Psycho (DayZ)

Multiple Characters

Me and four of my friends survive as a group, meaning we meet up, and loot places and basically do everything together. When we're done playing, we all log off at the same time and at the same place, then we all get on again at the same time. However, sometimes I'd like to play Day Z, but they're not on. I don't want to get on my character and get lost, killed, or go away from where they all logged off, so it'd be really nice if you could have more than one character that you could select from to play on.

• Like 1

I think that would be nice as well. Have different profiles (you can access those at the main menu) each be a different character.

I solved this issue by buying a separate, non-steam copy of ArmaII and Operation Arrowhead.

I think spending thirty dollars to solve this issue seems a bit excessive.

This is kind of a mix between a suggestion and a bug report. I mean it's not NECESSARY for us to be able to have more than one character, but like I said, it's pretty hard to survive on your own, and a lot of people go in groups, but you therefore will not be able to play Day Z unless everyone is on.

I don't understand these people saying "it's hard to survive on your own".

That's because you fools are going right into the heart of Cherno or Elektro expecting to survive!

yeah I'd be keen on this also, I mainly play with a group. Would be sweet to have a character to play on while i wait for them to get home from work etc.

I would like to have this feature too. I play quite a lot with my friend but when he is not on and I would like to play dayz I can't really play the mod coz if I would die / wander a long way away then we would have to find each other again and that could take a quite long time.

I support this notion for the exact same reasons OP posted. I would like a different character to be able to play on and lone-wolf a little while I wait for my group to get together.

Having multiple characters really removes a certain aspect from this survival game. Playing one character really forces you as your character progress to become more and more careful and you become more and more paranoid, just like it should be.

This will only result in use of mules. With mules the game experience will be ruined and there will be too easy to hoard items. You can just drop off items, relog and pick them up with another character.

Mule: A video game character who functions as a holding space for items for another character.

Because if there is one thing this mod doesn't need, it's people making "mule" characters whose sole purpose is to act as a safe deposit box.

Having to shell 30 bucks for an extra copy of the game reserve this stupid activity only to the most dedicated.

So because you people are oh so terrified of these "mule" characters, the rest of us should be forced to wait around for everyone else just to play our game, or shell out another 30 bucks to buy TWO copies of the same game? I don't buy into that. Not for a second. I'm more peeved about my lack of feeling like I can play when none of my friends are online than I ever could be about "mules".

I don't give a shit about the phantom menace of mules full of NVGs and M107s, but I do have concerns about disk space from additional characters. I wouldn't mind spending a couple bucks for an additional character slot. It would probably more than cover the cost of disk space, and help offset some of the bandwidth issues rocket and his web guy are having.

I am on the fence, it would be nice to have different characters for different profiles; one for playing with my buddies, another for playing when they aren't around.

However, I am concerned about the server load AND the amount of exploits it opens the game up to. Tough call. I would say it would be better to keep it as is, and the OP can find a way to have fun while his friends are offline (patrolling the surrounding areas, etc. That's what I did when we held NW airfield a bit.)

Hate to say it, but I don't think this ever happen. As far as I can tell, your player ID tag is what is sent to the server to retrieve your character. Some how you would need to change your tag ID to have more then character. Any one have any solid hints on how they could even implement multi character use?

Hate to say it' date=' but I don't think this ever happen. As far as I can tell, your player ID tag is what is sent to the server to retrieve your character. Some how you would need to change your tag ID to have more then character. Any one have any solid hints on how they could even implement multi character use?

[/quote']

Character names are also logged, which is how you are able to see people's names in the leaderboard, and on your debug widget ingame.

This is a bad idea. People could use them as waves in an assault on a location.

Say they attack the NW airfield, die, log out, sign back in with another character fully armed and in waiting to attack next.

People are too terrified of exploitation.

Muling is nothing new, and there are plenty of other ways to exploit in this game. Nothing will ever stop people from trying to exploit it, so stop denying the legit players features that make sense.

I know I could use this feature, as a friend of mine really wants to play. His computer can't handle Arma, so multiple characters will allow him to play while I'm doing stuff.

One solution would be to somehow not allow the same ID tag (the same factual player on same computer, that is) to enter the same server as another ingame character logged out of. Because I whole-heartedly agree that one should be able to have different ones for whatever reason you would want to do so, without the ability to "lure" the system and farm loot with one character and use said loot with another.

Getting two copies of the game is an entirely different thing to do for individual players, and anyone is welcome to spend another € 20-30 to be able to play as one would like with or without your buddies as it stands, however this shouldn not be the only option.

I do not like this idea.

I like playing groups but have no problems going off alone. Yeah, and sometimes I die in the process when I take too many risks. So what? That's the game.

I really have a hard time understanding the "oh noes, I don't dare moving out of the woods without my pimped-out 8-man group on TS"-mindset in a survival game like DayZ.

I'm against it, it would be VERY easy to set up a 2 or 3 way killing field at the airfields just by putting a cz armed character in a couple of spots, I cam also see someone putting one toon at each airfield and just farming gear, bad idea IMO.

If you want to play when your mates aren't online maybe you should just embrace the simulation and make sure you log out close enough to them to rendezvous, this isn't meant to be an arcade game.

So many of the suggestions here all come down to not wanting to die and lose your position/gear. That is exactly what makes this mod so fantastic to me, it actually seriously affects your gameplay when you die! I'm awaiting the suggestion OMG I DIED, I CAN HAZ RES????

To quote the DayZ 'About' page on the website;

"Requirements:

Balls"