Voiska

Processors

EDIT: forgot to say that CPU clock speed is more important than type/number of cores' date=' hence my old CPU, but fast clock speed, cpu copes better than newer, lower clocked cpus.

[/quote']

No - a newer processor at a lower clock speed will outperform an older processor at a higher clock speed. You cannot compare generations/platforms directly by just looking at their clock speed numbers. :dodgy:

But my older Dual-Core E5800 3.2GHZ outperforms my newer Core 2 Duo E7200 2.6GHz, so how do you account for that? (I sold the E7300 as I was so disappointed, so much for upgrade!)

I have a i7 @ 4ghz and a amd 1100T @ 4ghz both systems run a 5870 2 gb card and cant play on max. When i run xfire it makes me bsod cuz no1 works on drivers for this game. if u are trying to run this game on a dual core and wonder why you lag you are dumb. this game can use a 4x core and anything less then a 4x core would be laggy in all games today.

But my older Dual-Core E5800 3.2GHZ outperforms my newer Core 2 Duo E7200 2.6GHz' date=' so how do you account for that? (I sold the E7300 as I was so disappointed, so much for upgrade!)

[/quote']

Because they are the same generation of processor. So the math is actually somewhat comparable. This is why we have benchmarks to show "true" performance.

I have a i7 @ 4ghz and a amd 1100T @ 4ghz both systems run a 5870 2 gb card and cant play on max. When i run xfire it makes me bsod cuz no1 works on drivers for this game. if u are trying to run this game on a dual core and wonder why you lag you are dumb. this game can use a 4x core and anything less then a 4x core would be laggy in all games today.

Please for the love of all that is IT holy, don't talk about things you clearly have no knowledge of. You don't see me discussing cubism or the finer points of pottery either...

You guys are confusing the hell out of me. Is it worth paying £100 more for an amd quad core 3.6? or should i stick with amd duel core 3.0? I'm not a massive pc gamer, I just want to play this!

taken from the beta exe - -cpuCount=2

Does this not utilise a dual core cpu?

what about arma 3 - anyone know if this will utilise quad core?

Yes - these days you might as well go with a quad core since it is pretty much the standard when talking processors for gaming and high end applications.

You guys are confusing the hell out of me. Is it worth paying £100 more for an amd quad core 3.6? or should i stick with amd duel core 3.0? I'm not a massive pc gamer' date=' I just want to play this!

[/quote']

I'm going to assume by quad core 3.6 you mean the FX-4100, which while advertised as quad core, is NOT A TRUE QUAD CORE. It only has two floating point units as opposed to four on a normal quad core.

Got a website you use for parts and a budget?

no offence but I really don't whether it's 'true' quad core or whatever lol as I have stated many times. 'I just want to play this game'

if you post your budget, people might be able to help you out a bit more..

it was £200, I had to rinse myself dry to afford this new one for £329. thats the one with 8GB ram and 3.6GHz amd quad

no offence but I really don't whether it's 'true' quad core or whatever lol as I have stated many times. 'I just want to play this game'

You just basically said: "I don't care about the performance I pay for".

Also, you aren't being specific enough. There is a reason these CPU's have a detailed nomenclature.

Let's try this... do you have a link to the PC?

I didn't say I don't care about the performance, I Don't care about the specifics. I want the comp to run this game and that's it. so whether its single, dual or quad it doesn't really matter to me because i'm not going to be playing things like GTA5 that will require it. As for the link here it is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261042821369?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2844wt_1044

I didn't say I don't care about the performance' date=' I Don't care about the specifics. I want the comp to run this game and that's it. so whether its single, dual or quad it doesn't really matter to me because i'm not going to be playing things like GTA5 that will require it. As for the link here it is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261042821369?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2844wt_1044

[/quote']

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes...but that graphics (ATI HD 6570) card is poor and let's the whole PC down badly.

This one is better and cheaper (£325), it has an ATi HD 6670: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-MB-AMD-QUAD-CORE-GAMING-PC-COMPUTER-1TB-HDD-8GB-MEM-ATI-HD-6670-1GB-GRAPHICS-/261042538748?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item3cc75908fc

However, if you can afford an extra £25, I'd suggest this one as it has a Nvidia GTX 550 graphics card:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-MB-AMD-QUAD-CORE-GAMING-PC-COMPUTER-500GB-4GB-MEM-NVIDIA-GTX-550-TI-1GB-GFX-/390429585989?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item5ae76ab245

It has less RAM and smaller hard disk but the graphics card more than makes up for it. Don't forget these don't include Windows. Hope this helps.

You guys are confusing the hell out of me. Is it worth paying £100 more for an amd quad core 3.6? or should i stick with amd duel core 3.0? I'm not a massive pc gamer' date=' I just want to play this!

[/quote']

DO NOT BUY A PRE-BUILT, that amd fx 4100 with amd 6570 is HORRIBLE.

Go to a site like Newegg or partpicker and select these parts

Cpu: i3 2120

Gpu:amd 6850

Motherboard: take a 75-100€ mobo, has to have 1155 socket.

Hdd: 500 gb seagate hdd is a good buy

Rest of the parts are own prefrence but dont forget things like windows, case fans, etc

MAKE SURE THE PSU IS 80+ certified, and that it supplies enough watts + about 50-100 watts extra.

This will max arma out for 600-650€, that prebuilt you posted will run on low medium with stutter and wont be able to play arma 3 wich will release soon. Those parts I posted will probally run arma 3 on med-high

And about your "I just want to play the game" thing, are you retarded? Why would any sane person that is low on money buy something that you can build yourself for 200€ cheaper, or build something way better for the same price. Your excuse makes no sense, right now you are at the same level of ignorance as people that think apple computers are good (apple sure has their scam all figured out, overpricing assholes)

Dear Soeg. Stop calling people retards - he honestly don't know any better, which is why we are here to help him out.

The "Don't build prebuilt" argument is a valid one - to some extend. I'd never suggest people to buy a "branded" prebuilt machine (dell, hp, asus, etc..), however most IT webshops these days offer prebuilt machines that are pretty much on par with what you'd end up with yourself - also budget pays a big role.

You can't expect everyone to be able to hand out a grand (dollars) on a machine that will last for a few years with very decent performance.

Cheers mansen for sticking up for me there. The was no need for a dickish comment like that. Also once again SOEG your dropping the excuse for buying an insanely priced computer because ARMAIII is coming out... I'm getting fed up of saying it now but I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ARMAIII!!! I had never even heard of ARMA until this mod. When I get my comp I'll want it to be able to run this, Operation Flashpoint (Original), Medievil Total War II, Sims 2, Minecraft and other old games. I'm a console gamer purely because of the amount of hassle it takes to get a computer to run current gen games. Skint I'm going with your advice, you reckon 4 GIG of RAM will be fine? If so I shall go with the Nvidia you pointed out. Thanks :)

i5-3570k runs perfectly

Yeah it would... It's one of the best price to performance processors for gaming on the market right now - taking over from the 2500K, which is still quite a workhouse.

So how many cores can arma 2 (and later 3) support.

Should I change the cpucount parameter to match my 4 cpus?

ARMA2 isn't really multicore optimised - so a dual "can" work, but games and operating systems are moving towards quad core as a standard within the year. Windows 8 will certainly help in that regard.

Voiska, sorry for the rude comment, But just take a second to read this.

By building yourself you save a lot of money and get better performance, I made a build for you to check out on partpicker so you can compare:

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/aeVV

These parts are 40 pounds over your budget but this will perform WAY better. With the prebuilt you posted I think you will get about 10-20fps on medium, with the build I posted you will be able to play high/max at 30-40 fps.

That prebuilt also comes without windows, so you would actually pay 390 pounds.

Here is a 340 pound build with windows:

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/aeX0

Ill explain why its better then the ebay prebuilt:

Proccesor performs better and has a very good on chip gpu that will nearly match a 6670.

The psu is reliable (cheap prebuilts usually come with cheap psu's that can fry all your components)

The HDD is at 7200 rpm wich is very important.

It is cheaper (50 pounds)

Things that might confuse you:

The diffrence between 4gb and 8gb ram in gaming is very minimal, nearly all games use less then 4gb ram.

Clock speed (ghz) does not equal performance when comparing parts, and amount of cores does not equal performance either.

An i3 2120 wich has 2 cores at 3.1 ghz will completely outperform the amd fx-8150 wich has 8 cores, no matter how high you OC it.

I would not recommend ordering the cheap build I posted because very soon a new generation off those so called APU's (processor) will come out wich will outperform the old gen at the same price. The more expensive build is a good choice if you manage to get some extra money, just add windows 64 bit to the list and do some extra research on what case you want and if the ram is supported by the mobo (very important)

First SOEG thanks for going through all that just to show me the difference. Two with this pc art picker can I buy the parts bit by bit or does it order the whole bunch at once? If so I get payed weekly so this would be a much better option for me :)

Ah don't worry I figured it out. I am now selling one of my guitars for £400 so hopefully it goes and I have a nice lump sum to spend on this i3 based tower :)

i3's are crap for desktops (crap in general - especially if your buying this rig for gaming ...)

get an i5 2500k or 3570k ~ £ 150 +

and an Z68/Z77 board depending on what generation of processor you decide (sandy/ivybridge) ~ £ 80 for low end one, but should suit you fine.

8GB of DDR3 ram is ~ £40, dunno anyone these days who has less then 8.

half decent case + psu ~ £120 ish for both

an HD6850 ~ £90

+ add £20/30 for any other bits (aftermarket cpu cooler,thermal paste, extra fans etc)

~£500 total

depending on your resolution you play at, that should see you fine for 30+ fps on med/high settings + give you plenty of headroom to upgrade