project
Edited by smasht_AU

Consider 2 purchases then, One for alpha and one after the release on disk. When rocket has his yellow lambo and more DC things. I don't mind contributing to him for the continued fun I am having.

Keep it real!