FrankDaTank1218 (DayZ)

Thermal and night vision should be removed

I have been playing for a few months now and just found my first L85. It's very difficult to use at close range so imo it's not OP. it's also very rare so makes a great reward to players who find one after many hours of searching.

Night Vision is Fine....

Thermal is Fine....

This feels the same as people complaining about Barb Wire.....

Deal with it... game will go on with/out you..

I just don't have time to debate some dude's child on the issue.

Night Vision is Fine....

Thermal is Fine....

This feels the same as people complaining about Barb Wire.....

Deal with it... game will go on with/out you..

I just don't have time to debate some dude's child on the issue.

First off, okay, Stroup is right, I also mentioned this in the OP, the nightvision should be removed until it is altered to be limited by batteries, then re-implemented.

Thermal, I have already stated why it is OP, you can't just ay "its fine, shutup" and its acceptable. Why exactly do you think super high tech unlimited (no battery limitations) X-ray vision is appropriate for Dayz and not OP?

I agree to some extent but there is also the point that some of us want to enjoy the game and I don't see it being "more fulfilling" at all there has to be a point where fun is kept in the game or it isn't really a game anymore now is it??

"No thermal = I can't enjoy the game"

Yet I'm the crybaby, :rolleyes: learn to deal with night time, or learn to find targets without them glowing bright white, neither of those are hard to accomplish

Stop being unreasonable. If no one else had NV's or thermal to use against you, dealing with the tradeoffs of no light versus revealing glowsticks/flashlights/flares would be very fun in the spirit of DAYZ.

Edited by FrankDaTank1218

"No thermal = I can't enjoy the game"

That's a sweet strawman.

• Like 1

Not reading it all.

Agree.

Not a very good idea. This would make playing at night too hard.

While I am rarely in favor of removing items I would not cry if the L85 thermal was removed from the game (I have it on two maps right now and will only drop it when forced), but I agree with the sentiment that NVG should stay if night is as terrible as it is currently. I know use flashlights, flares, and chemlights but all of those come with drawbacks and if NVG were rare it would be a nice reward for finding rare equipment to have better vision without giving up your position, also if you suspect the person you are fighting has NVG and/or a thermal scope you should throw flares to take away that advantage. Since we are talking about standalone (at least I am assuming that is the point since the mod will probably not get a ton of developer attention in the coming months) lets stop discussing the obvious problem of gear inflation through duping and hacking. If NVG were rare and had durability issues (been discussed at length by developers) then they would not be all that common nor would people use them as frequently as they do now, problem solved. The L85 is not OP besides the optics, otherwise it is a run of the mill STANAG gun that is very difficult to use in close quarters if crosshairs are turned off and tends to give the person tunnel vision. You might be smart enough to do a 360 scan, but most only do that once or twice and if you see the guy turning around just start firing before he even has a chance to lock in with the thermal. The AS50 TWS (or AWS too lazy to look it up) is insanely OP since the scope gives a wider FOV, is easier on the eyes, and is a one shot kill, but that gun is not supposed to be in Dayz in the first place so lets not even discuss it as part of a legitimate discussion. If you see a sniper team drop the guy with the thermal first and then take on the sniper since he will no longer have a spotter helping him locate where the shots are coming from.

The instant hostility toward different opinions is most likely uncalled for but this has been discussed to death over the last four months, but then again so has every topic so I will not fault you too much there.

That's a sweet strawman.

No that's his point exactly. He didn't agree with me fully because he wanted to enjoy the game, meaning agreeing with me = can't enjoy the game, what he wouldn't agree to is removing Thermal, therefore, he is saying that he feels he can't enjoy the game if there is no Thermal.

Like 80% of people, you cry "straw man" without fully understanding what it even means.

Paraphrasing =/= straw man

Not a very good idea. This would make playing at night too hard.

I raise a legitimate criticism and explain it out with reasoning. Response:

"stop crying"

Hockeyguy, "This would make playing at night too hard!!"

Response:

*Nobody says anything.*

^That quote up there is crying, not my post.

Edited by FrankDaTank1218

Paraphrasing =/= straw man

It is when you misrepresent what he's saying.

To the Op.

DayZ, much like life is 3 things: brutal, short and unfair.

Also much like life People on DayZ are opportunistic pricks who will use any advantage they can get to better their own situation.

Also like Life, People in DayZ must adapt to the situation handed to them, or be destroyed in the process. Might makes right!

I used to hate being sniped and constantly killed, I learned, adapted and now I don't care. If I get killed it was because I was not observant enough or I made a mistake that gave the other guy the advantage.

The Issue is not that these weapons are in the game, its that there are too many left over from all the hackers, and item duplicating tents.

Edited by DickSharpe

Lots of these have come but.. Wouldn't be sad to see them go.

Step 1) Get rid of thermal (there's no reason this should be in the game)

Step 2) Put batteries on Night Vision (15-30 min use of NV)

step3) profit

I have nvgs in real life and they last for lots of hours. Battery consumption is minimal.

It's not completely unreasonable that there would be some military tech, however limited, available in this type of situation, especially when there are multiple military complexes across the map. This scarcity isn't fairly represented right now yes, but that's due to duping/hacking, current loot system. Standalone is coming soon and should fix most of this, so these tools will be much more rare, and much less of a threat.

As for the batteries and what not affecting both NVGs and thermal, Rocket has said he wants to have gear require maintenance, especially military, it just isn't possible with the current engine. He feels confident he'll be able to do what he wants in standalone and create more cons to using a military gear other than just ammo and being a target. I'm sure the need of batteries or recharging for these tools is either already on the table for them, or is a possibility.

Basically, bickering about this now is more or less pointless, as all work is going into the new game, and we cannot discuss balancing there until we are able to see what standalone has to offer.

• Like 1

Stop bitching about it. Don't like it don't play, it's that simple. The thing I find funny is you're whining about it now but give you half the chance and you will throw on pair of NV goggs and not give two shits. Also out of all the things that are unfair in DayZ you pick the one that means nothing to whine about. Lastly if you follow Rocket's activities then you will know that it will be implemented int the standalone

Hi. This must be the millionth thread on this subject, it has been discussed frequently and at length. Please try to do a quick search and add to ongoing debates. Cheers.

Will batteries really nerf NVG that much? I have yet to find any but surely it wouldn't take more than a few seconds to do a full sweep outside population centra and once you've seen someone you'll only need to turn it on and off for less then a second to get a bearing for pursuit. A 10-minute battery would last forever.

Players without NVG are actually handling NVG players quite well - by only playing on day servers. If you want to kick some life into night time playing then NVG and thermal must go.

Thermals should be removed. NVG should be veeeery rare and should need batteries, that would be quite common.

Ahmm...

Let's think: DayZ is a real zombie game, based in real facts.

Night Vision and Thermal vision are REAL, they do EXIST. They need to BE in DayZ, they must BE there.

Battery system will be added in future probably so don't worry about it.

Ahmm...

Let's think: DayZ is a real zombie game, based in real facts.

Night Vision and Thermal vision are REAL, they do EXIST. They need to BE in DayZ, they must BE there.

Battery system will be added in future probably so don't worry about it.

You say Dayz is based in real facts...Partially true. Because you know... In a zombie apocalypse the military(Specially if they are geared with those REAL items) are not going to lose. You know what I mean, and they are going to flee in the worst case, maybe leaving some of their weapons, but these weapons break, they can be lost... So it´s not that unreal to think there are no thermals in DAYZ.

Apart from this, there has to be some kind of balance. Tanks also exist, but they should not be added to the game because they are a game-breaker. Anyway, if the loot system is really revisited(No item duping, no loot spawning as it does...), I don´t mind if they keep it, but assuming they are EXTREMELY RARE.

Also I forgot to mention that "night" system also needs a revamp, because you should be able to hold a torch while holding a pistol, and you should be able to use some kind of adhesive tape to attach it to a main weapon. And not only that, movement needs to be revamped, the light is not a circle in which you can see and outside that you cannot... And so on.

Edited by Mitor
  • Like 1