Talyessin

Growing Food/Harvesting?

Even if this particular idea doesn't make it, I would love to see rare spawns of apple or pear trees around that you can harvest fruit from. Fruit could have the benefit of sating your hunger and regenerating a tiny bit of hydration, the downside is that the fruit will only last a certain amount of time in your inventory before it rots.

Man, this is DayZ - not farmville.

But I have to admit, it could be fun to have something for the hash pipe. Calm down, it's just a joke!

I don't see how allowing players to grow their own food ruins dayz.

Hey lets turn dayz into farmville so we can harvest crops daily!

NO!! no no no no no and no! besides why would you want to do that in the first place when you have a supermarket and animals in the fields?

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48022-control-rural-industry/

I made a thread, partially influenced by the discussion here, about controlling Rural industry and also...

NO!! no no no no no and no! besides why would you want to do that in the first place when you have a supermarket and animals in the fields?

why you would want too.

Cannay be arsed reading? Botany as well!

YE should be able to have 2 new permafixtures - Cultivation Plot and GreenHouse

I think this can be taken a step forward and not just do farming, but also have items for hunting.

For instance, find a duck decoy that you can plant in the water and it causes a duck flock to appear of random size. You shoot them for food with hunting knife. (Dangerous since people can hear the gun fire)

Salt lick for deer.

Fishing plumb + hook (from paper clips) + fishing line (which can be used for other item combos, like IEDs)

Improvised traps

Random spawning of vegetable gardens in small towns, to each or use in item combos.

I think since Day Z will be a Stand Alone game now that growing/harvesting your own food could become a real possibility.

One idea that could work and I believe it may have been said by someone else, but I am going to say it here as well . Hydroponics, this would allow players who have built a long term base for survival to grow food and continue building the base.There would be time to grow the food especially now that the game is going stand alone and things would be more permanent .I think would solve the growing food issue for players.

Edited by Talyessin

I'm fairly certain I saw something about the months in game being cycled every month or so, so in the span of one real year, we'd have something like three DayZ years. It would make it so crops would be harvest-ready in the span of a few weeks, instead of months.

Lemme find a link to that if I can.

But anyway, while it would be unrealistic to plant and wait for crops to grow so you could pick them, at least, outside of player bases, there ARE farms around the area, and I've seen many an empty field. (Save for the zombies trying to munch my face off.)

Perhaps crops could spawn there on a set time period, giving another reason to explore around barns. I also agree with the wild tree spawns too. But, just so we can have fun with new people, we should have berries that make you sick after you eat 'em.

"Growing" food, no. I do think finding edible plants or possibly medicinal plants for curing injury/sickness could be usefull. I don't want to garden when I should be scavenging. Maybe Rocket can make a real-time strategy Dayz for this.

I love the idea of growing your own food - it's an excellent concept and should be implemented.

To the guys, who prefer the "survival" aspect of the game - running about from building to building isn't really that realistic, eg baked beans spawning every reboot etc ....

The only issue I see with this is that crops/bases need to be server specific - so probably, random trees with fruits and berries for food and herbs and stuff for medicine is more than likely the better option.

I admit though, to have your own little piece of dirt that you need to defend, with you own water, food etc ... is a great concept and would add tremendous value to the game IMO.

Agree with Farming idea needs to be part of "Player Life Value" skills building so we can have Farmers, Tailors, Builders, Inventors, Medics, Hunters, Gathering skills eg Woodsman, Trapper, even soldier skill classes.

But this needs much more in game gear than spawning guns and food, and wood, berries, seeds eg would mainly be found foraging

Homoeopathic Medical supplies - ie natural remedies, ie knowledge of herbs and plant preparation

Acidcloud

You are so right this isnt a survival game when we are all depended on the "Game Higher Power" of spawning cans of beans, dry rice or cereals,

it only becomes true survival when we can start growing, hunter / gathering or making stuff. 

Acidcloud