Sign in to follow this  
flygamer1

Standalone in graphical terms.

seems alot of ppl here don't know what positive/negative mouse accleration actually is, and how arma controls have both of these, 1 on each axis

basically it's not 1:1 mouse movement

Edited by WhipDiddyWhip

This is where I feel this game is going to be a bit of a disappointment, we all know what happens when games are rushed and when a project starts off poorly will usually end poorly. I know he doesn't want to be beaten by the competition WarZ and whoever the other one was but to say he doesn't have "Time" to start again sounds like he is dying from a terminal disease. The Arma2 engine wasn't just buggy in DayZ it was buggy in Arma2 and I doubt he is going to make that much of an impact on the engine.

Take on Helis has been out for a year now, is part of the arma series ,although it is its own standalone branch away, and he has the guys who made it working alongside of him. Bonus item is that is has an improved physics model. Using TOH as a base does not sound rushed to me and it makes absolutely no sense to start again with a scratch built engine.

As Rocket has stated plenty of times , a lot of the things that do not work well in dayz because of the arma base are because they are only mucking around on the outskirts of the engine. With the standalone they will be delving right into the guts to make it suit. I would imagine they will make quite an impact as compared to what we have currently. Read the one line thread and the qa thread.

I don't think he will be too fussed if warz beats him to punch on a release although it is always good to be first out the door i would not imagine it would be too worrying.

Some from the one line thread..

2. Q: What are some improvements we might see when DayZ is ported to RV4 (Arma3) engine? [blaf]

A: DayZ will run on a branched Take On helicopters (RV3) engine. It is already being customized to DayZ specific needs. The main improvement is an engine tailored to DayZ's specific needs. An example being weapons being objects on a character and not stored simply as a string reference, this means the object can have durability, enhancements, etc...

DayZ is branching from ArmA2, the method we are using for recording things such as weapons means we can be much bolder

66: Q: Are you going to work on optimization of the game engine to increase FPS? It seems that now you can only play comfortably in DayZ if you have the newest top hardware.

A: Very significant optimization is being done, much of it already in progress.

Q: Can we expect improved performance for the standalone-game or should people with weaker computers who can barely play the mod start spending money on their pcs?

A: performance will be much better.

Q: How much freedom will you be given with the standalone release? (eg. Game mechanics, UI)

A: Absolute. Expect complete change. Change is good!

Q: This may sound a tad rude, but many people agree: ARMA II was poorly optimized which causes many of us to get poor FPS. Has this been addressed in the new engine for the standalone?

A: I wouldn't agree ArmA2 is poorly optimized. But yes, it is not optimized for the purposes of something like DayZ, and that is easy enough to address as a standalone.

Edited by Hetstaine

Re the mouse movement, someone posted a good thread on it a while back that summed it up very well, do some forum digging :) . Personally i have minimal issues with it but your mileage may vary depending on what you are used to i suppose, I find most other mainstream games are extremely easy point and shoot pieces of piss to kill. Under split second raise gun/scope/shoot/instakill sniper rifles that are just a fucking joke. The arma style seems to put everyone on more of a level playing field.