Sign in to follow this  
gesundheitk

Firearm Weapon Parts, Firearms, & Ability to Strip Down Firearms

I know this may seem like one of those insane ideas, but what if you had the ability to strip down your weapon, or find some parts for your gun?

It would definitely be pretty cool for it to work as then it will support the ability to maintence your firearm and let it work at it's 100%. It would also make you feel more immersed, and more accomplished when you finally find that stock you wanted, or the new barrel, or that shroud, maybe even a dust cover that you find along the road from an attack or something that would reduce the possibility of your gun jamming. The way it works is that once you find a decent amount of parts to get the gun to actually fire, then from there you can build it. I personally love this idea and would actually find it pretty cool to be implemented. There would be some cons to this though.

The disadvantages, that I can think of, is that it may actually be too hard to get a weapon, and those who already have some may make it so that it's impossible to scavenge one. Another problem is the lack of knowledge to build one. I mean, c'mon, over half the population of people who play DayZ can't fly a helicopter, even though there is opportunities to learn how to on Arma 2 itself (hopefully I'm not bagging on anyone here! :( ).

I value your opinion more than mines sometimes, though. This is the case on this topic. What do you all think of this idea?

:) /

Edited by Gesundheit

I dont like it... but do in a way at same time... i think having machine shops/ mills lathes available in the standalone would be cool.. and have the ability to fabricate parts, say build a reciever group for a double barrel, with a rotary catridge feed/ or top plate belt feed set up... im sure you can see where id be going with that.. so i think the finding parts in game is a sweet idea, but fabrication should be an option in the standalone as well... but with weapons normally being found intact, but wearable. (it would be an easy thing to modify a dirty ole .303 for example into something resembling a m14)

Would be nice to have to option for custom stock/mechanism combinations, but more than likely far too complicated.

If it were to be implemented, I picture it more as a personal preference thing, alongside "vanilla" weapon spawns, probably providing quicker drawing, or steadier shouldering.

To have parts spawn "instead" of guns would be unrealistic (not that it's realistic now, but you get my point). Unless a cargo plane carrying weapon parts to a machining factory exploded over the country. :P

But lightweight frames, extended and weighted barrels, custom grips etc. would make really nice weapon mods.

• Like 2

Would be nice to have to option for custom stock/mechanism combinations, but more than likely far too complicated.

If it were to be implemented, I picture it more as a personal preference thing, alongside "vanilla" weapon spawns, probably providing quicker drawing, or steadier shouldering.

To have parts spawn "instead" of guns would be unrealistic (not that it's realistic now, but you get my point). Unless a cargo plane carrying weapon parts to a machining factory exploded over the country. :P

But lightweight frames, extended and weighted barrels, custom grips etc. would make really nice weapon mods.

I agree. I do believe that the ability to install a grip on the barrel, or change out the dust cover, or something in that nature, would be pretty cool.

Firearms are rarely ever stripped down to their base components except at an armoury or during routine maintenance. It is highly unlikely that you will find spare parts just laying around.

Someone running an AR15/M16, however may carry with them a spare bolt, firing pin and cam pin, but that is just insurance.

What is more likely is that you could come across firearms that are damaged and be able to salvage good working parts from them, but this still lacks in my opinion because you are more likely to find an operational firearm that just needs ammunition.

I think that regular maintenance should be a part of DayZ though, as you would be relying completely on your firearm for your survival. If you were to neglect it and fail to clean it regularly it may jam, or in the worst case suffer a irreversible failure. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has served their armed forces(I have not) will tell you that you clean your rifle, before you eat, or do anything else.

• Like 2

dunno, I thought people kept there guns intact, unless the entire population of cherno, from the farmer in the barn with his granddaddies 12 gauge, to the marine in the airstrip barracks with his m4cco decided all at once to dissemble their guns, and this just so happens to coincide with most of the population turning to zombies.... seems likely imo, completely feasible, not only that but I'd expect that survivor to be able to reassemble any weapon he came across, easy peasy japanesey.

not only that but I'd expect anybody to be able to whip up, within tolerances without drawings or measurements any part of a firearm, its piss easy after all, thats why people in the metal trade dont do any training. oh wait!

Doesn't seem people don't like the idea of only parts being found in Chernarus too much :(

Perhaps firearms AND firearm parts spawning?

E: Added instead of only firearm parts spawning, both firearm and firearm parts spawning.

Edited by Gesundheit

@Skrewy - Pre-machined weapon parts are made to be easy to swap out. Otherwise how are you supposed to refit or maintain military weapons in the field?

I agree you likely wouldn't be building a gun
from scratch
, but you probably would be able to replace most worn weapon parts required if a compatible part was there.

AKM and AK47 springs and bolts are ALL made to be interchangeable for example.

@NavyCuda - Maintenance +1 , salvage +1.

If DayZ steers clear of a basic "
% durability
" bar (eg. Fallout 3) it would require care, and knowledge of your own weapon
and
it's parts, to keep it in full working order.

EDIT: I'm hoping weapon maintenance in standalone is going to be a bit like vehicle maintenance is now, but more in depth.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

Great idea like it alot, but ad for parts how about you find weapons that are just so beat up you can salvage intact parts from them and assemeble a working firearm from them once you have collected enough parts?

I imagine it would be mainly weapons that are only just functioning, but a couple of bits are in better condition, so you would keep a hold of the good bits when the rest is completely beyond fixing.

Inspecting a weapon you find JUST to see if it has the bits you need might leave you in danger while you're distracted ^_^

I think weapons in standalone will have to be pretty beat up when we find them to make salvaging parts necessary. Otherwise you could just get a new gun when yours eventually breaks.

EDIT: It would be easier to replace bits on a mostly functional weapon than it would be to build a brand new one out of salvaged parts.

Edited by Chabowski

Accessories, yes

Cleaning kit yes, no

Parts that fail internally and that can then be replaced/or building firearms from salvage, no

If your bolt/firing pin failed it would be easier to find a new gun than a replacement part. These parts don't fail very often (if it at all) over the the life of a gun and since most guns contain 1 of each part to work finding parts is as hard as finding a new gun.

Guns fail mostly due to poor storage, inadequite cleaning/care and bad ammunition. Wasting time and code getting complex parts into loot doesn't seem like it adds much to the game. Finding a tool box or multitool to add a looted scope/flashlight seems fun. Finding a cleaning kit to prevent jams/improve handling is sensbile.

Finding guns, like a crusty old CZ in farmers shed and having to polishing via cleaning kit so it perorms better would be both rewarding and make sense.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

legit idea kinda build your own gun in a sense i like this alot

Firearms, although they are mechanically simple, have measurements that are critical to ensure they are safe to operate and will do their job correctly. They are not toys, they are not lego building blocks you can just toss together. Some rifles operate at close to 60,000psi(perhaps more, this is just within the realm of my limited experience) of pressure to accelerate the projectile. If the headspace is wrong, or the bolt is not correctly locked up you will have a kaboom that could result in serious injury or even death. Many firearms require special tools to disassemble them further than a field strip. Most firearms users do not know how to properly field strip their firearm, never mind an armourers tear down. In a situation like presented in DayZ, it isn't even that likely the firearm will be correctly cleaned and lubricated.

It is, in my opinion, unrealistic to build firearms in a game. However it would be realistic to modify them, or to experience issues stemming from extended use without maintenance. The kind of modifications I'm talking about, is switching optics or adding a suppressor or something along those lines.

Edited by NavyCuda

dunno, I thought people kept there guns intact, unless the entire population of cherno, from the farmer in the barn with his granddaddies 12 gauge, to the marine in the airstrip barracks with his m4cco decided all at once to dissemble their guns, and this just so happens to coincide with most of the population turning to zombies.... seems likely imo, completely feasible, not only that but I'd expect that survivor to be able to reassemble any weapon he came across, easy peasy japanesey.

not only that but I'd expect anybody to be able to whip up, within tolerances without drawings or measurements any part of a firearm, its piss easy after all, thats why people in the metal trade dont do any training. oh wait!

If your entire post is going to be sarcasm, don't waste the finger strength.