bfisher

DayZ needs radios and here is why

I thought I heard DayZ had radios, but I've yet to see one. Anyhow...

One thing I noticed. On servers where Side Channel is enabled, there is a lot more cooperation between players. I'm following chatter from new spawns looking for friendlies and setting up rallying points. Warnings about snipers and firefights in Cherno and Elektra. People looking for help and looking to help others. Even warnings about hackers. Some jerkoffs too of course.

On servers where it's not enabled, obviously everyone is a lot more isolated. People are more inclined to shoot first and ask questions later since other players are a threat long before you get close enough to communicate.

I think DayZ should have portable radios that act as the Side Channel (or channels) for anyone who has them. Maybe make some of them fixed at the radio towers or in vehicles and whatnot. Being able to communicate to other players over long distances might help to keep DayZ from becomming a COD free-for-all.

For example, I'm rocking a ghillie suit, an AS50 and an M249 SAW. I would love to unlease a firestorm of angry justice with that hardware, but I don't know where to bring it and anyone who sees me is likely to think I'm a bandit out banditing.

• Like 4

I believe I recall a video where Rocket was looking at how to integrate them into standalone. Sidechat pretty much does the same thing but server admins remove them and on most servers where they are enabled people prefer to rage at players who use sidechat rather than mute them or change settings so its not annoying for them.

I like this idea use radio's like the ACRE mod and have seperate frequency's and such

That's perfect, that way if you don't have a ts server you can split if you're on a group

Edited by IncognitoNico

I still prefer ventrillo, teamspeak, or mumble. I think that the local (direct) chat does enough ingame to be honest.

A noob question regarding chatting software, Which is cheapest? I don't know much about them so could one of you enlighten me on the easiest chat software?

A noob question regarding chatting software, Which is cheapest? I don't know much about them so could one of you enlighten me on the easiest chat software?

Teamspeak, mumble, and skype are free. Not sure about vent, I think it has a free version but I might be wrong.

So how does it work when I Join a server and I dont know the server for ts etc? or would you only use this if in a group? I mean can you join a server and be automatically on it? tbh I could do with a tutorial.

I used to use Roger Wilco (years ago), But i took an arrow to the leg.

So how does it work when I Join a server and I dont know the server for ts etc? or would you only use this if in a group? I mean can you join a server and be automatically on it? tbh I could do with a tutorial.

I used to use Roger Wilco (years ago), But i took an arrow to the leg.

it's very easy to use, just get on youtube and find a tutorial.,,,, and yes they are all free to use, not to host (unless you know how, then it can be free)

hi, maybe the servers could create a direct join to a ts-server witch the admin has set up before... so everyone who has a radio can get a direct communication to the servers community?

ts, et al is fine if you have a group of friends you want to coordiate with. In game radios would create an interesting new dynamic.