Sign in to follow this  
TrialBySword

A Rapid Clotting Agent

Basically the bandage only faster. Comes in powder form to instantly stop bleeding. Same function of the bandage, but at 1/10th the speed (or whatever seems fair). Would be extremely useful when running from zombies or players as it would stop the bleeding quickly to either get back in the fight or get the hell out. Regular bandages take way too long to be used in combat situations IMHO.

It could come in small pouches like Celox or Quikclot. If you don't know what those are, google them. The powder form that is directly poured into the wound with direct pressure.

In order to balance them they would need to be somewhat rare. Maybe military drop only? I've also heard that Quikclot can cause nasty chemical burns... So maybe it even sacrifices some blood points in exchange for a quick patch. Perhaps it could even be a temporary fix and requires an actual bandage or bleeding would start again. Directions call for direct pressure for 5+ minutes so maybe the clot falls out and player bleeds without added bandage.

I was an EMT and our rig carried Celox-A Applicator for penetration/puncture wounds such as knife or gunshot. I also go shooting a lot and always take a few for worst case scenario accidents.

Thoughts? It's a relatively simple idea. Probably easy to implement in the game. I searched for similar ideas in the suggestion topic but I haven't seen any like this. I'm also new to the forum, and DayZ in general. This is my first post.

• Like 9

Sounds cool, I always thought bandages where a bit slow in combat. I think it should not be a permanent fix like the bandage though, just enough to get you out of combat.

Sounds cool, I always thought bandages where a bit slow in combat. I think it should not be a permanent fix like the bandage though, just enough to get you out of combat.

I agree, it sounds great

How about cyanoacrylate(superglue) for temporarily seal wounds also... used in vietnam war in the 60s. This could be residentialspawn.

Would be very usefull in combats.

Edited by Zeppa

Wow, what a fucking great idea.

Beans for you sir!

Multiple neat ideas in this thread.

Especially superglue.

Honestly, the more makeshift DOY survival methods, the better in my opinion.

this is so win and original, you sir should put a pic, that makes people recognize your win in the future

Don´t like the idea. It´would make bleeding ridiculous and the game way too easy.

Temp fix plus it hurts a bit... Combined with a rare find. Thx pplz

Edit: it actually requires semi-immediate doctor care IRL. Quikclot is some nasty stuff to have in the bloodstream. It's only to stop life threatening bleeding UNTIL patient gets to the hospital and under MD care. It's why we didn't use it... Celox is much less harmful overall but would probably be too cheap for the game. Plus Quikclot is more popular brand anyways. Find em at any outdoors store in/near first aid isle.

Edited by TrialBySword

Dont know which would last longer superglue or clotting agent but I know that glue is not rare find.

Should be dependant what kind of wound.

Edited by Zeppa

Dont know which would last longer superglue or clotting agent but I know that glue is not rare find.

Should be dependant what kind of wound.

I like the idea of superglue. It'd make the bandage more rare as it should be and it would replace it with a temp (maybe prolonged?) fix.

It's just not as fast as the clot powder and I would never try to superglue my open leg wound while being shot at or chased by zombies... I'd like to see both perhaps

Comes in powder form to instantly stop bleeding.

Directions call for direct pressure for 5+ minutes

Just making sure those two lines connect for people.

Thing is, you can most likely bandage in a faster time than 5+ minutes.

To be totally honestly it should work the other way, lower your blood the longer it should take to patch up, hell even make it so if your under 2k you are to fucked up to even bandage yourself.

A instant heal would just be another step towards being just another FPS DM game to be honest.

Edited by Never

Just making sure those two lines connect for people.

Thing is, you can most likely bandage in a faster time than 5+ minutes.

To be totally honestly it should work the other way, lower your blood the longer it should take to patch up, hell even make it so if your under 2k you are to fucked up to even bandage yourself.

A instant heal would just be another step towards being just another FPS DM game to be honest.

Somehow I like this.

I don't want it to be a magic insta-heal... It's not in the real world. Just a temp fix to bug-out of a bad situation or kill whatever's ailing you. I can see how a temp quick fix could be beneficial even with horrible side effects like chem burns and non-permenant.

My goal for coming up with good suggestions has only 4 criteria:

1. Simple to understand; not overly complicated and confusing.

2. Simple to implement in the game; no massive or complex scripting/modeling (best way to avoid bugs; also gets it in the game quicker)

3. Logical idea, or improvement of an existing idea.

4. Add a new/interesting dynamic by said new/improved idea.

QuikClot:

1. Stops bleeding quickly but temporarily and cost a little blood.

2. Look identical to heat pack model (blue, not yellow), relatively easy to script with a timer (I assume).

3. Many medical personell and even some military branches use this stuff, if not powder then combat gauze laced with it so it would seem logical to find in hospitals or military encampments.

4. I also believe it would add a new dynamic to the combat aspect of the game. You don't know whether or not that player you just wounded might be patched up ready to fight. Or a last resort patch while running wounded through a field from a pack of unrelenting zombies. Plus it would give you something else to stuff in the bandage/mag pouch making it semi-strategic. Do I take an extra mag? Or QC with a needed follow-up bandage?

As far as the 5+ minutes, that is extreme overkill. The agent immediately clots the blood as soon as it it is pressed into the wound and makes contact. The 5min is just EMT protocol to be 110% sure and avoid malpractice lawsuits.

Edited by TrialBySword

No thanks. I'm all for a more sophisticated medical system but bandaging is already plenty fast enough (10 seconds) and completely stops bleeding. Unless normal bandages were made less effective I can't see much of an argument for adding clotting agents if the goal is authenticity.

The real advantage of most of these products are that they control bleeding better, not that they are faster to apply. In fact, the current generation products are usually delivered as impregnated sponges and bandages because they're easier to apply than powders. How easy do you think it is to get a powder to stay on a vertical wound surface or one that is hemorrhaging blood?

If 10 seconds is really to long to take cover and slap on a bandage maybe there could be combat tourniquets that players preemptively apply to their extremities and pull tight after getting hit? Of course, in real life tourniquets aren't nearly as effective as DayZ bandages either, especially when applied by laymen.

Bandaging should actually be the quick fix. Steralizing and stitching should be the permanant fix

Bandaging should actually be the quick fix. Steralizing and stitching should be the permanant fix

I agree. Bandageing is a quick fix versus disinfecting and stitching. But again... You won't catch me bandaging myself while someone is shooting at and/or chasing me.

Bandaging is for downtime or when you're behind good cover. QuikClot is when there is someone hot on your ass and you don't have 10 seconds to spare, but also don't want to bleed out and fall unconscious.

The whole point is to add another dimension to combat. Not as much to healing or even "fixing"

It's why it should be temporary and hurt a little.

Edited by TrialBySword

The real advantage of most of these products are that they control bleeding better, not that they are faster to apply. In fact, the current generation products are usually delivered as impregnated sponges and bandages because they're easier to apply than powders. How easy do you think it is to get a powder to stay on a vertical wound surface or one that is hemorrhaging blood?

If 10 seconds is really to long to take cover and slap on a bandage maybe there could be combat tourniquets that players preemptively apply to their extremities and pull tight after getting hit? Of course, in real life tourniquets aren't nearly as effective as DayZ bandages either, especially when applied by laymen.

It's faster I guarantee it. It's an almost instant reaction; I'm talking like a second and a half. You're talking to someone who has emergency medical experience and who has used this stuff in the field.

About the advanced laced sponges or bandages I wasn't calling for those. Even though they'd be more effective when packed into a wound, they aren't common to civilians like Celox which has been on every rig I've worked on. I mentioned QC because it's more readily available in outdoor sporting stores.

And as far as tourniquets, realistically you'll lose your arm if you leave one on too long. However, perhaps replacing it with the same idea (fast but temporary fix followed by a bandage) then it would still employ the same combat dynamic. It would differ in that it could be reuseable. However it still won't be faster than a little package of QC or Celox. More effective, yes. Faster, no. And I'm focusing on speed for this dynamic.

Edited by TrialBySword

It's faster I guarantee it. It's an almost instant reaction; I'm talking like a second and a half. You're talking to someone who has emergency medical experience and who has used this stuff in the field.

About the advanced laced sponges or bandages I wasn't calling for those. Even though they'd be more effective when packed into a wound, they aren't common like little packets of QuikClot or Celox which is pretty much on every rig in America nowadays.

And as far as tourniquets, realistically you'll lose your arm if you leave one one too long. However, perhaps replacing it with the same idea (fast but temporary fix followed by a bandage) then it would still employ the same combat dynamic. However it still won't be faster than a little package of QC or Celox.

How would you suggest it "hurting" translate into the game? It should have some type of downside besides it not being permanent, the pain aspect of this should somehow translate into the game.

I think the pain aspect should be present always when shot or otherwise injured... you cant take the pain away just bandaging or sticthing. Pain could be pulsing red tint to your screen, severe pain as now it could be degrees of shaking and/or combination of both. That should wear of over time but could be temporarily stopped or eased with painkillers or some sort.

You would also have to factor in adrenaline. Adrenaline can sometimes over power pain receptors which is how some people get shot (hurt in any way) and don't realize right away. However sometimes when the adrenaline wears off, some pain could be crippling and incapacitate you. This can QUICKLY become very complicated lol

Sorry when I said "Pain" or hurt I meant like it would knock off a few Blood points. Not the effect status pain. Sorry bout that. I figured it could hurt like 50-100 blood (or some smallish amount) but in the long-run save more than if you let him bleed

Edited by TrialBySword