Sign in to follow this  
lappihuan

Bullet Proof West

What would you think about:

A Bulletproof West, that you can find and is very rare.

It takes the Backpack slot and the West have a little inventory like 4 or 6 slots.

And the Bulletproof West is not a Ultra OP Armor, it just save your life if the shot hit's the west, Headshot would be Dead anyway.

50. Cal or mabey even a M24 would be able to hit you with less damage.

Discuss :)

• Like 4

Body armour and tactical vests/pouches have been discussed lots before mate, yea its a good idea.

I think you mean vest? They are not as good as most believe, and you can wear them under your pack! But the need for one will be pointless, most contacts take seconds, having a vest will will just take seconds longer.

Been discussed before and ended up with flame war *sigh*

But I said in older post was....

Good idea and should be super rare, like 0.5% only at NWAF or Heli sites, should range from 100% to 0% protection (obviously if you get shot and die through the chest from a .50cal the vest wont be as effective if another player decides to take it from your warm dead body, also it shouldn't take up back pack slot as you can easily wear one with body armour.

Would like to see it added to game but only in standalone :)

P.S. Vest not West! :P

hmm, a real firefight can take hours...

What i have seen or made, there are long firefights, but if you are the one who get hit first mabye your firefights just takes seconds...

I would love to have a vest!

Sry havent found in search with my words :S

I wouldn't mind different variants of bulletproof vests, though the common argument is that it removes the feeling that anyone with a Makarov can still 'fend off three guys than someone with an AKM who can only 'fend off one guy. I think that's the real feeling of immersion -- no one is truly bigger than you beyond the reason of a gun.

At least, that was the argument I got on Reddit when I posted an idea similar to this.

Bullet proof vest? No.

Body armour? Yes.

I agree with the idea of bullet proof vest but bear in mind the following from the real world :

Most vests stop bullets from sidearms (most of them - some will still penetrate them). Those are mostly used by police/security forces etc.

There *are* vests that stop bullets from assault rifles (5.56 rounds not 7.62) but they severly limit your mobility. Those are military grade and way more rare.

Sniper rifles are out of the question. Anything below a 50 cal will need armored plating found in tanks in order to stop and 50 cal will penetrate even that.

With the current weapons in the game a vest would only stop bullets from all shotguns, the makarov, the revolver (with it's current 45. acp ammo) the m1911 and all silenced weapons with the exception of the m4.

9mm guns overpenetrate -> they go through kevlar vests because of their smaller shape and faster bullet velocity

.40 and .45 CAN be stopped by ordinary vests but will certainly throw you down (they are called manstoppers for a reason).

Getting shot while wearing a vest hurts like hell and could cause internal bleeding because of the force of the impact alone.

So essentially, even if you wear a vest - if you get shot (on the vest) by anything other than a makarov you're gonna have a bad day.

So what we're looking for is a slightly buffed version of the vest that the hero skin has, which is not exclusive to hero players but can be picked up by anyone.

PS: There are loads of info you can find about ballistics on youtube/wiki.

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 1

It's a good idea, but imagine being a fresh spawn with a double barrel trying to defend yourself against so one with a bulletproof vest... hardly seems fair right?

There *are* vests that stop bullets from assault rifles (5.56 rounds not 7.62)

That's not really true. AR500 plate armor that can be worn in a plate carrier will stop .338LM at range, and .308 easily even at closer ranges. I know this because the long distance ranges I go to have AR500 silhouettes as close as 200 yards. This is using HPBT ammunition or ball. Now obviously armor piercing rounds do just that, but if you find an M24, with some M118LR (7.62x51 with a 175gr Sierra Matchking HPBT), it's gonna be stopped by some AR500 plate. I get your point though, it's no fun running through the woods with AR500 on your chest and back, in addition to all your gear.

I don't want it in the game.

Would not be overpowered if a reasonable weight system such as in ACE mod is in the standalone.

Wait.. can we back up to "Bulletproof West" again? 'Cause I want an Adam West skin for my character now.

• Like 1

It's a good idea, but imagine being a fresh spawn with a double barrel trying to defend yourself against so one with a bulletproof vest... hardly seems fair right?

Aim for the head...aim for the head...

Would not be overpowered if a reasonable weight system such as in ACE mod is in the standalone.

But you would still need to implement an encumbrance system where a lot of bullet proof users would whine about because they can't move "as fast as they should".

That's not really true. AR500 plate armor that can be worn in a plate carrier will stop .338LM at range, and .308 easily even at closer ranges. I know this because the long distance ranges I go to have AR500 silhouettes as close as 200 yards. This is using HPBT ammunition or ball. Now obviously armor piercing rounds do just that, but if you find an M24, with some M118LR (7.62x51 with a 175gr Sierra Matchking HPBT), it's gonna be stopped by some AR500 plate. I get your point though, it's no fun running through the woods with AR500 on your chest and back, in addition to all your gear.

I don't want it in the game.

Any survivor who is still right in his head wouldn't bother using that anyway. Maybe a kevlarvest because it is a bit more comfortable. I tried and old police vest and a PASGT vest and they are really not comfortable and i wouldn't wear them for a longer period of time because it wouldn't be a priority for me in DayZ. And as stated above you would still get hurt when hit, even soldiers wearing heavy body armor still get bruises or broken ribs when hit by an armor piercing round that is stopped, the force has to go somewhere.

I think it is a realy good idea but i think it should be only usefull agaist pistols/shotguns and such smallfirearms

But defenetly not 50.cal! :o

A knockback effect with shotguns vould be nice add when you get shot at closerange to the vest.

Edited by Kabanossi

I think a bulletproof vest would be way to over powered and would take away the skill behind firefights and would make the player almost invincible. But if you made it so you couldn't sprint when wearing a vest or you couldn't lie down while wearing one would even out the playing field.

Any survivor who is still right in his head wouldn't bother using that anyway.

I agree 100%. I don't want it in the game, but I'm not going to say it's a bad idea. It should be very well thought out, though. In that "authentic but not necessarily realistic" way, whatever that may be.

I could see type 2's being found in firestations (police stations) and type 3's being found in military.

They could go into vest slots (whenever vest pouches are implemented) so you wouldn't be totally gimped by not having a backpack... you just would not have vest pouch slots for other gear.

Edited by jabberwock

I agree 100%. I don't want it in the game, but I'm not going to say it's a bad idea. It should be very well thought out, though. In that "authentic but not necessarily realistic" way, whatever that may be.

If people really want military stuff they should play vanilla...if the vest would be added it would be a duped item like the "rare" AS 50 ( TWS ) which is more common than the AKM atm.

I wouldn't mind having it in the game, but everything that adds a huge advantage sometime or often has it's disadvantes too which is not replicated by the game ( like the weight and encumbrance that comes with hauling around heavy weapons and gear ). You can still go one man army and get away with it. The only disadvantage would be the need for bloodbags with is negated by meat already.

Edited by Enforcer

If people really want military stuff they should play vanilla...if the vest would be added it would be a duped item like the "rare" AS 50 ( TWS ) which is more common than the AKM atm.

I wouldn't mind having it in the game, but everything that adds a huge advantage sometime or often has it's disadvantes too which is not replicated by the game ( like the weight and encumbrance that comes with hauling around heavy weapons and gear ). You can still go one man army and get away with it. The only disadvantage would be the need for bloodbags with is negated by meat already.

I don't want that Vest :D for a One man army, i just want it for Realism...

Is in your Town, Village somewhere Policestation?

Would you check it in case of a Zombie Apocalypse?

Would you find there a Bulletproof Vest?

Go the fuck out and Bitch somewhere else, and no i don't think a Vest would be OP if it costs you something to wear it, like less Speed, less inventory or something.

I don't want that Vest :D for a One man army, i just want it for Realism...

Is in your Town, Village somewhere Policestation?

Would you check it in case of a Zombie Apocalypse?

Would you find there a Bulletproof Vest?

Go the fuck out and Bitch somewhere else, and no i don't think a Vest would be OP if it costs you something to wear it, like less Speed, less inventory or something.

My first priority would be food supplies and not a vest that i can't eat. I dare to say there would be tons of people trying to carry away their cash and gold instead when something like DayZ happens... If i had a gun that would come before the food but that's about it. Luxury comes later...thinking of a vest and super fancy sniper rifles in the first seconds is more a gamers wet dream than a survivors nightmare.

Edited by Enforcer