Sign in to follow this  
The Stoned Wolf

First Run to NWAF; Tips?

I have decided that, after playing for 3 months, it is going to finally pay off to do a straight-up run all the way to NWAF. This is my first run ever; The most far North I've ever gone (not counting spawns along the coast) is Stary Sobor. Yes, I am a newb :P.

Anway, just wanted some tips from you guys. I will probably play on a medium-pop server (high enough so most are too scared to go to NWAF, but low enough so there are few courageous enough to do so). I just wanted to ask: How much food and drink do I really need? Any important stops along the way? I am going to ignore Stary; I just want to get to and from NWAF as fast as possible. Should I full-on sprint, crouch-run, etc. etc. Also, how long do you guesstimate it to take to get there? Any help is much appreciated :).

Bring about two or three servings of food and water, crouch run from cover to cover, and scan out for the number of zombies there/possible look outs and snipers.

If the zombie count seems too high, or you get the gut feeling there's people there, wait 15, then make a call.

• Like 4

I know it sounds odd, but I'm just really nervous about food and water. I mean, I went like 2 kms to Kozlovka and already went through 2 servings of food and drink. Granted, I sprinted a lot, but still...

Try and head in from a non obvious direction, takes time but worth it... I tend to come in from the NE or directly West. Move slow, don't train a bunch of zombies. And as the above poster said, if there is already a ton of z's... watch your butt. Barracks usually have decent weapons, along with the fire station. Take meds food and water as ^ suggested also

• Like 1

I know it sounds odd, but I'm just really nervous about food and water. I mean, I went like 2 kms to Kozlovka and already went through 2 servings of food and drink. Granted, I sprinted a lot, but still...

If you have a knife and matches, go shoot a cow and make a fire with some wood. Take a couple canteens, there is water ponds on the way you can refill at.
  • Like 1

Alright, I think I've calculated a good route. Will be going to Zelenogorsk and follow the road all the way North, until I get near the airfield. Then, I'll go around and approach from the West as you said. Chose this route so I don't get lost easily + I can get all the food/drink I need from the Zeleno market, seeing as the city is still a good km or so up North and it can serve as a good checkpoint.

*EDIT* Also, in spirit of trying to get in and out as soon as possible, should I just ignore the fire station seeing as there's already a ton down South? Or should I might as well do it since I'm already looting everything else?

Edited by Excision
  • Like 1

Take some cooked meat with you incase you need to fight a horde of zombies.

Also don't stand still in the open and don't stand in the middle of a hangar. This will make it easy for snipers to shoot you.

Make the two barracks, one in the north-west of the airfield and the other one in the south-east, your priority. When you've found some decent loot don't risk loosing it and leave the airfield again through the woods.

Edited by Labargoth
  • Like 1

ohh... and if you don't have a silenced weapon, I suggest taking something like the Winchester 1866 because its quiet. Definitely don't ring the dinner bell with the Lee Enfield.

And Good Luck, your first trip to the NWAF will be exciting :) it is a rush

Edited by merrfack
  • Like 1

Take some cooked meat with you incase you need to fight a horde of zombies.

Also don't stand still in the open and don't stand in the middle of a hangar. This will make it easy for snipers to shoot you.

Make the two barracks, one in the north-west of the airfield and the other one in the south-east, your priority. When you've found some decent loot don't risk loosing it and leave the airfield again through the woods.

I concur.

Alright, check. I already have 6 cooked meats with me + a water canteen, 5 or 6 sodas, and some additional canned food. I should be good on these, right? Atm I also have an AKM and an M1911, but chances are I will be going completely prone near zombies, partly so I don't get annoyed, and partly so players can't see that there's probably a guy seeing as there's a huge horde.

Edited by Excision

Ration your food and water servings wait until your items are blinking dont refill right away if you have color change it makes no difference you'll get farther without stopping. 3 items food/3 water will get you there easily i dont know your start location but a few markets are on the way depending on your direction. Attempt to get water bottle matches hunting knife and hatchet for if you want to stay you will be self sufficient once your up there and will survive without aid.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 2

Alright, check. I already have 6 cooked meats with me + a water canteen, 5 or 6 sodas, and some additional canned food. I should be good on these, right? Atm I also have an AKM and an M1911, but chances are I will be going completely prone near zombies, partly so I don't get annoyed, and partly so players can't see that there's probably a guy seeing as there's a huge horde.

Should be good, don't be afraid to run away to fight another day if needed. That should be plenty of food and water, almost to much (tho you can never have to much)... even if your running from the SE part of the map.
  • Like 1

Ration your food and water servings wait until your items are blinking dont refill right away if you have color change it makes no difference you'll get farther without stopping. 3 items food/3 water will get you there easily i dont know your start location but a few markets are on the way depending on your direction. Attempt to get water bottle matches hunting knife and hatchet for if you want to stay you will be self sufficient once your up there and will survive without aid.

I'll be going from North Cherno to Zeleno, at which point I will be resupplying at the market there and then stealthily following the road North in the nearby woods until I get near NWAF, at which point I'll maneuver myself to the West of the airfield for maximum strategic position (hehe, that's fun to say :P).

Edited by Excision
  • Like 1

There are two ways to do this:

1) bambi. Run like hell, use cover, get to high loot areas quickly. Pros: You get in, you get out. That simple. Cons: Easier to spot, even though they'll have a hard time hitting you.

2) Sneaky sneaky. Use prone and crouch, and get into the loot areas slowly but surely. Pros: You won't attract as much attention. Cons: But if a sniper DOES see you, you're a sitting duck.

• Like 1

There are two ways to do this:

1) bambi. Run like hell, use cover, get to high loot areas quickly. Pros: You get in, you get out. That simple. Cons: Easier to spot, even though they'll have a hard time hitting you.

2) Sneaky sneaky. Use prone and crouch, and get into the loot areas slowly but surely. Pros: You won't attract as much attention. Cons: But if a sniper DOES see you, you're a sitting duck.

Will probably be so full of adrenaline once I'm at the airfield will probably do an all-out bambi once there lol. On the way will be a mix of both though :P

Alright, thank you all for your helpful posts, has some beanz ;).

Anyway, suppose I should start the long journey! Will probably be at least 45 minutes long, but I hope it's worth it :D. Wish me luck.

Edited by Excision
  • Like 1

go to both barracks, its too risky to go to the hangers,atc tower and firehouse. just check both barracks and get out. the longer you stay bad things happen.

First two times I went to NWAF, a chopper came rollin' in and mowed me down.

Let's hope that doesn't happen to you.

as a looting suggestion dont enter the airfield on arrival approach from the east drop in behind the hangars loot them drop back out to the wood line and repeat process in a circle around the air field if you really want to hit the atc tower do it last and get a full view from either side of the airfield by this time you will have completed a full perimeter check without fully entering the wire thus ruling out opposition forces overlooking from all directions.

as a looting suggestion dont enter the airfield on arrival approach from the east drop in behind the hangars loot them drop back out to the wood line and repeat process in a circle around the air field if you really want to hit the atc tower do it last and get a full view from either side of the airfield by this time you will have completed a full perimeter check without fully entering the wire thus ruling out opposition forces overlooking from all directions.

So, going from the East would be better than the West like I have set? I have another alt route that involves me going to Novy and then Grishino, at which point I can easily enter NWAF from the East.

Edited by Excision

It's mainly what your comfortable with, all directions are good. I just take the approach of where I think that no one is expecting, or least expecting. East is good, has good cover, I just prefer the west and north because you can see more of the airfield vs being obstructed by the hangers if you come in from the east

Edited by merrfack
  • Like 1

When looting - do NOT sit a room for over a minute and a half. You should be in and out of a room in 1 minute or less.

Why? Server hoppers.

• Like 1

Thing is, I am going to waste a good amount of time going to Zeleno. I'm in the forest just north of Cherno; should I just head NW till I hit the road in my original plan, and then follow it? Seeing as my only reason for stopping in Zeleno is the market for supplies, of which I already have an ample amount.

Edited by Excision

You could be sneaky and hit Stary Sabor on the way from the west, then right after you hit the market there get out and move NW. However, stary sabor can be as dangerous as Chern if people are watching it. I honestly wouldn't worry about supples, since you are good on food and water. If you need a map or something still, after the NWAF hit devils castle, usually has tools.