Sign in to follow this  
chris p. bacon

"Oh, it's night. Guess I'd better leave"

144 members have voted

1. 1. Are you?

• Sure are!
    • Nope!
    • Only when I don't have my NVGs and FN FAL AN/PVS, lol

Be honest, are you one of the people who leaves the server the moment it starts getting dark?

95% of servers I won't leave. But there seems to be a couple of servers getting around were it is literally impossible to do anything, even with your brightness/gamma turned right up.

• Like 1

95% of servers I won't leave. But there seems to be a couple of servers getting around were it is literally impossible to do anything, even with your brightness/gamma turned right up.

Yeah, I just can't for the life of me figure out how to get that funny yellow gun we spawn with to work...

Edited by chris p. bacon
  • Like 5

I leave at night time purely because its so ridiculously easy to exploit, not to forget about the desync issues regarding 'night time'

There's been many times I've been playing at around 7pm ingame and its bright as day for myself but pitch black for others and then there's gamma goggles and other ways to make your game brighter...

Nvg's at midnight, walk right in front of zombies while looting a city, plus it makes you feel safe, you cant be seen or heard at all.

I tired the flashlight <_< , it's like looking through a straw.

Zombies mistake flairs for brains.

Chemlights are ok but in a city I'd like to turn on and off my light source a lot and it's harder to do with these and you leave a trail.

More/better light source options and "authentic" night time lighting conditions (with no light pollution) and might become just as fun as during the day.

Yeah, I just can't for the life of me figure out how to get that funny yellow gun we spawn with to work...

Don't worry. It's not your fault. It's explicitly hard in DayZ to get that going.

Yeah im going to spend my gaming hours walking 4km to the nearest town with a "yellow gun". And who spawns these days, I haven't done that for months.

If I had NVG, I'll stay, but I generally don't unless I'm near a town or city. Most nights in the game are unrealistically dark, so it ends being rather annoying getting around at all. Sure it's nicer for looting due to zombies not seeing ya, but I generally prefer daytime looting unless I'm prepared for a night shift.

It took me a few minutes to realize the flashgun doesn't work from your tool belt (whole UI/inventory being scrapped and redone in the standalone). If anyone doesn't know you right click to equip it then press L to turn on and off. If you have a handgun it'll place in your inventory and if it's full stuff will get deleted (5 slots).

It took me a few minutes to realize the flashgun doesn't work from your tool belt (whole UI/inventory being scrapped and redone in the standalone). If anyone doesn't know you right click to equip it then press L to turn on and off. If you have a handgun it'll place in your inventory and if it's full stuff will get deleted (5 slots).

If they fixed it so you could use a flashlight and pistol together, I'd be more inclined to actually stay on at nights.

• Like 1

If they fixed it so you could use a flashlight and pistol together, I'd be more inclined to actually stay on at nights.

Get a g17, kickass pistol anyway, the light is just a little bonus.

• Like 2

Get a g17, kickass pistol anyway, the light is just a little bonus.

I remember the G17 being pretty dang weak. It is nice to have, but we should be able to use flashlights and pistols together if we want to keep with the idea of realism here, or at least done in a way that you can easily switch between them. Something I assume that can be remedied in the standalone.

I'm sure it's on the list of additions, would be stupid not to have the option.

But the glock's fine for headshotting Zeds, and flicking the light on and off seems to tip gunfights in the dark in your favour when you're fighting Sam Fisher and his NVG buddies.

Night is TOO dark for me. I love it in games like STALKER where I can still sort of see and having NV or a flashlight helps tremendously. STALKER also has other light sources. But in DayZ it's just black - no fun.

Only leave when I don't have NVGS I find the gamma thing is kinda a form of cheating, just an opinion

Gamma goggles is fairly low in the cheating spectrum but I still just use lights and flares and stuff, if I get shot, meh.

Rocket has mentioned giving us something resembling the natural way our vision adapts to the dark for standalone, so it'll still be playable in night servers.

Here's hoping it doesn't turn out like (just an example) Fallout 3. I love that game, but it's weird that no matter how dark it gets, you can always see just fine.

I'll wrap it up when it's getting darker cause looting a town takes longer and it's easer to get lost when you can't see landmarks. But darkness have several benefits to it so I don't mind that much. I don't use gamma correction but tabs out a lot to check the map.

You guys should try night play when it's full moon, it's a lot brighter.

Playing at night is way more fun than playing at day. Especially without NVGs. 870 and flares = Win :D

• Like 2

I usually leave when it becomes night.

I don't think it's anything to be ashamed about. Humans aren't nocturnal, I think it's natural to stop activity for the night and get some shut eye and continue in the morning. That's what I pretend I'm doing. When night time approaches I make my way back to camp and get some sleep for the night (so to speak) and wake up in the moring for some heli hunting!

Playing at night time isn't really thrilling for me. Using a flash light is just way too awkward. I basically can't move without my guy frantically waving it from head to toe. And even then, when indoors the cone of light seems way too small. As said above, looks like you're looking through a straw.

I like playing at night. Less players, zombies can barely see you, better chance of getting loot.

I usually sneak up on people and make vampire sounds, hitting them with a crowbar.

I also like playing at night, you can cover alot of ground and have some little comfort that not every hill has a sniper on it.. Unless you come across one with NVG's..

Just last week i used a flare for the first time in about 4 months and didnt get shot... Thats a plus.