Sign in to follow this  
alsmir

DMR effective range?

I've never used DMR much but lately decided to give it a chance.

I'm looking for some raw stats/info about DMR damage, especially on distances over 500m. According to DayZ wiki it's supposed to deal 8000 blood damage, but does the damage drop after bullet travels xxx m?

I've been playing on a private server and noticed that putting 2 bullets into a body of a player doesn't even knock them down (tested on targets ~200m, ~400m and ~500m away). Another player on that server made some more tests and told me that on 700m distance DMR deals around 1k blood damage.

Is this gun really that bad for sniping or is it just the issue with the server?

I'm pretty sure it does 8k damage at any distance.

• Like 1

7.62 damage is pretty fucked, imo. It should knock people down in 1 shot but it doesn't, whatever.

Maximum effective range though... I would say 600m and I say this for a few reasons and I will state them.

#1 It doesn't have zeroing, unzoomed it is zero'd for 300m and zoomed it is zero'd for 400m

#2 To hit shots over 400m you have to use the mildots which can be very inaccurate and awkward to use

#3 As stated, the 7.62 damage is very unrealistic and I constantly see people running away from a 7.62 shot to the chest, happened to me just 1 hour ago.

It is more of a marksman rifle than a sniper rifle.

If you want to snipe properly in this game, you really need to use a .50 cal which really sucks, I am not a fan of them and think DayZ loot spawns need a giant overhaul. The reason I say the .50cals are the only real way to go is because of alt+f4ers.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've hit someone and they've disconnected!

Sure, it's my fault for not hitting them in the head but this can be extremely hard at times, especially when you're range finding off mildots.

In my opinion, the M24 is a lot better if you're a good shot and know how to use the thing

• Like 1

DMR sucks man. If you want a light sniperrifle, go m24.

Dmr should only be used at less than 400m, or at very still targets (or zeds).

Don't bother to fire against moving targets, you will miss and then just leave.

Don't fire against vehicles, its like trying to hurt a tank with a makarov, its uselsess. They just turn around and kill you.

The only use of DMR is probably to hunt boars and zeds, or maybe scare away some looters trying to get your beans.

*(1 dmr mag = 4 m24 mags)

the M24 is pretty decent because you're able to zero it out but the DMR is a decent gun. I was able to hit a target 950m out with 2 shots he died...at 600m I can just 1 shot someone prone but again you have to get use to the mil dots and know how far each one is. I would suggest you look into a guide about the gun to have a better picture/understanding of the different range on each mil dot to be able to effectively use it properly.

I would prefer the DMR than the M24

People complain about the DMR because they don't have the zeroing

AND yes I can shoot moving targets 800m out.

Edited by JuRaii

Thx for reply sarkasm0.

To the rest of you:

Read my post before replying.

I'm not asking if M24 is better, or if DMR sux because of mildots.

I just want to know if DMR damage significantly dropping with distance is normal or just the fault of the private server I was playing on.

• Like 1

Thx for reply sarkasm0.

To the rest of you:

I just want to know if DMR damage significantly dropping with distance is normal or just the fault of the private server I was playing on.

I merely answered your question and added in some extra info to further help you out, no need to be a dick about it :/

I merely answered your question and added in some extra info to further help you out, no need to be a dick about it :/

I'm not trying to be a dick. I just want the info of DMR damage, hopefully from people who use this gun often. I know there are better sniper rifles than DMR.

1k meter=2 shots which is normal for the DMR if you get a low body shot on them.

at 600m you can easily do a 1 shot if you get them right.

8k dmg per shot recoil ain't so bad as well

Edited by JuRaii

the dmr is zeroed at 400m, every mildot is about 100m so one mildot lower for 300m targets and 1 higher for 500m. i think knowing this you can shoot until you have your target in the mildots. 800m is stilla sure shot on still targets

this is not bad buddy: they have the same 8000 damage and this means one slot occupied in the inventory versus 4.

thay are almost the same rifle, one bolt action the other semiauto. i prefere m24 too, but you said a lot of senseless words

the dmr is zeroed at 400m, every mildot is about 100m so one mildot lower for 300m targets and 1 higher for 500m. i think knowing this you can shoot until you have your target in the mildots. 800m is stilla sure shot on still targets

The zero depends on zoom. At full zoom its 400m. I haven't used it enough, nor do I want to be killing targets at 300m with the DMR, but I believe each zoom is 100m, fully unzoomed is 100m, next level 200m, next 300m and full zoom 400m. Then you start using the mildots over 400m.

I haven't had success with it over 400m though. I rarely get a target not moving at over 400m which thus far is a really hard shot for me. I can still hit moving targets between 400m-500m really often with the M14 so for me its not really worth packing a DMR for that very rare occasion where I see a target not moving between 500m and 800m. Theres just alot of waiting and camping to get a non moving target at these ranges. The AS50 and M107 on the other hand, you can hit shots from alot further away, so if your going to snipe, I really don't think the DMR is worth the space.

Edited by sostronk

i prefere m14 too, if you want to kill someone further than 400m in dayz you are a murderer

I have a few thousand zombie kills with the DMR. I pretty much will not engage survivors unless they are within 500m. Non-agroed zombie kills at 500-800m are still quite easy with the DMR, but under 500m I have lead and hold over pretty much worked out.

DMR sucks man. If you want a light sniperrifle, go m24.

Dmr should only be used at less than 400m, or at very still targets (or zeds).

Don't bother to fire against moving targets, you will miss and then just leave.

Don't fire against vehicles, its like trying to hurt a tank with a makarov, its uselsess. They just turn around and kill you.

The only use of DMR is probably to hunt boars and zeds, or maybe scare away some looters trying to get your beans.

DMR ain't that bad. 6 shoots all you need to down a fully working tractor. Also I've gotten kills on 700m with moving targets.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

I've had several one hit kills on survivors in the 500-700 meter range. I'd be pretty confident that a head shot at 800-1,000 meters would also kill in one shot.

Though from what I understand, every gun decreases in damage based on how far the bullet travels. I've seen a formula for it but can't remember it at the moment. So if you're used to firing other guns at range like the M24 then the drop for the DMR is the same.

DMR is still my favorite weapon just because it's harder to use and fires faster. Just clicking on something to zero the weapon is far too easy :P

The DMR has 1 or 2 shots to kill on body. It is a fine weapon really, you just have to be patient before you start shooting stalk the target until you have a clear shot that you that you're sure that you will hit.

I've killed people 1km+ away with the DMR, might be hard to get used to it.

Need practice with long shots? go to electro go on to of the hills and shoot the chickens in the town, that is always fun^^

Maybe u got something here, ive hit a guy on a motorbike ~700m away, ~4 times(body) and he didnt die. I was using a DMR.

Got shoot yesterday with a m24, from about ~300m and i lost ~5k blood. I looted an m24 after ive killed him with my as50.

Perhaps DMR/m24/m14 have a serious dmg drop at increasing range.

Maybe u got something here, ive hit a guy on a motorbike ~700m away, ~4 times(body) and he didnt die. I was using a DMR.

Got shoot yesterday with a m24, from about ~300m and i lost ~5k blood. I looted an m24 after ive killed him with my as50.

As soon as the projectile leaves the muzzle it begins to lose velocity because there is no longer any propellant to accelerate it. When a cartridge is being tested/designed/reloaded, one of the standard tests is to use a chronograph to accurately measure the velocity of the projectile as it leaves the muzzle. Using some of the parameters that are available, such as the weight of the projectile, the diameter of the projectile and the velocity it is possible to calculate the muzzle energy in either ft/lbs or joules. Even though I prefer metric, reloading is pretty much all in standard so I use ft.lbs. My m14 clone produces roughly 2200+ ft/lbs of muzzle energy. As the velocity decreases the drop becomes more pronounced and the energy available in the projectile is less, because it has already given some of the energy up to friction and gravity.

So, considering that ArmA 2 already fairly accurately models bullet drop, you can see that the drop gets progressively worse beyond 500m so it is reasonable to assume the damage model follows suit.

Thx for reply sarkasm0.

To the rest of you:

This is just from my personal opinion, but it seems like the damage does drop off past X meters.

I was in the woods when I spotted 2 people in the clearing. Me, being an asshole and wanting to test my new DMR, took a shot at one of them, after just learning how to use the mildots. (700m)

Dude didn't even fall over. I fired 3 more shots, only one of which hit him again, and he was still up and running.

No they don't. But arma 2 has a somewhat random dmg sometimes. The dmr only need 2 shoots to kill at 500m.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

i prefere m14 too, if you want to kill someone further than 400m in dayz you are a murderer

thats not true

sniping snipers on cherno roofs is not murdering if they have ghillie, AS50 and are like "HURRDURR IMA SO COOL SNOIPA"

i love using the DMR for this, 800m sure shot and they dont get the chance to disconnect in time