sothis

I believe Rocket should..

.. Shut down all public access to DayZ development. Possibly just let the public have the current builds along with its hive.

I hate to say this but honestly, I believe the only right thing to do at this point is to shut the project down for the public, set up an alpha/beta invitation application form, let them sign an NDA (if that is even legally possible as it's based off of BI's title), and then perform the stresstests like so.

Come to think of it, it would quite possibly be much more of a pain in the ass to do, than to just leave it in the public, but my opinion is based off the obvious stress the DayZ staff is getting. Apart from the human side of it, of which concerns the fact that they get emotionally smashed, there is also the end-user side of it: The fact that their work might not be as good and solid as they'd want it to be, because the stress tears them into pieces.

I don't know, I just made this thread because it pains me to see people be so stressed out by a fucking mod-turned-popular.

Whatever. For what it's worth, I just hope everything turns out OK with no one mentally bruised, after this bullshit ride with ungrateful cunts - This includes the hackers with delusions of grandeur - fucking it up for those that actually work hard to make this shit function the way they intended.

Good day to you all.

I'm fine with you not agreeing with me. In fact I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

All I know is that we ALL want an end-product that we can enjoy, but so far it's been such a bumpy ride, that I don't honestly believe Rocket or any other DayZ member hasn't had the thought of restricting it as my OP suggests cross their mind.

Either way, I made the thread, and as long as it's here, I'd like to discuss it, in case others feel the same way.

His intention was to stress people out.

I get that. But I'm not talking about the users, but the devs them selves. Did he intend to stress himself or his staff out? Did he intend to go ahead and develop what is seemingly a halfway-milestone mark to insanity? Did he intend for hackers to have a free playground? Fuck no.

Well, I believe all this kind of stuff should be posted in the same forum topic we already have on this sort of thing. So that we don't re-discuss the same stuff endlessly.

But let's even suppose, that EA steal all my design. And redo everything.

Cool beans. See you in three years. By which time, we'll be onto DayZ 2 and I'll by driving a lambo with my hot Czech significant other.

(It's a sort-of-joke hopefully not too dickish)

Fun fact: Testing new features/changes actually require a certain number of people to get proper data. And an open alpha/beta works just fine for this.

The fact that people can't seem to understand that they are TESTING a game is just down to human nature. They'd complain if access was closed, and complain if an open alpha didn't work exactly as intended.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Why do you assume the dev team is stressed out? If anything I would think the popularity would keep them focused and motivated on the project. And all the bitching and whining going on tells Rocket he's on the right track.

Well' date=' I believe all this kind of stuff should be posted in the same forum topic we already have on this sort of thing. So that we don't re-discuss the same stuff endlessly.

But let's even suppose, that EA steal all my design. And redo everything.

Cool beans. See you in three years. By which time, we'll be onto DayZ 2 and I'll by driving a lambo with my hot Czech significant other.

(It's a sort-of-joke hopefully not too dickish)

[/quote']

Well, I was about to post in the topic you made regarding it, but as I was writing it, I realized it was more general, and not as specific. Feel free to close it or whatever if you see it fit for that. I'll just forward it into that thread then.

To your post: You know what? I get that.

Your brainchild (if I may be so cocky to call it that, in spite of the fact that it has obvious relations to many subcultural niches,) is precious to you, and who in the hell wouldn't feel the same?

What I'm fearful of is the fact that this testing, ultimately, should have been done behind SOMEWHAT closed doors. The kinks that you couldn't have ironed out with a small team - the connection problems, character saving etc, you could then fix when the first public beta was out, but everything else was to be developed in silence. I realize theres a lot more to it than that, and some things might even require full database rebuilding of some sort, as we saw with the jump from 1.6.0.x to 1.7.0.

What I'm ultimately about, is the fact that it's screwing you up. Or atleast it feels that way from my point of view, and it utterly pains me to see it happen. Moreso it pains me to see all the newcomers to original game get such an impeccable impression of a mod, only to be crushed by the progression being slowed or even put to a halt because of whatever might happen; forum-hackers, game-hackers, people jumping up and down in anger because you do whatever it is you choose to do with your mod and so on and so forth..

I don't mean to presume to know how you feel or anything, but I certainly know that what I'm seeing isn't exactly healthy. Thats all. Thats the reason of the post. I'd rather not play DayZ for some time because it is in internal testing, than to play it now with so many problems occuring.

Why do you assume the dev team is stressed out? If anything I would think the popularity would keep them focused and motivated on the project. And all the bitching and whining going on tells Rocket he's on the right track.

I don't assume they're stressed out (although I might have had to chose another word than 'stress', as the word used was actually pressure.), I KNOW they are. I know this because Rocket has said so himself. Him being at least one of the channels to get this information from, I believe thats the truth of it.

I'm not saying pressure generally is bad, because hell no, it's good for the mind and soul, but too much of and you'll start seeing devastating effects. And thus far it's only been increasing. But like I said, it's only my view of it, and I sure as hell don't mean to say that it all turns to shit because they're under heavy pressure, but the escalation of drama is just maddening, even for a simpleton like myself enjoying the mod.

I think if anything, rocket has shown the industry how you SHOULD make a game. Open it early, let people PLAY IT, let the popularity build, and try things out on a realistic sample of your retail playerbase.

If people weren't bitching about bugs & hackers, they'd be crying for rocket to hire a community manager, hounding him for more interviews and game details, etc. So that's really a moot point.

And as you can see, there really isn't much to SHARE that will keep a fanbase entertained for years during development. Devs have to spend ridiculous amounts of time making dev diaries, talking about random features they might put in, ultimately creating unrealistic expectations & more features than they can actually deliver, etc.

Its an experiment and we are the lad-rats......:)