psikys

Editing map in 3d Editor

Question to the group, the server is up and running, rMod is installed, but I'm trying to figure out how to edit the actual map. We are trying to build a "Central Outpost" of sorts, for players to be able to access. We're going for the docks in Cherno. Having that said, sandbags just doesn't do it for us. I'd like to build ACTUAL fortifications, similar to what they show in the video for rMod. Walls like those used in the "Thunderdome" we've all been forced into so many times, only not boxes high. Just 1 box high.

I've already unpacked the pbo file, snagged the mission file out of it and opened it in the 2d mission editor, but I'm not sure how to actually place things. Anyone got any ideas? If this just WILL NOT work, I guess we can go with just sandbags and tank traps and such, but I'd like so much to be able to actually build a new interesting place on the map to really make it a different experience.

Yes, I'm aware this is not normal DayZ. I'm aware that the DayZ guys will likely not like this. I'm not asking them for help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Im a friend of Rad (the creator of rMod) and if you want to edit the map just open Chernaraus in editor as usual and merge it with the dayz map.. I have done this and Rad merged it with our servers map, it worked for me. Now i have a base :P We love our server :3

Oh and you can find fortifications inside "Empty" category :)

Edited by SxS
  • Like 1

So here's what I'm currently doing.

-Exported DayZ mission file from server to my home pc.

-Extracted the pbo to a folder

-Placed folder into the mpmissions folder in my ArmA 2 documents directory

-Open ArmA 2 running both DayZ and rMod mods

-Create local server

-Load Chernarus Map

-Select the DayZ mission

-Open the mission in the editor

--at this point I run into the roadblock, I can't seem to place anything or edit anything, although I can look at it all day long. Also, opening the mission in the 3d editor doesn't work at all...it just doesn't appear. Do I have to place it in a different location for the 3d editor to work?

• Like 1

press alt and e to go into the 3d editor and build on a new map.

make your base/modifications with the "vehicle" section on the right hand side.

Once you are done.

click the map then on the right click center, after that click group, after that click unit.

SAVE this as a user mission called "new" or whatever.

Download arma 3d to 2d converter and open it, browse to the map you just made and convert it.

close arma.

Now with a shortcut on your desktop for arma, open the target line and after -mod=@dayz;@rmod

add

"c:/path/to/your/dayz/mission.sqm" which might be a saintly one or similar.

Then launch arma, this will open the map for dayz.

now click merge - you then merge this with the map you made in the 3d editor.

which will now be listed as new_2d.

once you have done this - export to usermission as the filename you want on the server to run.

Go into the folder and drag any files it needs like fsm, init files etc.

walla, job done - repack with a pbo tool and upload to your server.

Edited by MessHall
  • Like 2

I'm having an issue saving the map. I click on map from 3d mode, then I click center, then I click group, then I click unit, but it still tells me I need 1 playable unit before saving the map....any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind...placed the unit.

Edited by Psikys

So, I decided to put the issue to bed for the night last night after running into a few issues, and coming back to it today with a fresh start.

I have the new map saved.

I have the mission PBO from my server unpacked.

I open the server map in the map editor, merge it with the new map with changes and save as a user mission. This does not produce a new PBO as so many guides say so, but that's fine. I use BinPBO to repack all files (.sqm, init, and one other file) back into a PBO. I upload that new pbo back to the server (same name as origin file) and launch DayZ. Lo-and-behold...no changes made.

WHAT WRONG LION-O?! SNARF

your obviously doing something wrong.

I'll be on my teamspeak tomorrow if you have mic come on in and i'll help you.but if you are gunna text in there then i can't help you.

85.236.100.85:15307

Edited by MessHall

i followed above steps and it loads the map but i get an error cannot play\edit this mission; it is dependent..... deleted.lingor i do have @lingor and stuff in my start command

Now with a shortcut on your desktop for arma, open the target line and after -mod=@dayz;@rmod

add

I dont think i get it. Shall i create a shortcut of armaoa.exe too my desktop.? Or create new .bat file..?

I cant load into the dayz mission file, i can load in to the new file i made but not to the dayz one, any ideas?

Hi, I am pretty sure that I did this correctly, but maybe I missed something, because...

The things I place don't appear in the game :(

What's more... the position[]= and azimut are different from the: init="this setpos [blah.blah, blah.blah, blah.blah] co-ordinates

Does this matter? :D

press alt and e to go into the 3d editor and build on a new map.

make your base/modifications with the "vehicle" section on the right hand side.

Once you are done.

click the map then on the right click center, after that click group, after that click unit.

SAVE this as a user mission called "new" or whatever.

Download arma 3d to 2d converter and open it, browse to the map you just made and convert it.

close arma.

add

Then launch arma, this will open the map for dayz.

now click merge - you then merge this with the map you made in the 3d editor.

which will now be listed as new_2d.

once you have done this - export to usermission as the filename you want on the server to run.

Go into the folder and drag any files it needs like fsm, init files etc.

walla, job done - repack with a pbo tool and upload to your server.

Quick tut on mission editing.

**ALWAYS save a copy of the origanal PBO from your server when editing**

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Step 1.

Open Arma2OA

Press Alt + E to open map editor

Select the Map you want eg. Chernarus

On the right side, press "Center" double click on the map and set this to "Civilian"

Now do the same for "Group" it will already have the right settings.

Now click "Unit" then double click the map and beside "type" select any human model.

In that same window you will see "Player" and "Playable" set the drop down menu to "Player" default is "AI" and "Playable" Default is "Non-Playable"

Now you can add custom buildings to your map. All available objects are in the "Vehicle" Selection, even buildings.

(DO NOT TRY TO ADD REAL VEHICLES (Cars/trucks/helis.ect). This must be done in your database.)

Now that you have added the custom buildings you want, Save the file to any name you want.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Go to your Servers main directory and look for the MPmissions file and download the PBO file in that folder. Some say dayz1_chernarus some have other names.

You will now need a PBO Packer/Unpacker. PBOManager v1.4 is a good choice for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

You will also need the Arma2 - 3D map to 2D map converter

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 2.

Now that you have downloaded everything.

Open the Arma2 3d map to 2d map converter, click "Open 3D Map" and select the "mission.sqf" file you edited and saved.

This is in MyDocuments\Arma 2 other profiles\yourname\missions\yourmissionname

It will then make another folder inside your Missions folder called yourmissionname_2d.chernarus

Copy and paste this new folder and all its content to your Mydocuments\Arma 2 other profiles\yourname\MPmission folder.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 3.

Merging your missions

Now open your PBO unpacker/packer and import your Servers DayZ MPmission PBO (mission.sqm)

extract the mission.sqm file to your MyDocuments\ArmA2 Other profiles\yourname\MPmissions

Now run Arma2OA.

Select "Multiplayer"

Select "New"

Press "OK"

Then select your difficulty mine is allways "regular" Your map eg: Chernarus and select "<<New - Editor>>" then press "Play"

Now on the right side of the screen press the "Load" button and select your DayZ server mission file.

Now press "Merge" and Select the mission you edited 2D

Now Save the mission and name it anything you want.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 4.

Back to the PBO Packer/Unpacker

Delete the "mission.sqm" file that is inside your servers mpmission PBO (eg: dayz1_chernarus.pbo - delete mission.sqm file)

Copy and Paste the newly saved merged one from your

Arma2 other profiles\your name\MPmissions\NameOfTheMissionYouJustSaved

Now you can re pack the PBO (PBOmanager v1.4 does it automaticly)

Now Upload the new PBO to your servers MPmission folder.

Your done!!!

Please note, this method of mission editing does NOT require rMod and can be done on pretty much any private server.

Edited by DayzBlackHeart
  • Like 3

Thanks for the guide dayzblackheart... i'm hitting a snag on step 3 though, when i open PBO unpacker, it is only showing IFA/PBO has valid file types to open, and the file is saving as .SQM from the editor.

Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Edited by Heroth

I did exactly what you said until take out the mission.sqf of the file.When I did that everything inside the file was deleted

Edited by Bertxsmash

I follwed #13 instructions but when i get to step 3 merge as soon as i do--

Now run Arma2OA.

Select "Multiplayer"

Select "New"

Press "OK"

i get error message "data file too short 'mpmissions\1.chernarus.pbo. Expected 1611 b,got 108 B"......any idea?

• Like 1

I follwed #13 instructions but when i get to step 3 merge as soon as i do--

Now run Arma2OA.

Select "Multiplayer"

Select "New"

Press "OK"

i get error message "data file too short 'mpmissions\1.chernarus.pbo. Expected 1611 b,got 108 B"......any idea?

Edited by markald

So i have rmod running on saintly server setup and can join, i think its working correctly because i added this 'default dayz banned' rather peculiar looking heli "Ka137_PMC" to my database and it spawned in the map. :0 happy dayz (excuse the pun).

so i know how to add vehicles and spawn points for them etc.

my question is all the loot and guns that spawn are still default dayz stuff what do i have to do to get all the 'rMod unbanned' stuff to spawn in the map too?

also how can i use the custom player skins that rMod apparently adds?

Other than vehicles i don't really know how to get the rest of the new stuff in my game.

I'm not wanting to add any buildings with map editor at this point, thanks in advance.

These may be noob questions.... but I've been struggling for three days to upload my map. I'm also sorry if this is "necroposting".

Three things:

-Will this method work for a DayZ.ST Server with bliss, on the map Lingor Island?

-Is it ESSENTIAL to set the center to "civilian"?

-Is there a way to reopen a saved map in the editor and make changes? Or do you have to open a clean copy of Lingor and restart?

Thank you for any and all help!

I cant seem to load the dayz mission in the editor, I get an exception "you cannot play/edit this mission it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted" and then a list of things like dayz_code, dayz_wepons, dayz_vehicles, dayz_equip.

I've looked everywhere and tried many things, it never solves the problem, i've tried asking others to do it for me, they get the same error. Does anyone have the answer? If not, can I give you my sqm file so that you can merge it, then send me the final server map file?

Edited by Meuktwo