AMF3

Not how I wanted my first player contact to go....

Had my first player run-in finally. I had seen someone getting chased by zombies heading into a town, went to try and track him to see if I could help. Saw a name pop up saying player killed about halfway there so I figured maybe I could loot the body. Went into a house looking for food and heard pistol fire so I tucked in behind an open door and tried to sit tight hoping it'd pass. Next thing I know someone comes blazing through the door with a skin I didn't recognize, it was a bandit. I thought they did away with that. He was holding a revolver and had an ak on his back. I'd finally gotten a weapon and some food and water, with that skin I couldn't take a risk. He went into the next room infront of the door way, I was gonna see if I could sneak out but he turned around. Went to pick something up and with one quick headshot from my Enfield I had some much needed gear. I'm not sure if I feel bad. If he's rocking that skin I don't think he was a boyscout. Not how I wanted my first player interaction to go, I don't know if he even saw me after I blasted him. Not something I'm planning on making a habit. Haven't figured out how to work chat with my headset and I wasn't gonna be his next victim. Sorry DayZ community.

Funny thing was after I popped him I heard him talking and he had an English accent. That made me feel worse because the Brits on here have been the coolest so far haha. Sorry guys.

• Like 1

No need to apologize for killing a bandit, there's no way to know wether he was a friendly bandit or a hostile one.

Unless he used voice communication and said "friendly", but even then he might've just wanted to take your stuff.

Just be careful if you kill people without a bandit skin by accident or on purpose, because you'll get a bandit skin then and end up getting shot by everyone on sight, cause they'll know you're a killer then.

Use < and > to switch radio channels for communications. Direct channel is what you use to type and speak to people near you.

Just be careful if you kill people without a bandit skin by accident or on purpose, because you'll get a bandit skin then and end up getting shot by everyone on sight, cause they'll know you're a killer then.

I was under the impression that shooting a bandit-skinned player resulted in zero humanity loss?

Edited by klesh

Klesh, what does <and> mean?

AMF, it's a sad fact that bandits could be dangerous or unlucky people who had to defend themselves and sometimes it's hard to know what to do. You do the best you can.

Are you still able to see your stats? I've seen screen shots where it showed bandit kills, murders, etc but I dove right into the play and am just kinda learning buttons as I go.

You can, it's the debug screen. It's under the options menu but right now many people are having problems with it disabling their HUD. Aka water required, sound and sight made, don't update.

Mine was with a bush :P I'm looking in my pack, close it look up and some bush is pointing a gun at my head, and i'm like :huh: i told it I was unarmed, new and it was my second life playing, then it walked away leaving me unharmed :D

Klesh, what does <and> mean?

I mean the < and > keys on the keyboard. Im on my phone right now but i think its the . and , keys.

my first interaction went nearly no where near as well. my first time playing I saw a fire-station, started running towards it and was shot down down before I even got within 100 meters (or metres for US) of it. I was completely unarmed except for a flash light and the only thing worth looting was a bandage! stuff like that pisses me off about PVP, people get shot before they even get their first weapon ever!

My first player interaction, I killed the guy--but only after he declined to respond to my two warnings to identify friend or foe, and he tried to set up what looked like an ambush for me around a corner, so, bang. Hey, that's how I got my first pistol and compass. May seem a bit harsh, but he had more than enough opportunity to say "friendly" or something. Also, after playing for a while, it can get really hard not to become jaded, when most players are selfish jerks. (Kind of like R.L., I guess, except I've never seen someone teleport I.R.L.)

Edited by A. Darkthorn

My first encounter was at the Northwest Airfield. I had just gotten done checking the firestation for loot, and I heard gunshots and saw zombies dying outside. I watched and waited for 5 minutes and saw no player activity, so I went over to the tower and climbed in. I was on edge, but when I started going down the stairs I saw a guy (survivor skin) prone on the stairs with an M16 aimed at me. I completely freaked and unloaded a full Kobra mag into his face. I heard him shoot a few times, but he somehow missed me.

Yeah, many killings are in cold blood (just tonight someone shot me in the head as I was fiddling with my inventory, in perfect darkness), but a lot of them are due purely to tension. To this day, I don't know if the player I shot (the only player I've shot) was hostile or not. And yesterday, I managed to have a peaceful encounter, but, man, was it tense! Although there was only the "Friendly?" question and some subsequent conversation, the fact that I was potentially a quarter-second away from being shot made it feel as though we were both screaming "Drop it! Get the [bleep] down!" I imagine he probably felt the same way, since I had my gun on him the whole time. Easy to see how misunderstandings can happen, amidst all of the deliberate killings.

Edited by A. Darkthorn

My first player contact came earlier tonight,. I was playing late last night and was forced to end my game in a building in cherno with full pack and enfield, So today i return to my game and it loads up and im still in the building (All good), so i come out of the corner and try to look down my sights to clear the room, it wont do it..i even try to FIRE, nothing!!(check controls and all are well) I can Zoom and move around etc,just no GUN action, even tho it was loaded and in my hands ready to go!!(only had 1 gun,no hatchet) so eventually i had to drop the gun, pick it up and reload (making all sorts of noise in process), just as ive reloaded i turn to make sure all is working (which it now was) i notice guy at the Door standing watching and as i see him, No MSG, just Blam, im dead..

Ye it was Damn frustrating as it was my longest survival to date and i feel if i wasnt distracted with some Gun problem it may have gone differently, not saying i would have taken him out, but maybe my irrational behaviour trying to fix a gun by moving around etc made him uneasy and so he just thought 'Kill him', or he panicked which is what i think happened,bcz i didnt even get to point the gun at him. I was soo busy trying to fix it who knows how long he was there watching me..I hope this weapon problem i had isnt something i will experience everytime i return to a game as that would totally piss me off..

But even still im loving DayZ... rrr sometimes!

I'm always in two minds whenever I see someone else. On the one hand I'd much prefer it if most PvP interactions were more friendly. But on the other hand I love the fact that player interactions are so tense and fraught. My current character is about as geared as I've ever been and when I suddenly crossed paths with a ghillie suited dude in the middle of the woods on Green Mountain last night I just about shat myself. Luckily he didn't see me so I watched him wander off through my scope, finger poised, and then headed off in the opposite direction.

-Second post ever on this forum-

I, AnotherHeist feel that my story is going to be a bit dull telling it but either way i found it was the tension that either got me shot, or being under the influence of what I was on at the time... I possibly just got annoying but here is my short but newbie experience on my first day of the apocalypse...

There I was fresh out of the first town I had scavenged from finding pretty much nothing but a handful of M9 magazines and a couple of cans of drink, Wading my way through the grass broad daylight as you do attempting to not be seen I happened to spot a building I hadn't entered before so my curiousity got the best of me and I decided that I'd check the last building, After two to three minutes of making my way to and into the house I was greeted with 'Freeze mother f--ker' So I lay dead still and called 'Friendly!' in return, He nodded accepted that I had no weapons and asked If i was new, I believe I started mubbling things back that weren't quite coheriant to him so he must of just ignored me, i being the Sheep I was at first beginnings decided that I should follow him but at a fairly safe distance, After a couple of laps around the town I was about to break off and do my own little thing, But then all of a sudden 'Bang, Bang' fairly close shots not sure what from but the person I was following instantly spun towards me and unleashed hell...

Since that day I have played like every player is Hostile and that even an Unarmed person is just dead weight Unless proven otherwise.

Today I've also died twice, Shot in the face point blank by some bastard with a decent shot... and once to a 'Sleight of Hand' [Hacker]

- AnotherHeist

First Class Idiot.

Edited by AnotherHeist

Really cool stories! And @ OP you did the right thing, if he was really a bandit. I also got a story for you...

It all began in a forest, after a while of walking around i found several barns, i think the location was between Msta and Tulga . I managed to get into these and found the jackpot: a crossbow and steel bolts!

I was so excited, now i could take down zombies quick and effective, so I walked into a second barn, saw a zombie in middle of the floor and took him down immediately, it was so epic :D

I found food and more supplies. Then i crawled behind the barn, wanted to took down another zombie but i didnt hit him and searched for the steel bolt, but i couldnt find it :(

After a while of searching i heard some noise, it was a car parking right beside me! I tried not to move and saw how 3 People jumped out scanning the barns, i knew they were Bandits...

But i thought i got lucky, they drove off but stopped after 10 metres! 1 guy jumped out again and somehow saw me prone in the grass, he looted my backpack (and the crossbow >:( ) and took me down with no mercy...

I decided (before i bought the game) that i will give everyone a chance and dont kill like a maniac, but this changed my mind, i will take down people who look like Bandits and give a chance to the friendly survivors.

:thumbsup:

One of my first contacts I crawled in to a fire station unarmed. A bandit comes down the stairs and says "what the f-uck are you doing in my fire station. I was also running from some zeds in there. He shot them, gave me a shot gun and said kick rocks. I said thanks and took off not looking back.

I've also had a few hero skins help me out. One guy gave me his stanag SD, he used his m9 SD and he got me supplied up. We came across an AS50. He asked if he could have the stanag back and I take the as50. I of course agreed since he helped me. We parted ways. I later got killed before firing a round out of the as50.

Played about a month now and it gets more enjoyable every game. Even been slaughtered by hackers, but I dont attached to the gear and the thrill is in the hunt.

I can't exactly remember my first player encounter, but I have had a few, some new spawns wanting to 'team up' etc but one of them, I had found my first sniper a CZ 550, i wanted to try it out, found it in the barns north of Elektro, prone on top of a hill and I see a guy on the northeast fire station, survivor skin, i like to give people a chanch but for some reason this guy didn't get one, I guess I got killed a few times on that server and got fed up of trusting folk, anyways I take a few shots at him and kill him, the name burned into my head, I did later find this guy and turns out he was nice, i felt really guilty even though it's just a game but he forgave in exchange for helping his team out with some engine parts. Recently I started a new server and the first 3 players I've met in Elektro were friendly.

ive died 7 times in the last day, and im still learning how these zombies work, and when to crouch run, when to prone etc and adjusting to the zombies aggro range. but 1 important thing ive learned is to not get attatched to your gear