Sign in to follow this  
Ben_uk

Vegetation draw distance increase?

One thing which I think dayz could use is a longer draw distance option for graphics. I know this will have a knock on effect for players in cover of grass and bushes. I just think at the moment the vegetation is not drawn far enough into the distance.

For sure it will increase the lagg

best thing to to is to add the possibility to camouflage when crawling but see some sort of shadow or grass moving, like the Predator shadow when invisible. Allowing you to being less detected

To understand what i mean, you should play to a videogame from 2004 called JOINT OPERATIONS.

That was a large game that i loved on those years because was a Large Scale game similar to BF2...

In this game, even if the grass were disappear over the distance (as any other game, or i should say: all games) you were able to camouflage by crawling and sneaking slowly where did you want. If you were looking carrefouly you could detect guys hiding on the grass by facing the ground.

Edited by GunnyITA

For sure it will increase the lagg

best thing to to is to add the possibility to camouflage when crawling but see some sort of shadow or grass moving, like the Predator shadow when invisible. Allowing you to being less detected

To understand what i mean, you should play to a videogame from 2004 called JOINT OPERATIONS.

That was a large game that i loved on those years because was a Large Scale game similar to BF2...

In this game, even if the grass were disappear over the distance (as any other game, or i should say: all games) you were able to camouflage by crawling and sneaking slowly where did you want. If you were looking carrefouly you could detect guys hiding on the grass by facing the ground.

It will not increase lag at all.

The vegetation side rendering will be done playerside not server side so no lag will come from it.

• Like 1

I'm still a fan of more subtle solutions which place an alpha layer over a player at range, rather than having them sink into the ground or rendering the grass far out as to be performance prohibitive to the client.

iyqh868j.jpg

• Like 2

I'm still a fan of more subtle solutions which place an alpha layer over a player at range, rather than having them sink into the ground or rendering the grass far out as to be performance prohibitive to the client.

iyqh868j.jpg

That is quite an elegant solution.

I am in favor of anything that does not give someone who cranks his settings down to the lowest an advantage.

Isn't a problem also that there are two different texture sets for foreground and middle distance? And the change from one set to the other is inevitably abrupt. So that, looking further away, at a given distance from the player the ground and foliage etc will 'suddenly' look different in any circumstance? Then, to render better, all textures of mid-distance grass, earth, trees (all) would have to be revised - or you would still have the 'flat ground' look, all other considerations apart.

(maybe I'm wrong about this?)

• Like 1

Ye....neither by adding more grass things would change, because players, including me, will lower the settings to have a better view :(

I think that make people quite invisible on the groud on a place where the grass exist, would be a quite good idea.

because adding more grass would become like playing at the night and increasing the gamma.

Only issue there is camouflage should only work for people who ya know, are actually trying to be inconspicuous.

I dont wanna see people in lime green or red jumpsuits being "invisible"

We need a way to hide camouflaged players at distance, yet not concealing players with horrible camouflage.

damn there's no video around to showing you what do i mean :(

only "JOINT OPERATIONS" allowed to do that and was awesome becaue you could camouflage over the distance. Things that still can't be done in any FPS Large Scale.

damn there's no video around to showing you what do i mean :(

only "JOINT OPERATIONS" allowed to do that and was awesome becaue you could camouflage over the distance. Things that still can't be done in any FPS Large Scale.

Look what i found! a guy asking for more grass on Arma 2 and another one says the example i made bout Joint Operations.

http://forums.bistudio.com/archive/index.php/t-90118.html

"I remember a game called Joint Operations, where a prone player would vanish (blend-in) in the ground, sortof, when seen in the grass from a distance.

He would only become partially visible again, when he either moved, or used a weapon."

One thing which I think dayz could use is a longer draw distance option for graphics. I know this will have a knock on effect for players in cover of grass and bushes. I just think at the moment the vegetation is not drawn far enough into the distance.

It is never going to be a fair playing field.Players with higher rigs and able to draw more are at a disadvantage of course but this will not go away. Learn to hide in Pine trees, thick bushes.

"I remember a game called Joint Operations, where a prone player would vanish (blend-in) in the ground, sortof, when seen in the grass from a distance.

He would only become partially visible again, when he either moved, or used a weapon."

They should increase the range of viewing grass and make it changeable. And the players who decrease the vegetation get the system of Joined Operations. This way, players with better hardware would have a beautiful view and the ones with worse pc's still don't have any advantages.

They should increase the range of viewing grass and make it changeable. And the players who decrease the vegetation get the system of Joined Operations. This way, players with better hardware would have a beautiful view and the ones with worse pc's still don't have any advantages.

Yea might be, but Arma 2 and Dayz standalone are very cpu demanding and actually everyone here is lagging. I still think that adding more grass, the more cpu will be loaded. :(