Prof. Awesome

Do Zombies follow forever?

they will chase you to the end of time!

escape by runnnig up steep hills

escape by running into buildings with 2 exits

escape by running upto another survivor and yelling at them and circling them

escape by running upto a bandit and doing as above

hope this helps :)

I've been able to run away from them while sprinting accros a field, i think it's possible.

I don't think running up a hill stops them. Once you get to a point where they can reach, they run around the obstruction. I've been a town away and had crawlers from the previous town show up at my hiding spot

You can ditch zombies by getting on a dock or pier. They WILL stop following you after a couple minutes of not being able to reach you.

so what happens if you jump into a car and drive off, do the zeds keep following you halfway across the map by the smell of your exhaust?

Well, it all depends on your speed. But sometimes you simply need more than speed and luck. If you out of ammo and got no other choice than run, do so. Do whatever it takes to shake them off, run sick-sack and so on. To survive it's important to never give up whatever you do.

Enjoy!

~Defyx~

Are u able to run away? Or do they freaking chase me till the end of days?

You can also run down steep slopes and when the Zeds get there they jump off and fall to their deaths. But hoppers just hop down slowly then stay in position at the bottom so you can shoot them easily.

I attracted 10 zeds with a motorcycle, run for 3 kilometers and discovered that only 3 out of 10 zombies was able to follow me within a minute.

Don't understimate their running abilities!

I've managed to run up a steep hill and ditched 3 zeds that were chasing me, but its not a very repeatable thing to do. Once the next patch is out we can really ditch them.

run sick-sack and so on

What is running sick-sack?

Something you'd throw up in, I guess?

If you are out of ammo and out in open fields and a group begins to chase you. I think you only have one option. Kiss your arse goodbye.

As said though if you can get to buildings or a hill or obstacle you then at least have a chance.

If you have time, or get the chance then sometimes a flare will throw them off. Not sure but think a smoke grenade does the same thing. They are attracted to the "hissing" sound. Flares are a good diversion to get groups away from where you want to go too.